Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default DM - another update that didn't solve the problem

Please Login to Remove!

I always wait for the DM updates to see if I can finally sync via bluetooth to the computer. I received the DM update yesterday and was hopeful - why I don't know... I never win here. I have never synced any BB (Curve or Bold) with the DM consistently. Sometimes, if I pound and pound for an hour I may get one successful sync. At that point it would have been far quicker to plug in the darn USB.

The most recent DM update gave me the attached 2 print screen errors in regard to bluetooth sync.

I think I'll get a successful bluetooth sync for the BB right after my WiFi stops dropping - I imagine a cold day in hell.

I probably should have put this in rants and raves...

Just venting because I am furious this still can't happen right. It's the reason I purchased a N900 and now carry 2 contracts - 2 phones. That shouldn't be the case. Bluetooth has been around far too long for this to still be happening (as well as WiFi.)

So I wait again... hoping the next DM update will solve this.

Sandy
Attached Images
File Type: png Blackberry DM.PNG (151.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Blackberry DM1.PNG (150.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wifi drops are usually caused by router issues, not the device. To minimize device issues with wifi make sure you are using the most up to date OS for your device.

The errors you're having with bluetooth sync could also be attributed to your actual bluetooth card in your computer. I've been able to sync over bluetooth but I actually find it too slow compared to plugging in via usb. I gave up on bluetooth backup/sync on the pc a long time ago for this reason.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
The Sand

Thanks for your input here... There are 3 Bold's in the home and all 3 don't run WiFi without dropping - not all the time - but enough that you notice. And I have 3 routers - doesn't matter what router they are connected to.

Each of us have a computer as well from XP to Windows 7 - no matter what computer OS the DM is installed on I still encounter the bluetooth problem. And I know the bluetooth can fly in regard to sync and backup because it does for my other device. I never use the USB cable for that device... so it's not coming from the computer.

I must be the BB device. I had to go with the Bold 9000 because I didn't like the way the internet viewed on the 9700 and returned it. It can "smash" the lines together (kind of on top of each other) on certain websites (I run column view.)

I am a "step behind" in the device - that could be my problem...

Thanks again for the input. I love BB and will always own one - I just get frustrated because I know this device can do better than this. I'll get over it because what BB does well - it does very well. Unfortunatley bluetooth and WiFi arent it. But to me they aren't the most important things anyway - thus I will get over it.

Maybe when I upgrade the OS to 5.0 it will help. That isn't approved for AT&T yet... there is hope.

Sandy
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

What kind of routers are the 3 routers? Are they all on the same network at the same time? The wifi drops are 99.9% of the time due to router firmware or settings so don't be so quick to determine that it's the Bold. Interference from cordless phones can be an issue, as well as other routers in the area, so changing the channel of the router can help, as well. I have many friends who have Bolds and they don't have this issue so my money is still on your router. Also, if you turn off wifi on the other two Bolds does the remaining Bold still drop wifi? I ran into this with my WRT54GS v7.0 with oem firmware. It worked great with 3 8320's but as soon as I switched my 8320 to an 8900 I started having drops. Nothing would fix it until I loaded DD-WRT on the router. Once I did that the problem went away so there are definitely bugs in router firmwares that cause issues like this.

As for the bluetooth issue, are you using wifi at the same time you're trying to use bluetooth? Wifi and bluetooth coexistence has been and issue since way back. The device software has improved this but, once again, it depends on your router and even then problems can still arise.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
The Sand

Yes I know "most" don't have this WiFi issue (or peps would be screaming) - so yes, it could fully be the routers. They are 2 Craddlepoints and a Linksys. They are on different networks. I actually have a thread about this issue - and changing the beacom level to 50 from100 helped but I never really got the Bold's to perform like other WiFi devices in the apartment. But I do realize I am unlucky there... most BB's are doing well with WiFi. And it doesn't matter if there is 1 Bold or 3 connected via WiFi - drops can still happen. I have yet to test this at another location - I need to go to like Starbucks and see how it handles it. But I realize I am not the norm in regard to WiFi.

I don't have bluetooth and WiFi enabled at the same time - just coincidence there, I had no idea that could cause a problem so thanks for mentioning it. I see a lot of problems with bluetooth on several forums so I do not think I am alone in that one. But bluetooth is not a deal breaker... just frustrating.

