BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 01:38 AM   #21
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Check the Bluetooth options for services listed. I'll bet you no longer have the two services you need, Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass. Your policy got changed to disable those services.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-28-2005, 02:04 AM   #22
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

You're right. I just have the headset and handsfree (I think). I just noticed that after I put up my last post. What's up with that???
Old 11-28-2005, 07:31 AM   #23
Pscobee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: cingular

I have Bluetooth installed, but cannot check the box in step 3? keyboard and mouse work fine, but still no bluetooth option.

I also emailed my mi8 support to add the Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass services for when I can get to that step.

Any thoughts?

Peter

==============================================

0. Naturally make sure you have Bluetooth working on both devices and have made a successful pairing.
1. Open up the BlackBerry Device Manager.
2. Click on the Device Connection tab.
3. Make sure the Enable Bluetooth Support is checked.
4. Select the Configure Bluetooth button.
5. It will hopefully find your BlackBerry and show you the PIN and say BlackBerry 8700.
6. Go back to the Desktop Manager
7. Go to Options --> Connection Settings
8. Select Bluetooth **It should show Bluetooth-PIN: xxx (where xxx is your PIN **
9. Go back to the Desktop Manager and try IntelliSync
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 AM   #24
barjohn

This indicates that you are not using the MS Bluetooth stack but probably some third party one lik WIDCOM. You will have to uninstall the third party driver and use the MS stack to make it work. RIM needs to change this so it supports either the MS stack or the WIDCOMM since most Bluetooth dongles require the WIDCOM stack to provide other profiles.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-28-2005, 09:45 AM   #25
Wavester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: the tail on a donkey
Carrier: T-Mobile

I turned on the bluetooth on my IBM T43P and went to Add Device on the BB 8700.

The BB discoverd my laptop and requested the passkey.

A ballon on my laptop told me that a device was attempting to pair with them computer. It asked me for the passkey then recognized the BB 8700 Smartphone and also installed something called Voice Gateway on BlackBerry 8700 (What is this?)

Went under connection settings in BB Device Manager and changed port to the Bluetooth Port.

Went to IntelliSync and done.

So what is the Voice Gateway?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:33 PM   #26
Pelzl

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

My IT guys got this to work per the above suggestions. Here was the key on our system:

If you have an account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it must be running software version 4.0 Service Pack 3 or later and the following IT policies must be set to FALSE (by the system administrator):

Disable Desktop Connectivity

Disable Wireless Bypass

Ours were set to true and that is default apparantly. Works fine now and the services have been updated under bluetooth settings.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #27
bigwillokc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavester
I turned on the bluetooth on my IBM T43P and went to Add Device on the BB 8700.

The BB discoverd my laptop and requested the passkey.

A ballon on my laptop told me that a device was attempting to pair with them computer. It asked me for the passkey then recognized the BB 8700 Smartphone and also installed something called Voice Gateway on BlackBerry 8700 (What is this?)

Went under connection settings in BB Device Manager and changed port to the Bluetooth Port.

Went to IntelliSync and done.

So what is the Voice Gateway?
The voice gateway allows you to use your computers mic/speakers during calls as opposed to your blackberry's.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:37 PM   #28
bigwillokc

Model: 9800

Is it just me or does anyone else think its stupid that the bluetooth sync won't work unless you are using XP with SP2? These things are supposed to be meant for businesses and 90% of the businesses are still using Windows 2000 Pro, not XP. And since Windows XP Pro doesn't support upgrading from Windows 2000 Pro, I am going to have to completely rebuild my laptop just to get it to work. In other words, I wasted $50 on a bluetooth adapter for nothing.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 PM   #29
tommyboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820

I am having all sorts of problems with this too. First, I cannot enable bluetooth support in the Device Manager as it is greyed out. Also, my BT Manager keeps trying to assign com port 40 to this connection, yet Device Manager doesn't have a com port that high.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #30
barjohn

The current implimentation seems to be directed only to Windows XP SP2 as that has the Microsoft driver as a native component.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...nodeId=1067250

It does not work with any third party drivers which you must be using and is why you are seeing the voicegateway (profile does not exist on the MS driver) profile.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #31
TonyCT

Model: 7100g
Default BES Settings to get additional BT services

BES is the issue for a handheld lacking Desktop Connectivity and Wireless Bypass as BT services.

Some detail that may be helpful, cause it had us fooled.

When you look at the BES settings you see "Disable Desktop Connectivity" and "Disable Wireless Bypass" with empty checkboxes next to them so you might think that the feature was not disabled. But as mentioned elsewhere the default setting for these settings is "True" or disabled. If you click the check boxes next to the two settings you will get a dialog box in which you can choose "False" or not having these features disabled. When you transmit the updated profile settings to all handhelds, the two services appear.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #32
cabberry

Model: 8100c

I have a Dell 810 and I HAD to switch to MS SP2 native drivers. Then everything started working just fine. I used the same link already provided in this forum. Now I walk within 30-40 feet of my laptop and everything starts syncing automatically.

