BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Misinformation about a touch shortcut?

Please Login to Remove!

I've been trying to work out how to use this phone efficiently without the keyboard slid out. I wanted to be able to type and proofread emails using just the touch screen, so I needed to be able to hide and restore the touch keyboard.

I Googled how to do it, and every page I read said that I have to touch the top of the virtual keyboard and swipe down to the bottom to remove it, and do the reverse to restore it. I downloaded the manual, and it agrees with them.

I finally worked out how to swipe it away without accidentally typing letters. It seems to need to be done fairly quickly for it to work.

But I just couldn't make it come back again, now matter how I swiped. Then a colleague pointed out that when the keyboard is gone, there's a touch icon in the bottom left of the screen to restore it. Duh!

I'd like to know is why all those web pages and the instructions are wrong. Did RIM decide to get rid of the swipe-to-restore, and replace it with that icon in an OS upgrade? Or was that icon always there, and I just still haven't learned the trick to restoring with a swipe?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Misinformation about a touch shortcut?

No one here would know the answer as to "why" RIM added or removed functionality in the OS.

You would need to address that to RIM directly.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
No one here would know the answer as to "why" RIM added or removed functionality in the OS.

You would need to address that to RIM directly.
Of course. What I want to know is whether they changed this or not.

I can't make the instructions work, and I don't know if it's because they changed it or because I just don't understand the instructions. Does it work as the instructions describe for anyone out there?

I'm evaluating this phone for a company purchase of about 70 phones. If the instructions are wrong, I have to take into account that I might have to write new ones myself.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

I don't know if it changed recently but I too find that I cannot swipe up to get the keyboard. Honestly, I do not think that this issue would impact your decision.

I will mention two tips though:

1. By default - if you close the physical keyboard the virtual will appear in most screens where it is deemed appropriate (browser, messages, text) - you can turn this off - I have as I like more viewable area and click on the icon to get the virtual keyboard.

2. Along the same lines, if your users ask how to "lock" the screen in profile - they can open the slider keyboard and the screen will stay in portrait orientation.

We have begun rolling out torches where I work and this issue hasn't come up.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
pshute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD View Post
I don't know if it changed recently but I too find that I cannot swipe up to get the keyboard. Honestly, I do not think that this issue would impact your decision.
It won't affect the decision. It just means I'd have to mention it in the training session, in case they go looking in the manual for how to do it. Hopefully it'd be updated by then, as it looks like swiping really doesn't work anymore, if it ever did.

I notice in the release notes for OS6.1 that they're adding a virtual button for hiding the keyboard too, which should help those who don't look in the manual at all.

I must admit I'm not that keen on swiping and other gestures in general. The idea of tapping and holding a button to bring up a description of what it does just seems too dangerous to me, and encouraging users to try that with things like delete buttons is just asking for trouble. It's about as intuitive as swiping your finger across a keyboard and expecting anything to happen other than a string of letter being typed. It's probably fine if the OS and apps are completely consistent, but I'm not confident they are.
Closed Thread