Old 07-06-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
BBNewbieUK

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Using my UK Blackberry in USA

Please Login to Remove!

Dear all,

I appreciate that there are a couple of threads on similar topics already out there but I'd be grateful if somebody could assist me and I'm a little on the new side!...

I have a Blackberry curve on O2 (UK) and am travelling over to the USA for business purposes for two weeks. I don't want to run up a huge bill so what are my options? I would still like to receive calls and texts as usual but can probably do without receiving emails and browsing as I'm guessing that it is these that will cost me the most. Can I disable receiving emails without deleting my emails accounts on the Blackberry? And with whatever setting you suggest, will this still enable me to use WiFi?

Out of interest, if I turn off Data Services, this means that I won't receive emails and won't be able to use the browser, right? But SMS and standard phone capabilities will remain? I think this is my best option.

However, if I disable Data Services (and therefore email / browser), am I still able to use WiFi or is this also disabled? Is there a work-around which would enable me to disable the emails and internet (which I will be heavily billed for) and use WiFi to receive emails and browse the web?

I hope somebody can assist me.

Thanks very much guys
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Yes, turning data services off, kills all data; but this would include wi-fi.
The workaround would be to leave data services off until you want to use wi-fi; turn data services on; but uncheck the "mobile network" box. This will ensure that you use wi-fi and not your carrier network.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread