Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
capdjq

Model: 5029E
PIN: N/A
Carrier: shaw
Question Just purchased aPlaybook

Please Login to Remove!

Purchased a 16GB version about three days ago.
Everything has run smoothly. When I first connected to windows PC a software installed and an Update installed.
Today I tried to backup and realized I had to download the "Desktop software" and install.
All has gone smooth but it appears, through the Desktop software, there was another update which I downloaded and installed. appears to be a "major" update cause it took a long while.
Is this the new OS 2.0 Update?

Also I am planning, cause I like the Playbook, to upgrade to a 64GB version. Will my backup allow me to install om another Blackberry Playbook? this is because I have already purchased some apps.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Default Re: Just purchased aPlaybook

Welcome to the forums.

Your apps will follow you via your BlackBerry ID which you created when you activated your PlayBook so no need to worry about those. You will need to backup any personal data to protect it and move it to your new device when you get it.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
SpikeyP

Model: Playb
Carrier: None
Unhappy Re: Just purchased aPlaybook

I think the Playbook has one of the best hardware specifications in a tablet but whilst I appreciate that RIM has produced some great products and its service has been regarded highly, my personal experience with the company has been pretty unsatisfactory. In January, I bought a Playbook and then in February updated the OS to 2.0. Ten days ago the device died and refused to be resurrected. After three days of hopeless conversations with RIM customer support in which I was asked to repeat the hard boot routine numerous times, they agreed last Friday to exchange it for a new one. An RMA was generated on their system and a tracking number was supposed to be issued within a day. Despite many phone calls with the customer support team (in Canada), they are unable to get a tracking number from their repair team and seem impotent to do anything and I remain with the dead machine.

As a consumer, I am disappointed and frustrated with this unacceptable service from a once renowned technology leader. I'm glad that I'm not using the tablet in an enterprise capacity or I'd have to seriously reconsider my supplier.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
capdjq

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Your apps will follow you via your BlackBerry ID which you created when you activated your PlayBook so no need to worry about those. You will need to backup any personal data to protect it and move it to your new device when you get it.
While I made the purchase only couple of days ago and am happy with the performance thus far i'm still conflicted, in my mind, whether to keep it (I have 14 days) or go for the IPad 2 ($420 vs $199). Netflix or downloading music does not interest me. I have my own library of videos which, thus far, has played without any problems on the Playbook. So has my music files. I'm pleasantly surprised at the Playbook. its actually better than I expected.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

The iPad is a good device, but it and Android based tablets are a different user experience from a PlayBook. You need to decide for yourself what you need. We have an iPad 1 around here somewhere. My wife uses it sometimes, but I prefer my PlayBook, and she uses her PlayBook more than the iPad.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
SpikeyP

The saga continues. RIM fails miserably in its communication with me as a customer and with resolving a simple exchange Playbook. Another day passes without a tracking number to confirm that RIM has sent a new machine. The agents are polite and apologetic and assure me that they will 'escalate my case' but ultimately take no action to progress this matter.

I telephoned the RMA team once again this morning to chase progress and spoke to a nice guy in Canada. Like the others with whom I've discussed this debacle, he promised to escalate the case - this time to senior management. However, I suspect that following the recent changes, there are no senior managers remaining.

From my perspective as a long-standing user and supporter of RIM products and services, the company appears to have deteriorated from being a high flying technology leader to becoming an insular, arrogant and visionless organisation mired in its own bureaucracy.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
capdjq

Angry Re: Just purchased aPlaybook

While I sympathize with your problems, i would appreciate if you do not hijack my thread .
Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
SpikeyP

Please accept my apologies for transgressing. I've misunderstood how this forum operates.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeyP View Post
Please accept my apologies for transgressing. I've misunderstood how this forum operates.
Oh, are there forums that encourage hijacking threads?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

I don't know of any, but some places (forums) and reddit are like the Wild West. Anything goes.

As a first adopter I have used the PB since it came out. I have seen it grow in the year I have had it. Still has a way to go, but hopefully BB10 blows away the experience I am having now. Seen some good apps and games have been, and (I hope) continue to be developed for the PB.

The iPad is a different experience, as are most Android tablets. Better or worse? Depends on what you want/need out of it.