Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
HailStorm

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BlackBerry Desktop Manager slow sync with outlook

Please Login to Remove!

I've just discovered an important indicator of why the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is very slow when synchronizing PIM data with MS Outlook via USB cable. RIM software development or their purchased software libraries are extreemly inefficient when writing updates to the "Synchronization Progress" pop-up window. I have two different computers and the results are the same. Here are the details of my test
- Verizon Blackberrry Pearl, Phone software: 4.5.0.77 ( I've tried 3 different software version and a completedly new Pearl with the same results).
- Desktop Manager: 4.7.0.32 (I've tried multiple versions, with old versions 4.3 working fine but newer ones, 4.5, 4.7 showing the slow behavior).
- I have 1,400 contacts, 600 calendar items, 200 tasks in MS Outlook.
- PC 1: HP Compaq 6910p, Dual core, 4 GB RAM.
- PC 2: HP Pavilion 763n, Single core (2.5 Ghz), 1 GB RAM
- MS Outlook 2003 (office SP3).
- I repeatedly (6 times) sync with no changes on either the Blackberry or MS Outlook. Thus no updates are needed on either side.
- I use Process Explorer v10.21 to watch the behavior of Desktop Manager (DM), cpu, memory, etc.)

A) When I run the the sync normally, so I can see the "Synchronization Progress" window, it takes 4.5 minutes CPU is very busy (90% +). This is excruciatingly slow. About 10 times slower than the older DM v4.3.

BUT

B) When I run the the sync AND ICONIFY the main window, "Working - Blackberry Desktop Manager" and the pop-up window, "Synchronization progress", it only takes 50 Seconds and the CPU is less busy (75%). The sync is 5 times faster when I iconify the "Synchronization Progress" window!.

I am a software developer, and this tells me that the software algorithm (and/or software libraries) used to create/update the "Synchronization progress" pop-up window is very, very inefficient. It is a poor design and implementation when a simple progress bar and item counter take so much CPU that they slow the real work (synchronization) by 500%!

RIM, please get this fixed. It should be trivial.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Have you ran "scanpst.exe" on your PST files, if the pst file is corrupt then it will increase the sync time.

What do mean by iconify?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
jimbosj

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Guys, I suffer the interminable sync problem too. Your's seems to be the most intellegent reply yet. But . . . how to "Iconofy" No hablo.
Also, i notice that over time the contact photos(pictures, images) get distorted. They seem to be "updating" themselves with RIM newly generated Picture numbers each time i sync. it's making the photos wider and distorted. Any suggestions.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
jimbosj

Carrier: verizon
Default Bbdm 5

THat's-a-niiiice!
I found BBDM 5.0 and it's wonderful. Back to a 30 second sync! be sure to delete appts and contacts off of device before resynciing wiht new DM. otherwise conflicts. apples and oranges.
now im happy, new dm and new os!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
scott0482

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Just so everyone gets it. Mimimize the window. That's what he means by ICONIFY.

I just cut someone's sync time down from literally an hour and 10 minutes, to about 5-10 minutes.

he has 6500 contacts, and 6000 calendar items btw. and he wants all of his calendar items on both BB and Outlook so he can look up where he was and when.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
IloveMyPu$$yCat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100t
Carrier: at and t

I have seen this with DOS prompts in 2000, XP when using robocopy.
It has to write the data to the screen which takes more time
He purrs mad loud
Old 08-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
XPALM

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT
Default Thank you!! - slow sync

I have had a PDA 12 years, a Treo for 1 yr, and a BB Bold 6 months (becasue I had to 'fit' into corporate. I have been searching for a rational response to the INCREDIBLY slow sync for 5.99 months. Every other discussion and thread that I have seen up to now basically said:

NEWBY: Why is the BB sync excruciatingly slow?
BBPRO: If you don't like it, maybe you should be more open minded and evaluate what you really want in a device i.e. "This is a BB, how dare you criticize, go back to your old PDA."

How wonderful to see HailStorm's rational response, "RIM, please get this fixed. It should be trivial." My Treo with the same 1500 contacts and 1500 calendar entries synced about 17 times faster. The algorithm is simple - tag any entries that are added/changed/deleted and only compare/update those.

Thanks for a ray of hope. Maybe someone could work on the global search capability next...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
XPALM

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Just downloaded DM v5.0. sync went from 6 minutes to 12 seconds. HURRAY!!!! (FYI - Now it is the same speed when minimized).
Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 AM   #9
cscott44

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint/Verizion

I need to keep my on both my desktop at work and laptop at home can I install desktop manager on both and sync? I use outlook 2007 on the laptop and 2003 at work.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #10
digit323

Carrier: Verizon
Default Feexed!

Genius! That worked. Who could have guessed this (but a programmer). Thanks to HailStorm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailStorm View Post
I've just discovered an important indicator of why the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is very slow when synchronizing PIM data with MS Outlook via USB cable. RIM software development or their purchased software libraries are extreemly inefficient when writing updates to the "Synchronization Progress" pop-up window. I have two different computers and the results are the same. Here are the details of my test
- Verizon Blackberrry Pearl, Phone software: 4.5.0.77 ( I've tried 3 different software version and a completedly new Pearl with the same results).
- Desktop Manager: 4.7.0.32 (I've tried multiple versions, with old versions 4.3 working fine but newer ones, 4.5, 4.7 showing the slow behavior).
- I have 1,400 contacts, 600 calendar items, 200 tasks in MS Outlook.
- PC 1: HP Compaq 6910p, Dual core, 4 GB RAM.
- PC 2: HP Pavilion 763n, Single core (2.5 Ghz), 1 GB RAM
- MS Outlook 2003 (office SP3).
- I repeatedly (6 times) sync with no changes on either the Blackberry or MS Outlook. Thus no updates are needed on either side.
- I use Process Explorer v10.21 to watch the behavior of Desktop Manager (DM), cpu, memory, etc.)

A) When I run the the sync normally, so I can see the "Synchronization Progress" window, it takes 4.5 minutes CPU is very busy (90% +). This is excruciatingly slow. About 10 times slower than the older DM v4.3.

BUT

B) When I run the the sync AND ICONIFY the main window, "Working - Blackberry Desktop Manager" and the pop-up window, "Synchronization progress", it only takes 50 Seconds and the CPU is less busy (75%). The sync is 5 times faster when I iconify the "Synchronization Progress" window!.

I am a software developer, and this tells me that the software algorithm (and/or software libraries) used to create/update the "Synchronization progress" pop-up window is very, very inefficient. It is a poor design and implementation when a simple progress bar and item counter take so much CPU that they slow the real work (synchronization) by 500%!

RIM, please get this fixed. It should be trivial.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
hankloud

Model: 8310
Carrier: att

Unbeleiveable, I installed DM 5.0.1, sychronizing was rediculously slow. I have been searching for 2 days to find a solution and finally found this post and it works - sychronized quickly after minimizing DM. RIM should be ashamed for putting out software with such a pittiful flaw. Users should not have waste time like this!!! RIM should man-up and post a response until they correct the problem.
Closed Thread