Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default VeriChat MSN/ICQ/AIM/Y -- Improving -- Older Version 1.48b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit by Mark Rejhon
Addendum: This old thread has been superseded by the following:
Verichat 1.70 Download! MSN/ICQ/AIM chat!
(T-Mobile works!)
I am pleased to see that VeriChat is becoming better and better, with these improvements:
  • Jump Immediately to Chat option (Turn off the confirmation Yes/No dialogs)
  • Alert On Every Message option (Set Alert On New Message to 0 minutes)
  • Unread Instant Messages indicator.
  • Performance improvements; Scrolling is much faster!
  • Alert occurs 1 second before interrupting you, so you can stop thumbtyping your email. Great for "Jump Immediately to Chat"
Download:
http://www.verichat.com/verichat_bby...file_real.html
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-07-2005, 12:42 PM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Been beta testing Verichat for a while to make the 1.47b release possible. The remaining big issues I am helping them with, is Verichat stability during problematic radio conditions. Sometimes under BlackBerryOS 4, Verichat suddenly exits, especially if it's been out of coverage, roaming, or the radio gets turned off. Hopefully this will be fixed.

Once this is done, I can say that Verichat has finally 100% completely replaced my WebMessenger in all the most important features!
Old 01-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #10
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default What about us BWC folks?

The next challenge: chat capability for those of us with Blackberry BWC plans, WITHOUT having to shell out even more money for an intermediary BES.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

BES isn't always necessary for Verichat. Please see Configuring Internet On BlackBerry. You need BlackBerryOS 4, and it only works on some carriers.

A lot of formerly-BES software will also work without BES, once you have a properly configured BlackBerryOS 4 device on a properly configured carrier account (with the proper features enabled on your BlackBerry at the carrier side of things).
Old 01-08-2005, 01:04 AM   #12
DizzyV6P

Any way to set it so that only the ones signed on are up top as opposed to right now where I have to keep scrolling down to look for who's signed on or not?

Dizzy
Old 01-08-2005, 01:40 AM   #13
peterjun
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Toggle the Hide Offline Buddies
Old 01-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Version 1.48b is released. It is a little more stable on BlackBerryOS 4 units than Version 1.47b.

I am continuing to send them reports on other instability and connection issues. For some reason, my battery life is better nowadays with the newer versions of Verichat, probably because it's a little more CPU efficient. Hopefully, within the next few weeks, it'll be more reliable than WebMessenger ever was :D I've been running Verichat for 12 hours now, and my battery meter is still at 5 bars.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #15
Johnni

i have been trying to use this for my BB 7510. i have no success. downloads ok, starts up, but after i skip all the protocols except aim (because thats what i want to use), it logs me in...shows the VeriChat logo and a loading bar goes left and right forever. i even waited for like 45 minutes, still no worky. i am running os 4.0.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Johnni

do i have to have a name for all 4 protocols to be able to use it? cant i just use my aim one?
Old 01-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #17
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You don't need all of them. Just disable autologin for all others except for AIM.

You may need to call Nextel and get a static IP address ordered ($3-$4 per month) before things work properly. It uses Nextel's PacketStream data network for the Internet transmissions.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #18
Johnni

alright. that could be it then. so call nextel and order the static ip onto my BB account then?

also, will this let me download webviewer via BB thru wap.blackberryforums.com then? it always says error after selecting 'download'.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #19
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

You need to upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0 for OTA downloads on Nextel, I think. I am not 100% sure.

However, for Reqwireless, you don't need to download over-the-air -- You can download through BlackBerry Desktop using WebViewer 4.0 for BlackBerry Corporate Edition. You don't need a static IP address for webviewer.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #20
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Mark,

I just found this site today and am quite impressed with it, as well as your intricate knowledge of the BlackBerry and supporting services around it. I find the site very informative and a great resource. My hat's off to you for creating this product. Lets hope you attract many advertisers soon so you can continue to support this site! I will certainly be one of them in the future!

Now, that being said, on to the reply...I used and paid for a subscription to Webmessenger which I used for about 6 months. It's an awful product that pales in comparison to the Verichat app. I actually got them to refund my money despite their "shareware" policy, because that product was so poorly designed and their support is even worse. I love Verichat; it doesn't suffer from the many bugs inherrent in Webmessenger and it stays logged on under almost all circumstances, unlike Webmessenger. I downloaded and installed 1.48B today and had an issue similar to an earlier version where is would not connect anymore, despite having answered yes to the socket/connection setup. I kept on getting a connection timout error. I eventaully had to wipe the device clean, uninstall from the app loader and the device, then re-install 3-4 times to get it working, which it now does perfectly. I'm not sure, but I think the only way to "upgrade" versions with this particualr app, is to completely uninstall and then install the current rev. fresh. It is the only I have been able to upgrade my device on at least 2 out of 4 occasions. Some of my other staff have also experienced similar issues on 7280/7290's. PDAAPPS seems to have an issue with the upgrade/install on some devices, perhaps depending on the environment, but there is an issue for sure. I have only this aftermarket application on the device so the OS is relatively clean. I like the enhancements in 1.48B. If you know the people over at PDAAPPS, you might want to mention to them that when they post upgraded files, they might want to list the enhancements/bug fixes. Also, they could use a good support app or knowledge base on the site as it lacks answers to the real issues people are having. Don't get me wrong, they have a phenominal app and I believe it is well thought out and written. I support both you and them. Great job Mark! Keep it up man!
Closed Thread