BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:31 PM   #1
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 90009700
Carrier: AT&T
Question Skype for Blackberry, will it ever arrive? Or will I have to buy IM+ Skype?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone!

IM+ for Blackberry costs a whopping $30, but it works! I guess I'll have to buy it, since Skype itself does not appear to be bringing to market a Skype for Blackberry!!

Or are they??? If so, when? Does anyone know of any coupon code, and/or a suggestion as to where to buy IM+ Skype for BB (amongst a few others I want to purchase), so that I can save a little money??

What's the best site for purchasing apps??

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

You do realize that it's only Skype IM, not Skype VoIP, right?
Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
You do realize that it's only Skype IM, not Skype VoIP, right?
No. It IS for VoiP! I've used up my trial, during which I've been able to place several int'l calls usind DATA only using 3G and WiFi! Crystal clear calls! It's awesome!

I'm just looking for the best place to purchase this app, along with a few other accessories that I'm interested in!?!?

Where do you guys purchase your apps, and accessories???

Thanks again!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 11:58 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Is there a charge per call or is it just like Skype, Skype Out, etc.? I've never used IM+.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Is there a charge per call or is it just like Skype, Skype Out, etc.? I've never used IM+.
John, it's just like Skype! No per minute rates, etc., whatever SkypeOut plan you have. And you don't even need WiFi! A good 3G signal will do the trick!

I found a 20% off and I'm using one of my AT&T VISA cards haha...

Gotta love free stuff like this. :D

Let me know if you need help!

Crunch
Old 12-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #6
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

i had this app, didnt know voip worked, gonna try this out again. Thanks guys
Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
xkylar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 208CF14F
Carrier: mPulse

Wirelessly posted

Awesome find I'm gonna try it out.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Don't you have to dial a number first? it's still using phone, not data. At least, that's what I was told.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
dbltap
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A

I've been using it for a while. The current version does use callback. You choose to call a number... it sends a request to the phone number of the person you are calling and then calls your cell phone back once they have answered. Not using VoIP. Just using the Skype network to create calls between two local phone systems but using Skype's backbone for the long distance.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Like I post every week this is a dial around service. Yes the call is handled over a VoIP network when you dial into it but you are still using minutes and or roaming.

There is NO current VoIP / SIP solution for the BlackBerry.

How will you know when one exists? You will have a phone number other than your cell number that you can dial out from and receive calls to on your handset.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 12-02-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just used it again for approx. 1 1/2 hours. Uses DATA ONLY! It's amazing. I am still on this Unlimited World voucher through Skype :D...Anyway, it connects the call for you and then the phone WILL ring. Whatever. I checked the call log on OLAM and no calls were used.

It wouldn't matter to me if it DID use mins. I'm using this solely for free int'l calls...from the Blackberry!! I did call a few friends just for kicks, and they all said that I sounded just fine. Even when on 3G only, but especially over WiFi! :D

Hope this helps!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #12
dbltap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crunch View Post
.... it connects the call for you and then the phone WILL ring. Whatever. I checked the call log on OLAM and no calls were used.
I have a couple of accounts with Skype. One of them is for a dedicated Skype handset that is connected to my home network. I leave this running 24x7 so I can call home from where ever I am in the world and I don't have to leave a PC on. It has a second line for the landline. So it's just like having a cordless phone with both landline and Skype.

Just to verify, I just placed a Skype call from IM+ Skype on my Bold to my account on the home network. A connection/call was made from Skype to the Home Skype phone. I picked up that phone and answered the incoming call. There was silence on the line. A few seconds later, my Bold started ringing with an incoming call... From ME! The call log shows a call from my Skype account which I have set to use a caller ID of my cell phone. So it is definitely a call from the Skype outbound calling system. Data is used to establish the call. No question. But the voice call itself is using the Skype outbound calling system and the voice conversation takes place over the voice network of your carrier to the Skype local outbound switch. I'm sure it is using the Skype backbone of the internet between the two Skype outbound calling switches. But the voice connection directly connecting to your phone is over the carrier voice network.

Why is this important to know? Roaming. This system works great if you are in your local calling area and making outbound calls. But if you are roaming internationally, the voice portion of the call will be from your home area to where ever you happen to be roaming in the world. You will get the same charge to your cell bill as if anyone at home called your cell while you are roaming. That COULD run up costs depending on your world wide roaming agreements.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crunch View Post
I just used it again for approx. 1 1/2 hours. Uses DATA ONLY! It's amazing. I am still on this Unlimited World voucher through Skype :D...Anyway, it connects the call for you and then the phone WILL ring. Whatever. I checked the call log on OLAM and no calls were used.

It wouldn't matter to me if it DID use mins. I'm using this solely for free int'l calls...from the Blackberry!! I did call a few friends just for kicks, and they all said that I sounded just fine. Even when on 3G only, but especially over WiFi! :D

Hope this helps!
Turn off EDGE and 3G so that you have ONLY wifi connected for data. Then tell us if it works. I believe dbltap is correct.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbltap View Post
I have a couple of accounts with Skype. One of them is for a dedicated Skype handset that is connected to my home network. I leave this running 24x7 so I can call home from where ever I am in the world and I don't have to leave a PC on. It has a second line for the landline. So it's just like having a cordless phone with both landline and Skype.

