Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Download area to slow down noob posts

Please Login to Remove!

I think if there were a download area for tips, ringtones, themes etc we would slow down the noob posts. Also corey's suggested email guide etc. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Or a filter that you must read these stickies in succession prior to being able to move to the regular forum, allowing viewing to their hearts contents but no posting until the previously mentioned stickies have been read.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

[sarcasm]Yes, lets make the forums as un-user friendly as possible![/sarcasm]

We all know what happens when you are forced to read something, nobody does. Example: Just about any EULA! That and calling the new/inexperienced people names all the time is really going to help this forum continue to grow.

Maybe a simple How-To/FAQ section that requires approved submissions? Anyone can submit/edit something, but it has to be approved by the forum moderators before appearing.

Doug
Old 12-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

You think we'd actually read the submissions before approving? hehe.. j/k.

I think most regulars have to come to understand how to glance over the newbie posts (as opposed to opening and replying to every post). I rarely even see the word 'newbie' anymore simply because I'm not opening every thread - unless someone IM's it to me and laughs about something. I'm sure Tom doesn't mind the added posting - afterall, it should be more advertising revenue earned for him. So all in all, if the regulars would simply get to the point where they are master skimmers, the world would be a better place. I hate having to check my email and activate my forum account before I can post, so I can only imagine what it'd be like to be sat in front of a monitor and forced to read certain threads or FAQs - I'd close my browser and look elsewhere; although, if it is implemented, we might as well throw in quizzes about the content...

Last edited by jibi; 12-16-2005 at 03:53 PM..
Old 12-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

How about a disclaimer advising people that most problems that people will have in their first year of using a blackberry are most likely already posted and answered and that while we are glad to help people, we are not going to waste our time spoonfeeding people who want instant and free answers/support for trivial questions.

Wanna come kick my ass?

Find me at...
http://www.frappr.com/blackberryforums
Old 12-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

It could simply be a silent disclaimer. Some people involved with the site have a financial stake in it, so I think its everyone's best interests if we keep the man upstairs happy. If that means simply ignoring some rinsed-and-repeated-and-do-it-again posts, then so be it. No one is there actively forcing them to search, just like no one is actively forcing any of us to read all threads posted.

Just my relaxed 'eeey, bruvah mon' opinion...
Old 12-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie
Default I wasn't suggesting we force anything

I think if there is an obvious place to go for tips, tones, and other items people will go there first. The key is it's obvious..
Closed Thread