BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
ClintEastwood

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Can the BB Pearl record video clips?

Please Login to Remove!

I know the camera features, and I have watched the 'media' demo, but can you record videos, or have video's downloaded to your Pearl?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Impaler80s
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 31B54365
Carrier: Sprint

can't record them on the Pearl.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #3
PsychoMaiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Record videos? No. Download videos? Yes and no. The videos needs to be in a certain format for them to play. There are threads on the forum that discusses how to format them and upload them from your computer to your Pearl.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

You can download movies to your pearl to watch. There is plenty of info available here to help you convert video files to be viewed on your pearl

Last edited by tprime; 05-15-2007 at 12:55 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintEastwood View Post
I know the camera features, and I have watched the 'media' demo, but can you record videos, or have video's downloaded to your Pearl?
This has been covered in many threads. But for the zillionth time:

1. Can you record videos?: NO! [the Pearl is not a video camera, nor a video recorder].

2. Have video's downloaded to your Pearl?: NO! [if you mean download from the Net].

But you can play videos on the Pearl.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-14-2007 at 11:24 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
Perfect Storm

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco View Post
This has been covered in many threads. But for the zillionth time:

1. Can you record videos?: NO! [the Pearl is not a video camera, nor a video recorder].

2. Have video's downloaded to your Pearl?: NO! [if you mean download from the Net].

But you can play videos on the Pearl.
Yes you can, as long as they are correct format and below a certain size (5MB I think...less if BES is configured)
Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Storm View Post
Yes you can, as long as they are correct format and below a certain size (5MB I think...less if BES is configured)
Well, no one on BBF has talked about downloading videos from the net and saving them on to the Pearl. At least not that I have seen. If it can be done, it sure does not seem practical.

Do you know of someone who has done this and talked about it on BBF? If so, point us to it as I am curious.

To be sure, all I have ever read is about people having difficulty in downloading large files and saving them on the Pearl, pics and attachments, for example.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-14-2007 at 11:52 PM..
Old 05-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
GrayPenguin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 23EAF79C
Carrier: Cingular

There are a very few videos on tinytube that have worked when I have downloaded them. They have to be ridiculously short (like 30 seconds - 1 min) So for the most part, you can't really.

Edit: For instance, I was just able to download and play this video which I found by doing a search for short on tinytube.net on my Pearl.

Last edited by GrayPenguin; 05-15-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayPenguin View Post
There are a very few videos on tinytube that have worked when I have downloaded them. They have to be ridiculously short (like 30 seconds - 1 min) So for the most part, you can't really.

Edit: For instance, I was just able to download and play this video which I found by doing a search for short on tinytube.net on my Pearl.
I remember when the TinyTube subject came up on BBF. Although the concept was cool, as I recall most of us could not get it to work. I know when I tried I did get about 10 seconds of one clip to work, but that was it. Seems it was an issue with our Pearls, as TinyTube worked on other phones, as I recall.

But I still am not aware of anyone downloading megabytes of video from the Pearl's browser and storing them on the Pearl's micro-SD chip.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #10
jayf63
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm not sure there is a size limit, or it's probably defined by the OS version. I converted a video clip (using Super C) that comes out to about 27 MB and it plays fine. I'm running the 0.73 Cingular version.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Picasosz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile-Verizon

The Pearl will be able to record video's when you learn where the freakin search button is. NEVER
Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM   #12
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayf63 View Post
I'm not sure there is a size limit, or it's probably defined by the OS version. I converted a video clip (using Super C) that comes out to about 27 MB and it plays fine. I'm running the 0.73 Cingular version.
The OP and the posts are NOT discussing converting videos for the Pearl, he wanted to know about downloading videos from the Net and if the Pearl has video recording capabilities.

There is no limit to the size of videos that can be played on the Pearl, except for the size of one's MicroSD card. That is, videos that have been converted into Pearl format and transferred on to a MicroSD card. I have played 900 MB movies on the Pearl.

See the sticky and other threads for info about converting video for the Pearl.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasosz View Post
The Pearl will be able to record video's when you learn where the freakin search button is. NEVER
The sad reality is that every day someone will join BBF and ask questions without doing a search. What really frosts me is when they title their threads "Need help" or "Urgent," etc.

And of course the biggest "felons" are those who say they did and search when it is obvious they did not. To lie about it, that's banning behavior in my book.

Back on the subject, I hear from the rumor mill that RIM will be coming out with a Pearl that records video, but so far it has not been announced in the new versions of the Pearl coming out in Sept 07. Maybe it will be included, but I suspect it will be fairly rudimentary, certainly not like our digital camera video recorders. But in a pinch, I think any video camera is better than nothing.

A few weeks ago there was that tanker that blew up and melted the freeway, here in the Bay Area. The news featured a video of the fire burning. Source of the video, a person who shot the scene with his cell phone video camera. The quality was so so, but it still looked awesome, to see the fire as it was occurring. I kinda wanted to know what cell phone he had because the video was pretty good for a cell phone shooting at night.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 05-15-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Closed Thread