Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

go to your email client, find an options usually under tools menu and look for a "leave messages on server".
this will leave the message received via your laptop on your mail server, which the BB trolls for emails, and will download when it finds them.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20DD00AA
Carrier: Orange UK

I have stopped automatic send and recieve for now, hopefully for now this should do the trick.

This way i can manually send and recieve.

Thanks once again..

Marley
Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 AM   #23
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

I am amazed with how many people don't truly understand IMAP and what it can do for checking e-mail from multiple locations. Granted, the BlackBerry doesn't handle IMAP well (or at all, really), but IMAP is still the better choice when you check your e-mail from multiple computers. I have had my e-mail in sync across multiple computers for years now using IMAP. I will never use POP3 again.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #24
Marley
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 20DD00AA
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
I am amazed with how many people don't truly understand IMAP and what it can do for checking e-mail from multiple locations. Granted, the BlackBerry doesn't handle IMAP well (or at all, really), but IMAP is still the better choice when you check your e-mail from multiple computers. I have had my e-mail in sync across multiple computers for years now using IMAP. I will never use POP3 again.
I do agree, I misunderstood what IMAP was to be honest and after reading up on it I have decided to stick with POP3, reason is i dont check emails from multiple locations, I have two ways that i always use.

Laptop
BB

Other than that if i aint got one of those two with me, then i am either on holiday or in prison...lol

MArley
Old 06-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #25
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
i suppose it is probably too expensive to set up bes for one bb

Marley

Not always. It depends on the user. ;) Our CFO OK'ed our 20-user BES back in 2004 and he was our first and only user about about a month (I was the second user once I got work to buy a BlackBerry for me). So essentially we had a $3500 BES for only one user. At the time, the only BES for Domino part number I could find was for a 20-user installation (the smaller license counts seemed to be MS Exchange Server-only :( ). He figured that if the experiment worked for him, that there would be others in the company who would be interested in BES. As luck would have it, the user count was 4 after 1 month and 11 after two months).

BES gives you a lot of functionality and integration. Plus BES saves the Administrator 'loads of time' as one Administrator can easily manage a fleet of 2 handhelds as easy as a fleet of hundreds of handhelds. It's a very nice product. Prior to BES we were using mNotes from Common Time UK. However BES is easily 2x easier to administer with 2x less personnel in 2x less the time than other solutions we tried (Xtend Connect Enterprise, mNotes, Cingular Xpress mail Enterprise, etc).

I still say it depends on the user. If BES saves your company time and money, there is no installation too small!

Last edited by Aroc; 06-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Typoegraphical errors.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

yes but he wasnt talking about a company, he was talking about himself only for peronsal use

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBoldAddict View Post
the difference is synchronization.

refer to :FAQ: IMAP vs. POP3
Thanks for the link. I "sort of" knew the difference but that spells it out very nicely.

I would gladly switch to IMAP.....except I have [email address] and don't want to give it up. I also like the virtual addresses (called disposable addresses) on Yahoo (paid version) which really helps in managing my email. I just wish Yahoo would go to IMAP.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #28
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
yes but he wasnt talking about a company, he was talking about himself only for peronsal use
The hosted BES solutions are fairly affordable for the prosumer class of user in this case. RIM used a have a product aimed for the power-user home market (the 'Unite' product) but it seems this product has been discontinued and it may or may not be replaced in the near future. Overall, I find the hosted solution may be best as it's best for e-mail run by a slave. You just don't want that slave to be YOU, IMO.

Last edited by Aroc; 06-23-2009 at 12:31 AM..
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #29
nick.dollimount
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216DF034
Carrier: Rogers

My blackberry is on BIS and connects to my mail through IMAP. Mine syncs fine. When I read a message on my blackberry, give it like 5-10 seconds and it shows as read on my laptop. Same goes for if I delete a message on my blackberry, it deleted on my laptop. This is what I gathered the OP was wanting.

It's not two-way sync in the way that if I read it on my laptop, it stays UNREAD on my blackberry until I open it on the device. Same for deleting.

Now my situation is IMAP on Blackberry and Exchange on Laptop. This should also work the same if it were IMAP on both.

The only time this won't work is if IMAP is used on the Blackberry and then POP is used on the laptop, but I haven't actually tested this setup.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 AM   #30
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Proper IMAP support would mean that whatever is done to the e-mail message on one device is mirrored on all other devices. So, if you delete the e-mail on your desktop, proper IMAP support means that it would also delete off your BlackBerry. This is, unfortunately, not the case, as the BlackBerry does not have proper IMAP support.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Closed Thread