Old 09-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
scb0825

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Cool Curve+DD-WRT+UMA

Please Login to Remove!

Hello!

I have a question, regarding UMA. I have been trying to get my 8320 to access UMA from my home with no success. At home I have a Linksys WRT54G that is running DD-WRT. I have enabled the setting according to the DD-WRT wiki to turn on UMA, with no success. My signal strength at home is great.

One thing that puzzles me is that I am able to use UMA through an open wireless network that is close to my office with no problems.

Oh one more question While my phone is using UMA and I make a voice call, does it use my voice minutes? Since I do not have a data plan, when my phone is connected via UMA and I surf the web, will I be charged for this access?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

UMA without T-mobiles UMA plans will use your regular minutes... and surfing on WiFi is free
Old 09-16-2008, 01:21 AM   #3
pazzu

Model: 8320

Could you at least connect to the router and see your network name next to "T-Mobile" on the home screen?

What does "Manage Connections" --> "Services Status" say?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
anoshwadia

Model: 3320
Carrier: TMobile
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
UMA without T-mobiles UMA plans will use your regular minutes... and surfing on WiFi is free
Corey,

So to clarify, if I took my UMA enabled BB 8320 phone internationally and turned off the mobile connection and only enabled Wifi and used it to make calls, the call charges would only come out of my regular pool of minutes, irrespective of whether I have the UMA plan or not with T-mobile?
Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
scb0825

When I connected to my router, it does say T-Mobile plus my wireless network name. I will have to wait until I get home to see what it says under Manage Connections > Services Status
Old 09-16-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb0825 View Post
Hello!

I have a question, regarding UMA. I have been trying to get my 8320 to access UMA from my home with no success. At home I have a Linksys WRT54G that is running DD-WRT. I have enabled the setting according to the DD-WRT wiki to turn on UMA, with no success. My signal strength at home is great.

One thing that puzzles me is that I am able to use UMA through an open wireless network that is close to my office with no problems.

Oh one more question While my phone is using UMA and I make a voice call, does it use my voice minutes? Since I do not have a data plan, when my phone is connected via UMA and I surf the web, will I be charged for this access?

If you don't have HotSpot at Home service, you'll use UMA for calls, but they'll come out of your regular plan minutes, just as if you were calling without it.

A few things I have found that made my UMA at home virtually perfect all of the time are below. There are a few exceptions now and then, but in those few instances, if I just turn the phone off and back on (not a battery pull), it picks up UMA again just fine.

1) With the DD-WRT software, I boosted the xmit power to 84.
2) Picked up a set of 2 7db gain antennas (they have 10 feet antenna wire on each).
3) Set up QOS on the router, giving ports 500 and 4500 premium priority.
4) On the Curve, go to the Host Routing Table and find this entry:
T-Mobile USA [31026030]. Hit the BlackBerry button and choose "Register Now".
Old 09-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

There is also a "wifi diagnostics" you can look at.

I have the same router and am running DD-WRT and all is working great. Do you have VPN enabled?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
HofstraJet
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: TMO/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000 View Post

On my Curve, when I go to the HRT, the entry you list is already bold. What does that signify and should I still do the Register Now?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The only time that is needed is when you need to reregister the device on the network. I only use it after an OS upgrade. Also, highlighting something in the list has no effect. It's only going to register on the network in use, anyway.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
geekboy2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The only time that is needed is when you need to reregister the device on the network. I only use it after an OS upgrade. Also, highlighting something in the list has no effect. It's only going to register on the network in use, anyway.
I thought (but it might have been that I was up way too late), that I either did the register with that highlighted, or drilled into it and registered, and actually got a response message specifically related to UMA or hotspot. It's been awhile, but I don't recall it being the generic registration message. Could be I'm mistaken though.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
scb0825

Cool

Quote:
Hello!

Ok in an attempt to get UMA to work from my DD-WRT Linksys WRT54G wireless router, I have done the following;
Enabled WMM
Changed the Fragmentation Threshold and RTS Threshold according to the UMA section of the DD-WRT wiki
Enabled QOS and gave premium priority to the UMA service I added (using TCP/UDP on ports 500-4500)

When that wasn't successful, I thought that perhaps my router was blocking those ports, so I assigned a static IP to my 8320 and forwarded ports 500 and 4500 to it; however, I am not quite sure if those are the correct port settings for UMA.

I do not *need* to have UMA working from my house, as I get excellent signal quality and my wifi is working with no problems... although being a network engineer and seeing how UMA works on my phone with no problems from various open wireless networks, it will bother my if I cannot get it working at home!

