Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
terry_graham
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cellplus, Mauritius
Default Best practice required: Backup and restore

Please Login to Remove!

Hello folks,

Our BES and Exchange 2003 server crashed and got it reinstalled. Creation of new usernames has been made. Upon enterprise activation, I am asked to wipe the Curve because the key does not match.

The curve has data which users cannot lose. Backup has been made via BDM.

My question is whether after wipe and activation, backup data can be restored and whether after restore, Curve restored data will sync and copy the Curve data to the Exchange mailbox.

The issue is that I don't wish to lose or duplicate the data on the Curves, when syncing.

May I know the steps to follow. Thanks, and seasons greetings, Terry
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Depending on the IT policy on the BES that will get pushed down, and what your BES set up is like (may include Over-the-air backup), you'll want to restore the data after the wipe but before activation. Since depending on your set up, some data cannot be restored once server-sync is set up for some items. The Desktop [SYNC] service book will prevent this (or some) data from being restored using BDM.

See the following for information on what is not backed up OTA.

Backup process for a BlackBerry device (KB12487)

Additional information:

Unable to restore wireless databases from a backup file (KB12819)

Cannot restore read only databases (KB04461)

Unable to restore the password keeper database (KB11545)

What types are data are we talking about? Be specific.

Restoring email messages (At least on Domino, is a little problematic. In some cases (depends on the state database and planetary alignment) reconciliation of deletes for the restored messages (prior to reactivation date) will not always work. Sometimes it's only reconciling of deletes of old messages (prior to reactivation) from the handheld do not always reconcilate to the server, but from the server to the handheld works fine. Othertimes it's the other direction that won't reconcile. Somes most of the old messages will reconcile, but a few won't. It varies for user to user. This is when restoring old messages prior to reactivation. So I don't do it anymore. I just delete the user, and let 750msg/14day prepopulation do it thing and tell the user to move on. It's just not worth the support call for me).

I also don't bother restoring PIM data that is synchronized to the mail server via BES. I just let that come down (message propopulation, address book, calendar, memos) during activation.

I would do the following (this may change depending on any additional information you provide!!)

1. Backup the devices via BDM.
2. Wipe the devices.
3. Restore the following data using BDM on the fresh devices.
3a. call logs (since we're deleting the server from the BES)
3b. options " "
3c. profiles " "
3d. autotext " "
3e. content store (in case user has pictures from the camera in device memory like my CFO did!)
3f. SMS text messages (if needed)
3e. memos (if not sync'ed with mail server OTA)
3g. address book (if not sync'ed with mail server OTA).
4. Delete user from BES (if this were domino, we'd also delete the state database).
5. Re-add user to the BES. Set Activation password.
6. Perform Enterprise Activation from the handheld.

How to increase the number of email messages that appear during the enterprise activation process and message pre-population (KB11632)

Receive message headers only on the BlackBerry device during pre-population (KB10223)

On restoring old messages, RIM has the following information. I don't recommend it, since based on what we've seen on Domino, reconcilation doesn't always work for the old messages. But sometimes you run into that C-level executive that just has to have than random 91-day old email restored to his/her new handheld. C-level executives (or their secretaries) rarely listen to reason, so here you go...

Restore messages from a previous BlackBerry device to a new BlackBerry device during an enterprise activation (KB05299)

Last edited by Aroc; 12-22-2007 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Added additional links
Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
terry_graham
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cellplus, Mauritius

I am interested in restoring most importantly address book, memos, sms, call logs, the only copy which is only available on the handheld, rather than from the crashed Exchange.

For email, it does not matter.

Please advise. Terry.
Closed Thread