Just to verify, I just placed a Skype call from IM+ Skype on my Bold to my account on the home network. A connection/call was made from Skype to the Home Skype phone. I picked up that phone and answered the incoming call. There was silence on the line. A few seconds later, my Bold started ringing with an incoming call... From ME! The call log shows a call from my Skype account which I have set to use a caller ID of my cell phone. So it is definitely a call from the Skype outbound calling system. Data is used to establish the call. No question. But the voice call itself is using the Skype outbound calling system and the voice conversation takes place over the voice network of your carrier to the Skype local outbound switch. I'm sure it is using the Skype backbone of the internet between the two Skype outbound calling switches. But the voice connection directly connecting to your phone is over the carrier voice network.

Why is this important to know? Roaming. This system works great if you are in your local calling area and making outbound calls. But if you are roaming internationally, the voice portion of the call will be from your home area to where ever you happen to be roaming in the world. You will get the same charge to your cell bill as if anyone at home called your cell while you are roaming. That COULD run up costs depending on your world wide roaming agreements.
Thanks for your informed input. I agree for the most part.

First off all, I'm with everyone who said to get iSkoot. It's free, and now I also have a valid license for free on the IM+ Skype, so I should be all set.

iSkoot almost works BETTER for calls than IM+ Skype. However, it dials an (847) area code, so there is an OUTBOUND call involved. No biggie for that I'll use it mostly in that circumstance.

I will, however, be wanting to use it OVERSEAS, in which case IM+ Skype MAY be better, as it calls you back, instead of initiating an outbound voice call. Hmmm...or so I think.

What say you, dbltap? Or anyone else for that matter?? ;)

Thanks again for excellent advice!
Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
The Crunch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Turn off EDGE and 3G so that you have ONLY wifi connected for data. Then tell us if it works. I believe dbltap is correct.
Great idea. To supplement my comment from 5 minutes ago, I did exactly what you suggested, and it's a no-go on either iSkoot OR IM+ Skype.

At the risk of asking an ignorant/silly question, but why is it not able to only use data?? It does so on my computer, and I'm also a heavy Skype user. However, I'm brand new to using Skype on a PDA. The Bold is also the first device where everything runs smoothly as Skype is concerned. Big suprirse! Virtually speaking, everything runs smooth on the Bold! :D

Thanks again! ;)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #16
dbltap

I am not trying to be rude in any way here Crunch. I'm just setting something up. Look how long it took for us to convince you that IM+ did not use VoIP to make the call? I'd wager most of that would be rooted in your expectations of how Skype works on your laptop/PC. If that works across wifi on the laptop, why doesn't it work on my Bold?

20 years experience in IT development has shown me no matter what is defined in the spec as pre-req, there are always those that want it to do something it isn't designed to do. And then they get upset when it doesn't do that. I'm working with another company right now. The pre-req is you MUST have GSM 3G service. Yet, everyday someone asks why it doesn't work on EDGE or on CDMA.

I said all that to say this... If Shape or iSkoot or Skype were to put out a BlackBerry client and stated it must use 3G, there will be a storm of protest over "Why doesn't it work on my 8800?"

Granted, that's the old Tech Support engineer in me talking.

The bigger reason may be development cost vs potential market base and return on development investment. The Bold is the first 3G Blackberry. It's only been out a few months in most of the world and a few weeks here in the US. There needs to be a pretty significant installed base to have the market potential to sell enough clients to offset the development costs and then make a profit. We are still very early in that process. The proliferation of WiFi enabled devices will help expand that base. And could provide enough market opportunity to make the BlackBerry an attractive target for a VoIP based client.

Before anyone get's excited and talks about the Verizon & Sprint CDMA phones being 3G in addition to the Bold, I'm not discounting their numbers. However, in discussions with various developers, the code needed to make a streaming app work well over 3G and the code to make it work over CDMA can be significantly different. Enough to add quite a bit of development cost to the process. Not impossible by any means. But it's not just a simple port.

My own personal opinion (& YOMV) is the BlackBerry market just has not developed the 3G installed base to offset the development costs to build a VoIP client......... YET. That day may come.... at some point. Time will tell.

That's all predicated on the idea that the carriers will continue to allow VoIP traffic across their 3G data networks. There is no real indication the carriers will continue to allow a direct competitive technology to be used on their networks. I have seen a number of discussions around the net over carrier resistance to VoIP and blocking of those protocols. Who knows?

I'd love to see a VoIP client for the BlackBerry. I'd be right on board. For now, I'll just use Bluetooth tethering from my Bold to my laptop and use Skype on the laptop. Takes a bit longer to set up. But it works and takes advantage of all my Skype features while I am traveling around the world.
Closed Thread