BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
CoreyC

Model: 7250
Default Earthlink vs Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

It seems that both of these providers run off the same network.

Earthlink is cheaper per month for the unlimited plan.

Then why are there so many more Verzion members here than Earthlink?

Is there anything different about the services they provide?

Is there something wrong with Earthlink, or has Verizon just been around long enough to have a much bigger user base?

I've been in contact with an Earthlink Wireless rep for about a week now, just trying to find out if there is something that I should know before ordering tomorrow morning.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
CoreyC

Well, I went ahead and ordered from Earthlink.

I was able to get them to pricematch Karbon's price of $199 for the 7250. I wish I would have done a little more research on the deal though. I have a 2 year commitment with Earthlink to get that price, Karbon only requires a 1 year commitment. Doh!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I looked at the eartlink coverage map and its real slim pickings
Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
mobile316

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I would see if there is a clause to get out of the earthlink deal in the first 15 - 30 days. To me there is no comparison between earthlink and verizon. However the issues are going to be reliability and coverage. Reliability - the bb data service is hosted and maintained on verizons 1x network, which is the same for the majority of their voice, and we know there is no more reliable network in the country. So, verizon will be maintaining this network tediously. Coverage - I don't see how earthlink could compare, especially if you are bundling voice and data services. Hope u can get out of contract. Just remember, especially in this industry, "you get what u pay for".
Old 05-25-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
mobile316

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I would see if there is a clause to get out of the earthlink deal in the first 15 - 30 days. To me there is no comparison between earthlink and verizon. However the issues are going to be reliability and coverage. Reliability - the bb data service is hosted and maintained on verizons 1x network, which is the same for the majority of their voice, and we know there is no more reliable network in the country. So, verizon will be maintaining this network tediously. Coverage - I don't see how earthlink could compare, especially if you are bundling voice and data services. Hope u can get out of contract. Just remember, especially in this industry, "you get what u pay for".
Old 05-25-2005, 02:00 PM   #6
CoreyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile316

Earthlink does give you 30 days to opt out of the contract, for whatever reason.

In fact, I may end up doing just that to get out of that 2 year commitment. The way wireless technology is advancing I am not feeling to comfortable being locked in for 2 years. The 1 year commitment that Karbon requires for the same Earthlink 7250 seems about right.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:04 PM   #7
CoreyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I looked at the eartlink coverage map and its real slim pickings
It is, I should have taken that into consideration before I posted this.

My area just happens to be strongly supported, according to the map.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #8
katya
Knows Where the Search Button Is

EarthLink's coverage should be the same as Verizon's since they are using Verizon's network for their service. I am very happy with the service and coverage that I have with EarthLink on my 7250. I live and work in rural areas where coverage can be quite limited and I have had no trouble getting a strong signal. In fact, have never not had a signal. EarthLink's customer support has been far better than anything I've encountered from Verizon in the 10 years that I have had a cell phone service with them.
Closed Thread