BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:09 AM   #261
disinvent

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

rogers is still not up. i get random emails to my 8700. internet is fine and pin is fine. i can log in to bis and send service books but dont actually get them. ive done a few resets (battery out) just in case.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #262
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

I seemed to be delayed by one email right now. ie new email comes in, the email before that gets pushed.

I'm also getting rogers activation messages every few hours.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #263
Tennvol
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

I stand corrected...everything was working until 10 mins ago. Now I have "edge", no browser, no host routing table, no email...........

Arlington, VA
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #264
cwosigns

Model: 9300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossBerry View Post
You know, now that you mention it, my connection description has been going between 1xev and the usual 1XEV since last night. Can anyone explain the difference to me, aside from the obvious capitalization?
When you see 1xev it means you're connected to the Verizon EVDO network, but not the BlackBerry servers and service. 1XEV means you're connect to both Verizon's network AND the BlackBerry service.
Columbus, Ohio
Old 04-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #265
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I have some devices working and some not (various carriers - Nextel, Sprint, T-Mobile). I also have 1 Nextel device that I cannot get to complete the Enterprise Activation. This is for an existing user who is getting a different device (7520). The activation gets to 'Waiting for services' and then times out.

Ho Hum.....
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #266
writergal
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Pearl

Rogers was down for about 15 minutes last night and then came back up. I guess with the back log, my e-mail was delayed up to 8 hours this morning.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #267
writergal

Model: Pearl

Rogers was down for about 15 minutes last night and then came back up. I guess with the back log, my e-mail was delayed up to 8 hours this morning.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #268
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
The percentage comes into play with the subscribers affected not the systems down. I'm sure all of their systems are up and online and functional. The reality of fault tolerance is that there's no way to ensure 100% uptime, no matter who you are. If it can fail, it will fail, eventually (and that goes for data redundancy plans, as well).
I'm gonna have to followup, though, and point to the link that another member posted from the G&M:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../Business/home

I feel vindicated for my statement, RIM has everything going through one NOC and that NOC screwed up for whatever reason. This is piss-poor planning and a horrible network infrastructure, they should feel rightly chastized for having such a crappy infrastructure with one point of failure.

(systems engineering hat on) There is no excuse. (hat off)
Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #269
quillhill

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

Had a whole bunch of e-mail this morning (backlog from yesterday evening) when I got up at 8 a.m. PST. Things have been coming through sure and steady since about 11 a.m.
Funny enough I didn't enough wonder why my e-mail wasn't coming through to the BB until someone asked me if I knew about it around 9 p.m. PST yesterday. Heh. I guess after I've had dinner I don't really think much about the ole Berry on a weeknight.
But it came back up in time for me to have a harried e-mail exchange with my dentist's appointment setter. Got tomorrow's appointment cancelled. Yay me! Boyo, what would I do without this thing? ;)
Old 04-18-2007, 07:46 PM   #270
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
I'm gonna have to followup, though, and point to the link that another member posted from the G&M:

globeandmail.com: What went wrong?

I feel vindicated for my statement, RIM has everything going through one NOC and that NOC screwed up for whatever reason. This is piss-poor planning and a horrible network infrastructure, they should feel rightly chastized for having such a crappy infrastructure with one point of failure.

So load balance through mulitiple data centers on multiple continents with a hundred-fold redundancy on the load balancers only to have a provider have issues? Honestly, the idea behind 'no single point of failure', as i mentioned, is a big ole marketing ploy. Kind of like Santa Claus for the network and systems weenies (yes, I'm one of the latter). An outage of this magnitude makes people understand that no matter what kind of HA environment you build, there's always something out of your reach that can (and will) happen that disrupts service.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #271
jibi
BlackBerry God

P.S. - That's just my personal opinions, by the way. When I do speak to our RIM contacts, obviously I'll side with your opinions and judgements, but I also know the reality of issues that are going to happen from time to time.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #272
anderson

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile

9:00pm EST
Tmobile NE Ohio

BB Emails are still very flakey (emails get sent out late, in bursts)
WWW is hit/miss. Usually works one time. Then will not go anywhere else.
EDGE (not edge)
Old 04-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #273
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
P.S. - That's just my personal opinions, by the way. When I do speak to our RIM contacts, obviously I'll side with your opinions and judgements, but I also know the reality of issues that are going to happen from time to time.
haha sounds like me talking to my people... "look, if I had my way there'd be an OC-12 drop to every desk and you could look at all the pr0n you want, but for now you are *not* allowed to download episodes of 'Lost' via the office LAN."
Old 04-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #274
dadsp33k

Model: 8700c
PIN: 203CC888
Carrier: Cingular

all's well for baltimore cingular
Old 04-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #275
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

TMO in Denver Co,

I am only getting GSM on my berry, no gprs or GPRS.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #276
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post

And you'd be OK to pay twice as much for your service so that an outage every year could be avoided?

As I tell my users, e-mail is a great tool. But if yiu need to make absolutely sure that your commmunication is received, pick up the phone!!!
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #277
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I woke up to this problem in Gdansk, Poland this morning on three different networks. Flew to Shannon, Ireland and still had the same problem. It was obviously much bigger than just North America/Western Hemisphere. Got back to the states and all was working again this afternoon.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #278
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
And you'd be OK to pay twice as much for your service so that an outage every year could be avoided?
Possibly, yes - but then again you're on Robbers and already pay through the nose for data charges. But keep in mind RIM services, amongst others, very large businesses that *will* pay to never go down.

Quote:
As I tell my users, e-mail is a great tool. But if yiu need to make absolutely sure that your commmunication is received, pick up the phone!!!
My data charges are over twice my phone bill, so why isn't my service twice as good? But I digress...
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #279
Soapm

Carrier: TMO

I just came up at 1105 MTN. Glad we don't have these outages often...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #280
jibi
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB View Post
An executive at our company said this morning, in regards to the outage and business notification to our users, that "BlackBerry technology changes the way we do business with one another. When we have a widespread outage such as this one, even those people who don't have BlackBerry devices need to be notified, as it affects the way we work and management styles and practices for everyone."

Yes, I will agree with you that the phone has not been replaced by email, but the entire scope and landscape of how business is run has changed because of data communication services, such as email (and mobile email). Depending on your company, considering either as non-critical non-replacements for traditional communication devices, such as the phone, would be an oversight, imo.

Do I think that BlackBerry is a high priority critical service? At my former company, the largest conferencing provider in the world, I would say 'No' in most cases. At my current company, I would have to say an emphatic 'Yes'.