Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
SubieRX

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Powermat wireless charger?

Please Login to Remove!

Anybody have any experience with it? It seems like its a brand new product that allows you to wirelessly charge your handheld electronics (ipods, blackberries, iphones, etc...)

I want one but i'm worried that for whatever reason... it may damage the battery or at least decrease the amount of charge the battery can hold.

Can anybody chime in on this?

Here's the link...

powermat [dot] com

(Can't post links yet since I'm a noob)
Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I think it was just released for sale yesterday so you'll probably have to wait a few days for a review. I was going to get one, but, decided not now. I use a charging pod and rather not have my phone flat as it is more difficult to see on the desk. No support for some of the other phones in my family so I'll pass for now.

I wouldn't worry about battery damage. Probably more concerned with the amount of time it takes to charge.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
sockfootball21
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

Sounds like the start of a good idea but you still have to deal with a cord. Not only that but it looks like the phone
will have to lay flat on the pad to charge. That wouldn't work for my because I am always on my phone while it charges.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
SubieRX

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile

Well I pulled the trigger on it yesterday.

Initial impression is that the build quality is decent. Everything feels pretty solid and it definitely adds another "cool factor" to my room. My gf loved it.

For the system as a whole... it does what it says it does. All you have to do is place the phone on the mat within the vicinity of one of its three magnetic charging areas. The magnet pulls the phone to where it wants it to be so you don't have to worry about finding the sweet spot.

As far as the actual adapter on the phone itself.. I have mixed feelings about it. It does make the phone noticeably heavier... and it adds about 2-3 mm to the depth of the phone. I had prepared for that, but what I was not prepared for was the addition of two plastic pieces that stick out of the sides near the bottom corners of phone. It makes using the holster a pain.

All in all... I think its a cool gadget. Its definitely not necessary unless you have just a ton of electronic gadgets (and I wouldn't put it past some of you). I'll update my post in a couple of weeks to see if the powermat performs well over a longer period of time.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Forgot to mention... it comes with a powermat "hub" that allows you to hook up 8 different connectors (samsung, sony, micro usb etc.) So even if you don't wanna spend the extra 30-40 bucks on a permanent adapter for a device, you can still utilize the powermat.

Last edited by SubieRX; 10-06-2009 at 11:13 PM..
Closed Thread