Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
jhfry

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Cisco VPN tethering before windows logon

Please Login to Remove!

My organization currently uses AirCards to VPN into our network. We require that our users connect to the VPN prior to logging into windows to ensure that Policies and Scripts run at logon.

We would like to do the same with our BES connected Blackberrys (Sprint and Verizon) and tethering.

The problem is this, our BES policies enforce a password on all connected phones... so in order to tether, you must first enter the device password.

I have yet to discover a way to have the BB Device Manager start before logging into windows. I tried starting it with the Cisco VPN software, which can start some applications, but not the BB Device Manager.

Is there a 3rd party tool or script I can run via the Cisco VPN's application loader to supply the password, allowing the modem drivers to start, so that we can use the Cisco VPN software's built-in DUN dialing abilities?

I know that there are Linux applications that will ask for the password and enable the device for tethering or media transfer, so I suspect that someone has the knowledge of how the BB Device Manager does it, but I haven't seen any third party windows apps that can do it.

To break it down, what I need to happen is:
Windows starts, user presses CTRL+ALT+DEL, the Cisco VPN Client starts, the VPN client triggers an application to start, the application asks the user for their BB device password, the modem device becomes available, the user clicks connect on the VPN client, the client connects the DUN connection, then connects to the VPN gateway, the user logs into the VPN, then the user logs into windows, users Login Scripts run and AD policies are applied.

Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Closed Thread