Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Medusalith
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
Carrier: optimus
Default USB WiFI dongle for the 8700x Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

Because my 8700v does not have WiFi built in I was googling the net to find if there was any usb adapter to plug via the mini usb port of my BB and be able to connect the many hotspots I visit.
First I found a wifi pen adapter for printers (interesting, just plug it to the printer usb port and it becomes a network printer, whould it work in a berry?)
Then I found that there are some gps dongles that work with BBs via usb cable or bluetooth.
And at last I found something that sound like what I am looking for!!!
It's the USB WiFi Dongle (site mobilefun .co. uk) That says in its features that is compatible with:
BlackBerry: 8110 Pearl, 8120 Pearl, 8130 Pearl, 8220 Pearl, 8320 Curve, 8820, 8900 Curve, Bold, Storm
can anyone help this newbie in this issue please?

Would this usb wi fi dongle provide wi fi connection when plugged to my 8700v?

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-04-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

If the stats there don't state it works with the 8700, I'm guessing not.

But your best source would be the manufacturer.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Medusalith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
If the stats there don't state it works with the 8700, I'm guessing not.

But your best source would be the manufacturer.
Yes and I already sent a querry. But I already know the answer, because this dongle i not to connect to handhelds its to connect to pcs.

But let me explain better my thoughts and the why I'm asking for oppinions here in the forum.

#1 I know the 8700 series is considered obsolete, there is no interest in producing or developing upgrades for it. It's a shame though because the same way you just don't throw away your laptop just because it hasn't built in bluetooth, wi-fi, memory or it's running out of disk space, you shouldn't give up your pocket pc or your BB.

#2 Nowadays technology is more affordable than ever and best of all it primes to be compatible and homogeneous with as much other tech features, gadgets, etc, as possible, so

#3 Given the above reasons, I find interesting that since the 8700 series has the mini usb port it could have more uses besides connecting the charger or the pc cable.

So all that brought me to ask arround if there exists the possibility to improve ones handheld features without having to buy a newer model?

If the mini usb port could allow to work a tiny memory or wi-fi dongle it would be great.

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-04-2009 at 03:24 PM..
Old 06-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Most of your assumptions are wrong.

No one is saying throw out or away a laptop or BlackBerry. Many people are using them. But some hardware is not upgradable, because it was not important or user-friendly or useful, at the time of manufacture.

Anyway, good luck with it all.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Most of your assumptions are wrong.

No one is saying throw out or away a laptop or BlackBerry. Many people are using them. But some hardware is not upgradable, because it was not important or user-friendly or useful, at the time of manufacture.

Anyway, good luck with it all.
BOOM! Head shot!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
Medusalith

Hey I know none of you told me to toss my 8700 away! If you guys took the explanation of methinks and wishes as a rant repply to Sanders oppinion, I'm so sorry but it wasn't. I appreciate all comments and I don't come to the forum to demand anything, i come here to ask everybody for advice and experience.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
Medusalith

Yes I know you never said nor implied to toss the bb to the bin!
Regarding that, it was I just expressing my oppinion about considering BBs so usefull that they deserve to be treated like laptops, cause laptops are upgraded instead of having to buy a newer one to add features. And this is all in the context of old models both to BBs and laptops, i. e., an old laptop with a usb port still gets lots os possibilities while an old BB does not, even if it has a usb port too. And you point out the real facts & reasons very well " But some hardware is not upgradable, because it was not important or user-friendly or useful, at the time of manufacture".

I don't get where I might have been unpolite because that's what I'm sensing from reading Dc/dc's post... i was just sharing the reasons that led me to search before ask.

That's why in my first post I was exposing that although my 8700 does not have wi fi built in, I searched if there could exist a possible dongle/pen/stick or whatever able to adapt to the handheld and do the trick. I was holding some hope in the begining of my search because I found it existed for printers to make them wireless, and then I found the wi fi pen that is compatible with several BBs models and dispite the 87xx are not included in its specs I still posed the question because I've read arround that some apps and other stuff that are design for 8xxx series can happen to work with the 87xxs, but the thing is that is is not mento to plug to the handheld it is to plug to the pc (silly me).

Don't know if I could manage my english well enough to clear up my cordial intentions.

I'm very pleased with my nevertheless.

Big thanks for all your troubles!

