BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #1
whistler222

Model: 7130g
Default Dropped my BB in toilet

Please Login to Remove!

Ok.. got my 7130g like last week and last night i knocked it off my counter and into the toilet.
F@#R$@#!

took it out, dried it with a dryer.. turned it on, it was buzzing wildly. ;(

waited an hour, turned it on.. now the screen looks like it's really light.. no contrast. and things not working.. panicing!!

waited another hour, turned it on.. now nothing works, but screen appears normal.

the whole time there's a layer of condensation on the inside screen.

waited another hour, now everything works except there's a permanent "shift" function. can't use the enter or click wheel. :(

finally after 5 hours, turned it on, got it to work.. made a phone call..
and now everythinsg normal.

Anyone else drop their bb in water? the thing is so damn slippery!! how do u avoid dropping it? I never drop my cell phones.. ever.

also, should i take it in to have it looked at regardless? or should it be fine now?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.
Carrier: AT&T

whistler222-
If this ever occurs again take the battery out for a couple of days and place your BB under a heat source to completely dry it out. Here is a thread on this topic:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...eats-here.html
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
balibe
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler222
Ok.. got my 7130g like last week and last night i knocked it off my counter and into the toilet.
F@#R$@#!

took it out, dried it with a dryer.. turned it on, it was buzzing wildly. ;(

waited an hour, turned it on.. now the screen looks like it's really light.. no contrast. and things not working.. panicing!!

waited another hour, turned it on.. now nothing works, but screen appears normal.

the whole time there's a layer of condensation on the inside screen.

waited another hour, now everything works except there's a permanent "shift" function. can't use the enter or click wheel. :(

finally after 5 hours, turned it on, got it to work.. made a phone call..
and now everythinsg normal.

Anyone else drop their bb in water? the thing is so damn slippery!! how do u avoid dropping it? I never drop my cell phones.. ever.

also, should i take it in to have it looked at regardless? or should it be fine now?
You can try these, i personally havent used them but hear they are great.

egrips.com - 7100g

balibe@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
"The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"
Old 09-17-2006, 11:38 AM   #4
K-Mack
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

If you take it in to get it looked at it won't be covered under warranty.
The warrany doesn't cover water damage, and the water indicator on the inside of the phone will immediately tell them it's been exposed to water. I keep my BB away from all water sources cause I'm a total Klutz!
Old 09-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
cmcleod
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT/Cingular

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I did the exact thing and had a similar recovery process with my 8700c, including all the buzzing. Worked just fine after a few hours of drying out.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
firsty

I have an idea, try leaving the BB behind when you enter a bathroom.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
whistler222

Model: 7130g

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsty
thanx genius!!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
BOHIC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler222
thanx genius!!
Hey Mr. Sarcasm, he's not the one that knocked his blackberry into the toilet.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

I know someone who dropped his phone in a public restroom. He did what I would have done and just leave it there!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
Proth3uS

Model: 2MANY
Carrier: T-Mobile, AT&T

Quote:
that's pretty funny
Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #11
koleary19067

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

You are lucky that it is working. If it happens again I would take battery out fast and let it dry for a couple of day.

As I said, you are verry lucky that it worked with you turning it back on so early.

But, I am glad that it works
Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Make sure you have a full backup of your data since it appears to be working. But be advised that your device is essentially running on "borrowed" time. There's a good chance after water damage that the unit will either become unreliable or stop working in the future.

And no, most warranty plans don't cover water damage for obvious reasons.

If it's a company issued phone, they will probably replace it for you free of charge. If it's a personal phone, you're of course, out of luck. It may last "ok" until your contract is up. but since this is a 7130, I'm guess you have >1 yr left on contract. I'm not confident the water damaged 7130 would last that long. But I might be wrong.

What may kill you here is two things. 1. you didn't immediately yank the battery out when it got dunked. 2. you didn't let the unit completely dry for several days before turning it on.

YMMV
Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Headhunter1975

Well, if it's insured, I'd back it up, then back up over it, or just lose it
Old 09-18-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah, there is a huge thread on how someone dropped their BB in the hot tub. The first rule of thumb, always always pull the battery out, and the electronics inside will dry out and it will be in perfect working order.

This goes for pretty much all electronic devices/phones. I dropped my Katana in the shallow part of a pond in Kentucky. I pulled the battery, threw it out of anger, and lo and behold. It worked

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 09-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #15
CraigF

Model: 7230
Default Dropped mine in a lake...

Took a call on my 7230 on the way to the lake. Left it in my lap. Backed the Seadoo down the ramp. Opened the door and stepped out. Heard a splash. Splashing sounds at that point are NOT good. Grabbed the BB (now underwater on the ramp) and quickly turned it off and opened the case to pour out the water. Dried it for a few days and everything was fine. Now I take a disposable Motorola Pay-as-you-go phone and put my SIM card in when I go to the lake.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #16
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
When I use the bathroom, I set it to the OFF profile and pull it off my belt and into my pocket.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #17
stonent

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
Took a call on my 7230 on the way to the lake. Left it in my lap. Backed the Seadoo down the ramp. Opened the door and stepped out. Heard a splash. Splashing sounds at that point are NOT good. Grabbed the BB (now underwater on the ramp) and quickly turned it off and opened the case to pour out the water. Dried it for a few days and everything was fine. Now I take a disposable Motorola Pay-as-you-go phone and put my SIM card in when I go to the lake.

Anyone who has a t-mobile blackberry, run down to Target and pick up one of the $39.99 T-Mobile-To-Go Nokia phones.

It's a Nokia 6010. I bought one as a prepaid phone and had it unlocked online using a free unlocking program so I can use it with T-Mobile or Cingular SIMs.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
mjhugh1

Model: 8100

You won't believe this!!! Two weeks ago I got hit by a wave in saltwater. My 7100 did not get submerged, but it did get wet. I did not notice it wet in my coat pocket until the next day. Needless to say, it was having problems. The phone was still working, however, the trackwheel and keypad were not responding (no I/O). I could not navigate using the trackwheel and I could not answer the phone with the keypad when a call came in (but calls did still come in to the phone and the phone rang). So for the most part, my 7100 was garbage at this point. I transferred my SIM card to my old phone and ordered the 8100.

In the meantime, I read this thread about water damage. I thought what the heck, I don't have anything to lose. So I disassembled my 7100 and removed everything off the motherboard. I reasoned it had a little salt corrosion going on. So, here's the crazy part....(taken from "you only need two items to make things work in this world - If its loose, use duct tape; if its stuck, use WD40"). I sprayed the whole motherboard with WD40. I sprayed it good and let it soak in for a while. Then I tried to rinse the WD40 off with warm water. This wasn't taking off the WD40 so I added a little dish soap. This took off the WD40, but now it was soapy. So rinsed it several more times in warm water (warm water taken from our water cooler). With that complete I now had to dry it off. I read in this thread to bake it in the oven. My oven's minimum temperature is 170. So I baked the motherboard at 170 for 1.5 hours. Then let it sit over night. This morning I re-assembled the phone ....... and it now works perfectly again.
Closed Thread