Anyway, I appreciate any help that can be offered!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:48 PM   #12
vmladenov
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Guess
Carrier: Quit trying to see my carrier!

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekboy2000
Quote:
Hello!

If you don't have HotSpot at Home service, you'll use UMA for calls, but they'll come out of your regular plan minutes, just as if you were calling without it.

A few things I have found that made my UMA at home virtually perfect all of the time are below. There are a few exceptions now and then, but in those few instances, if I just turn the phone off and back on (not a battery pull), it picks up UMA again just fine.

1) With the DD-WRT software, I boosted the xmit power to 84.
2) Picked up a set of 2 7db gain antennas (they have 10 feet antenna wire on each).
3) Set up QOS on the router, giving ports 500 and 4500 premium priority.
Its not going to happen because he/she doesn't have BIS

Yo soy un noob. - Albert Einstein
Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

I don't understand why you'd be having problems with this. (this isn't a critical statement, just that it was dead easy for me to set up and i don't consider myself to be a networking expert)

I have a Linksys WRT54GL (Amazon $50 ) with DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) vpn

(those trying to install this at home with this router - flash it with the MINI version first or you will get the blinking green light of panic!)

1) Click the services tab and add the MAC address of your BB to give it a static lease - I suspect this is optional but I like knowing where all my devices are on the network by IP address.

2) To enable QoS, simply click on the NAT/QoS tab, then the QoS subtab, then add the BB's MAC address in the section marked MAC PRIORITY. DD-WRT allows you to prioritize traffic by MAC address. No port forwarding needed.

Last edited by jddphd; 09-17-2008 at 12:11 AM..
Old 09-17-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
newbiebbuser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
does not...whenever i use my phone using uma (i have no plan for that...no tmo at home or w/e) it does not count against your minutes.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:44 AM   #15
scb0825

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd View Post
I don't understand why you'd be having problems with this. (this isn't a critical statement, just that it was dead easy for me to set up and i don't consider myself to be a networking expert)

I have a Linksys WRT54GL (Amazon $50 ) with DD-WRT Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) vpn

(those trying to install this at home with this router - flash it with the MINI version first or you will get the blinking green light of panic!)

1) Click the services tab and add the MAC address of your BB to give it a static lease - I suspect this is optional but I like knowing where all my devices are on the network by IP address.

2) To enable QoS, simply click on the NAT/QoS tab, then the QoS subtab, then add the BB's MAC address in the section marked MAC PRIORITY. DD-WRT allows you to prioritize traffic by MAC address. No port forwarding needed.
I wonder if perhaps the version of DD-WRT I have on my router is causing the problems. I currently have v23 SP2... I'm going to try to upgrade it to v24 and see if that helps...
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
jddphd

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

Quote:
I wonder if perhaps the version of DD-WRT I have on my router is causing the problems. I currently have v23 SP2... I'm going to try to upgrade it to v24 and see if that helps...
Can't really say. I'm a recent convert and never used any prior release.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #17
blackberry47
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Tmobile

So I have the unlimited data plan with tmoble, but does that mean if I'm using uma or wifi ill get charged extra? I didn't know there's a diff plan for that :/
Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #18
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Carrier: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiebbuser View Post
does not...whenever i use my phone using uma (i have no plan for that...no tmo at home or w/e) it does not count against your minutes.
yes you do get deducted your regular minutes if you do not have tmobiles UMA plans... its the same with Rogers... if you arent on there UMA (talkspot) plans then when you talk your minutes are deducted from your pool
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry47 View Post
So I have the unlimited data plan with tmoble, but does that mean if I'm using uma or wifi ill get charged extra? I didn't know there's a diff plan for that :/
As far as billing is concerned, all that UMA is doing is acting like a cell tower. It's not extra, and it's not less.

The exceptions are:
  • You can browse on wifi without a data plan, which matters if you have a limit on data or no data plan.
  • If you have an unlimited calling add-on, UMA calls do not count against minutes.

For those who are calling on UMA but not losing mintues. That is a technical glitch that has been around since the Curve came out. As a guess, about 10% of my calls show up, mainly calls to voicemail. All the rest do not show up on my bill. Technically they do charge for those, but the system appears to be handling them as for users with the unlimited calling add-on.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #20
wobly

Quote:
I have a Linksys WRT54G that is flashed with DD-WRT v23 SP2 and have no problems with my Curve 8320 working on my router.
I didn't do anything special execpt open another IP address up. (I limit the number of addresses so I can tell if something is amiss) Then, I entered the network key into the Curve and viola! No problems!
I will say that 4.5.0.69 is a LOT more stable with UMA than any previous release.
Closed Thread