Thanks for the advice which I will heed and look into in regard to the routers - and for just listening to me rant.... that helps - and then you move on

Sandy
Old 03-31-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Yes, bluetooth is always an issue. Bluetooth has always been weak on the BlackBerry.

For me, changing the beacon from 100 to 50 makes no difference except that changing to 50 reduced battery life significanly. How many other routers are in range in your apartment complex? This is important. Make sure you are set to a channel that other routers in your area are not using. I would be willing to bet you won't have the same problem at McD's or Starbucks.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
The Sand

I see what you mean about a battery life issue with the beacon levels lower – makes sense – but fortunately for me I have been okay in that area. That was a good warning to bring up.

I am right next to Wilshire Blvd in Los Angeles and I can see from network sharing there are routers all over the place. Very “tech heavy” environment. I have already pounded on the routers significantly trying to get the Bold’s to hang on but unless I am physically right next to the router they don’t. This does not happen to any other WiFi device in the apartment – only the BB’s drop. After thinking about it I really don’t believe there is anything left to try in regard to the routers (every router has the latest firmware and I have tried different settings/channels.) I can’t fix that problem any more than I can fix the Bluetooth and am tired of trying. Eventually acceptance of tech limitations has to come or you pull your hair out in frustration.

Yes, they may be fine at Starbucks and work flawlessly – but that still doesn’t help me where I want to use them. I almost don’t want to know because it will just upset me.

I have to wait until RIM releases something else – the next generation – that hopefully will work better for me and what I want to do in my home. We all know BB’s primary audience is business with BES. BES users (my sister) has never even seen the DM and doesn’t care about Bluetooth syncing. Her work does everything. And she has unlimited data so what does she care about WiFi – she doesn’t – her work pays the bill. It’s people like me who have to do everything myself that really want Bluetooth and Wifi – who really need the DM to not throw out error messages. RIM needs to focus more on that area to make sure their “non” corporate users are happy. As I said, I will always own a BB – because when you need to get it done NOW – it delivers in a simple no frills execution style like no other device. The mail speed is unbeatable – getting to “info” is fast and efficient. And that is what is most important. I guess I just want my cake and eat it too - and maybe one day that will be the case – maybe the next generation will deliver that for me.

I am always hopeful…

Sandy
Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I don't seem to be getting through to you. Just because all your other devices connect to the router ok, doesn't mean there is a problem with the device. It means there is an issue with firmware in the router. You can "wait" for another device but you will likely have the same issue.

By bringing up the fact that it will work fine at starbucks and McD's I merely am saying that it proves it's a router incomptibility.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
The Sand

You were right to bring up Starbucks - it was a good suggestion. didn't mean to offend in any way here... and if that line came across that way I am sorry.

I don't know about where the problem lies though... I have 3 routers running 3 different firmwares - all other devices connect fine - all the BB's don't. I don't know the answer here... but there appears to be something in the BB that doesn't want to stay connected to any of the routers... 0 for 3 is weird. To have to reconfigure all 3 routers (which I have tried) for the BB's is odd to me. I would think at least one router would work (if it was indeed a router issue.) But tech problems can be hard to solve - I mean they just hired NASA to figure out why Toyota's software along with their hardware causes brake issue on certain cars. It can be frustrating to solve these problems...

I am blaming nobody and certainly don't want to offend you and thank you for trying to help here...

Sandy
Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Not offended.

You told me you have two cradlepoints and one linksys. That's two types of routers. I already mentioned that there are issues with some Linksys routers. You didn't give me much info to go on as far as router types and models.

I speak from experience with wifi on BlackBerrys to know that it's likely a router problem and not a BB problem.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
The Sand

I have a Craddlepoint MBR1000 and Craddlepoint CTR350 (obviously they both have different firmware - which is what I mean by different type - I guess I should have clarrified) and a Linksys (I hate this router and don't know its full name.) It will be up to me if I want to keep pounding on all three routers to get one device to work - when everything else I purchased just connected - stayed connected - and ran (this includes another smartphone.)

I respect your knowledge and experience on this to form your conclusion - whether I agree or not is irrelevant - I thank you for your input.

In the end I started the thread because of the failure of Bluetooth sync coming from the DM. That was really where my frustration was coming from...

Whether waitin for another BB upgrade will sovle my problem I don't know... but usually it does help.

Sandy
Closed Thread