BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM   #1
cherubic

Default bluetooth + palm pairing, why?

Please Login to Remove!

i was just playing around with my clie ux50 and my bb 7520 and i got them to pair up, now my question is what is the benefit? is there a way i can use one device with another? seems that there is really no point in doing so, any thoughts?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Unless you intend on using the clie as a wireless headset, there is no reason to pair ANYTHING to a BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Bluetooth has been limited to audio/wireless headset only. No data transfer.

So, as your note said, there is no point...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
cherubic

thanks, thats good to know!!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
thriller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100r
Carrier: Rogers

hopefully in the near future they will allow some data transfers, but since the govenment and army are big clients, i don't see it happeneing.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 AM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

That's very true.

BlackBerry bluetooth, however, is definitely capable of more -- there are hidden API's for serial stuff. The problem is when they will enable this.

Hopefully by Fall 2005, and the BES server will contain an option to cripple the Bluetooth features by default, to make it safe for governments.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
rdalemercer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Default Redundant statement?

"Cripple the Governement..."

OK. so my point is that if the "Government" wants their BB's incapable of using anything but hte wireless functionality - then, by ALL means , PLEASE limit to the BB's that are issued by the "Government" to their employees...and let the remaining population (we pay for their BB's anyway) have the functionality that allows us to be more productive.

The (currently) only added functionality that I would want to see is OBEX, and my reasoning is tied to the wireless headsets - so I can use the caller ID on the Bluetooth headsets (instead of phone number only).
Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 PM   #7
Tracon

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile
Default Bluetooth continued

I hope they do this soon. I am coming from a PocketPC background and had all my devices tethered via Bluetooth both for wireless synch and to use my phone as a GPRS modem with both my PocketPC and my laptop.

I think RIM is hurting itself with this - I got my device for $0 and it is starting to grow on me. But I never would have paid $200 for a device that doesn't support BT synch/serial.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Although this argument has been had before, I'll bring it up again. RIMs major customers are businesses, governments and the military. Those groups do not want Bluetooth data transfers or modems. The consumers do. Until the consumer demand for these features surpasses business/government security concerns, I'm betting that RIM sticks with their security model. Of course, devices with BlackBerry Connect (Palms, Clies, whatevers) will have more robust Bluetooth capabilities.
Closed Thread