850, 950, 957, 7100, 7130, 8100, 8800, 8310, 9000
Old 11-18-2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
My rim contact says they are in talks with the makers of Symbian to offload BB OS development, in some part, to symbian.

Apparently, RIM is attempting to reduce overhead? YIKES!!
I call BS. They *might* offload something like the BBConnect, but even that is huge speculation and seems counterpoint to the RIM philosophy of "roll-your-own" everything. They are super-tight with their security on the device and don't let anyone (read: not a RIM employee) look under the hood.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:04 PM   #23
Psyko

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
Worst Rumor Ever.
Except for the one with RIM and Palm teaming up. That was pretty bad.

Symbian is awful. S-L-O-W.

Think of a nice 7750. That's faster than Symbian!
OMG 7750... Sooooooo slooooooow. :(

Why would RIM do what anyway?? Maybe cause they don't want to continue spending on OS development...

Where does that rumor come from?
Old 11-18-2006, 04:36 PM   #24
Psyko

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron
LOL
Yes even apple users say OSX is garbage the palm rumor seems plausable an analyst said. That moterola bought a mail sevice company. Good mail or somthing basicly his therory is that rim will buy up palm to keep the overhead down an get more market share wich would make sense
Motorola bought Good Technologies; they make a software that is about the equivalent of a BES but for Windows-based PDAs.

I don't think RIM will buy Palm... I think Palm sold their OS division to a Chinese company...
Old 11-18-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
My rim contact says they are in talks with the makers of Symbian to offload BB OS development, in some part, to symbian.

Apparently, RIM is attempting to reduce overhead? YIKES!!
I have heard similar rumblings which cause great concern.

However being fully immersed in large scale business strategies. I have seen some pretty stupid decisions made by some very smart people within especially successful organizations.

The possibility of the BlackBerry OS being handed off to another company, or replaced by Symbian is a dreadful thought. A thought that many of us find unthinkable.

From a common sense perspective as a BlackBerry user I fail to find the logic, but then again what do I know?

Only time will tell.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 AM   #26
robbym
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: Virgin
Question We know what happened to Palm after PalmSource left...

I hope its just dumb speculation. The metting of OS and hardware is the core of RIM's success so far. But this what happens when IT companies try to catch up to a market that isn't their niche. Palm switched to Intel trying to play catch-up with Pocket PC and wound up dying with a crappy disfunctional emulator and a dead Intel based OS (remember cobalt) that never made it to market. This said, we all need to remember that RIM is treading into new waters in order to compete with other multimedia based solutions. Anything is possible under the right pressure. All we can do is hope for the best.

Do you like mobile browsing, check out my giant list of mobile links at:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ile-sites.html
Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Fungineer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyko
Motorola bought Good Technologies; they make a software that is about the equivalent of a BES but for Windows-based PDAs.
I don't think RIM will buy Palm... I think Palm sold their OS division to a Chinese company...
PalmSource was bought by Access, which is a Japanese company. Palm (who only makes Hardware now), would be a stupid acquisition for RIM because they don't need it. Plam doesn't give them access to any market that they won't eventually be in with the Pearl (and presumably future consumer-oriented products).
Moto's purchase of Good and Nokia's purchase of Intellisync are just manoeuvers to try to have the same handheld + server end-to-end solution that RIM already offers. Also, since BBConnect already runs on PalmOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile(?), I don't really see the point in them trying to "buy" another software company, nor offload development to a third party.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #28
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungineer
Also, since BBConnect already runs on PalmOS, Symbian and Windows Mobile(?), I don't really see the point in them trying to "buy" another software company, nor offload development to a third party.
I'm with you. I don't see the point either.

I am looking forward to using BlackBerry devices for a long time to come and hope they do not do anything counterproductive!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 PM   #29
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I hope greed and driving the stock price doesn't push them to a downward spiral.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #30
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm
I hope greed and driving the stock price doesn't push them to a downward spiral.
Well Said....

I don't know which one is worse. What some of these corporations due to keep shareholders happy and the ever present greed factor can be a very compelling "excuse" for decisions which end up truly hurting the company and taking down, or crippling a very good product.