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-05-2009 at 01:01 AM..
Old 06-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Medusalith

Default wifi sdcards for mobile pc's

Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Medusalith

here I am back to uptade everyone interested in my search.
today I've found out that there are SD cards that provide wi fi to handhelds that do not have it built in. Check it out at:

http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blo...om_just_mobile

here is an excerpt of the article:

"Lately Wireless LAN access has become the rage with mobile devices. Many newer devices come equipped with an 802.11b wireless LAN built right in. Most of the older devices do not and to take advantage of this technology requires you to purchase a separate SDIO Wi-Fi card. This is where the SDIO wireless card from Just Mobile comes in. Also known as Mobis.

It is one of the smallest SDIO Wi-Fi cards around. Externally it looks like any other Wi-Fi as you can see in this image below. The Just Mobile card is the one on the far left.

The driver integrates into Windows Mobile and allows you to use the familiar Windows Mobile wireless applet. Installation is a breeze. Just insert the CD into the PC and install while Activesynced.

2 clicks of the mouse and the driver is installed. Once the driver is installed, you can insert the card and away you go. The Wi-Fi card will activate and automatically detect an accesspoint or Wi-Fi signal. The driver will prompt you the necessary information as required by the remote connection like the encryption code. Once all the proper information has been entered, your connection will be live and you can launch the Pocket Internet Explorer from the START button. "

And I also found a very interesting pen that says in its specs that it is compatible with the BB 8700 series and this pen is for inserting sd cards.
Check it out at:
http://www.mobymemory.com/products/M...ive.asp?cat=14

I already contacted the supplier to clear out some doubts (I won't fully explain them all now, don't have the time to sorry) and be assured this pen is to plug into the 8700 since in the spects it says it is compatible and we all know the BB 8700 does not have a sd slot just the lateral mini usb port to inser the data cable or charger.

Anyway this is all interesting info for me, because even if this pen is not a mini usb pen I have seen in stores usb to mini usb adapters.

Well just exposing my thoughts.

I will see is anything of this has value to go on and try it, otherwise I won't spend any money on it (cause it will be more worth to save the bucks and buy a new handheld), because the pen is very sheap but the SDIO cards can range from 65 to 120 or more $$$ depending on if they are just wi-fi or wi-fi plus memory space.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Some people instead of comunicating just talk in turns"

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-08-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 06-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusalith View Post
here I am back to uptade everyone interested in my search.
today I've found out that there are SD cards that provide wi fi to handhelds that do not have it built in. Check it out at:

802.11g SDIO Wi-Fi Card from Just Mobile is great even for Existing 802.11b Wi-Fi Users | Smartphone & Pocket PC magazine

here is an excerpt of the article:

"Lately Wireless LAN access has become the rage with mobile devices. Many newer devices come equipped with an 802.11b wireless LAN built right in. Most of the older devices do not and to take advantage of this technology requires you to purchase a separate SDIO Wi-Fi card. This is where the SDIO wireless card from Just Mobile comes in. Also known as Mobis.

It is one of the smallest SDIO Wi-Fi cards around. Externally it looks like any other Wi-Fi as you can see in this image below. The Just Mobile card is the one on the far left.

The driver integrates into Windows Mobile and allows you to use the familiar Windows Mobile wireless applet. Installation is a breeze. Just insert the CD into the PC and install while Activesynced.

2 clicks of the mouse and the driver is installed. Once the driver is installed, you can insert the card and away you go. The Wi-Fi card will activate and automatically detect an accesspoint or Wi-Fi signal. The driver will prompt you the necessary information as required by the remote connection like the encryption code. Once all the proper information has been entered, your connection will be live and you can launch the Pocket Internet Explorer from the START button. "

And I also found a very interesting pen that says in its specs that it is compatible with the BB 8700 series and this pen is for inserting sd cards.
Check it out at:
USB2 SD / MMC Card Reader / Pen Drive : MobyMemory Card Readers

I already contacted the supplier to clear out some doubts (I won't fully explain them all now, don't have the time to sorry) and be assured this pen is to plug into the 8700 since in the spects it says it is compatible and we all know the BB 8700 does not have a sd slot just the lateral mini usb port to inser the data cable or charger.

Anyway this is all interesting info for me, because even if this pen is not a mini usb pen I have seen in stores usb to mini usb adapters.

Well just exposing my thoughts.

I will see is anything of this has value to go on and try it, otherwise I won't spend any money on it (cause it will be more worth to save the bucks and buy a new handheld), because the pen is very sheap but the SDIO cards can range from 65 to 120 or more $$$ depending on if they are just wi-fi or wi-fi plus memory space.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Some people instead of comunicating just talk in turns"
It won't work.