One interesting side note: I spoke to Cingular AND RIM tech support and they told me that that syncing wireless via bluetooth with my PC wasn't supported. I was shocked. Then I found directions from RIM on how to setup the sync. (The other irony is the RIM rep almost called me a liar and said I hadn't called Cingular first and been transfered... he kept insisting I called him direct and I had called Cingular first!)

Go to your fav electronics store and see the bluetooth devices lining the shelves this Christmas.. bluetooth is hear to stay. EVERY cell phone should support headsets, sync, AND wireless Internet using your Edge phone as a modem.... One can only hope RIM will see the light on this last issue and educate their tech support people on more than headsets.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #33
TonyCT

Model: 7100g

Cab...

I deleted the Toshiba stack that came with my Dell, on re-boot I didn't get a pnp response to load up the MS stack. The icon on the PC is lit, but there is no icon in the system tray and no option in the Control Panel. any thoughts on how I can get the MS stack to load?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:53 AM   #34
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCT
I deleted the Toshiba stack that came with my Dell, on re-boot I didn't get a pnp response to load up the MS stack. The icon on the PC is lit, but there is no icon in the system tray and no option in the Control Panel. any thoughts on how I can get the MS stack to load?
That's precisely where I'm stuck now. I can uninstall the WIDCOMM drivers/software but after a reboot the native XP SP2 software doesn't install...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillokc
Is it just me or does anyone else think its stupid that the bluetooth sync won't work unless you are using XP with SP2? These things are supposed to be meant for businesses and 90% of the businesses are still using Windows 2000 Pro, not XP.
Where are you getting this 90% figure from? We're definitely on XP SP2...
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #35
sfmays

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT Wireless
Unhappy Almost got it...but not quite

8700c (Cingular) works perfectly on USB sync to Desktop Manager. Followed all instructions and ideas on this thread (thanks to all for good pointers) to set up Bluetooth sync. Almost there...Device Manager is set up, Desktop Manager sees the Bluetooth Pin as well. Checkbox to automatically switch between USB/Bluetooth checked. But Desktop Manager still says Disconnected and won't let Intellisync connect. Any ideas on what's left to try?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #36
eykhong

Model: 9700
PIN: 21C27C4C
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy same problem here

I can pair my laptop with my BB, but can't seem to discover any services other than the headset. When I try to configure the bluetooth on my device manager, nothing shows up.

On top of that, my headset connection connects and then is immediately disconnected. What gives???
Old 01-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #37
treaty1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmays
8700c (Cingular) works perfectly on USB sync to Desktop Manager. Followed all instructions and ideas on this thread (thanks to all for good pointers) to set up Bluetooth sync. Almost there...Device Manager is set up, Desktop Manager sees the Bluetooth Pin as well. Checkbox to automatically switch between USB/Bluetooth checked. But Desktop Manager still says Disconnected and won't let Intellisync connect. Any ideas on what's left to try?
Since I just went through this trouble two days ago, I'll try and help. Did you make sure your Bluetooth adapter is on the supported Micro$oft list? I had the same problem using one that was labeled as "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" ... As soon as I went to a named brand (Belkin) I didn't have any problems.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #38
sfmays

Carrier: ATT Wireless
Default C++ runtime error fixed.

Yes, using the listed Sony adapter. I just uninstalled and reinstalled BBDesktop Manager but to the same result (except now I'm getting a Visual C++ runtime error "abnormal program termination" on the USB sync). Thanks for the ideas.

EDIT 1/9/06 -- The runtime error was apparently caused by a corrupted calendar entry. Deleting suspect entries finally led me to the problem, and now USB connections work again. However, still battling Bluetooth.

Last edited by sfmays; 01-09-2006 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Update
Old 01-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #39
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Has anyone been able to get this to work? I can complete the first step of pairing the device to the computer using the MS Bluetooth software; however, it shows no profiles in the services section. The second part, of getting the BlackBerry Device manager to find the device is where it fails. It cannot find the device. I haven't tried by using the non-MS Bluetooth software since the instructions call for the MS Bluetooth stack specifically.

I also found a bug in the Bluetooth implimentation for the Smart Card Reader that I am testing. I will post more on it in the Bluetooth section.

Getting Blutooth sync to work would be nice.
Alright thanks to the great info in this thread I have been able to connect and sync wirelessly via bluetooth. Works like a charm. I did need to resart my BBdevicemanager software on my computer after I added my BT dongle (D-link DBT-120 USB BT Dongle) to my laptop (Fujitsu P7010 running XPPro Sp2 using the MSBT stack/drivers). Everything is working great. It is important to make the computer a trusted source via your handset, as soon as you do that you will be able to "connect" with the BBDestopmanager software on your computer.

Now the important stuff....anybody have any hacks or drivers to allow for bluetooth wireless data tethering. I used to BT teather my SE P900 for data and it was nice but slow (GPRS) but still handy. EDGE with wireless teathering on tmobile (FREE) would make traveling a dream in hotels, airports etc. Hopefully it is possible at some point, even if it needs a 8700 firmware upgrade. Ideas? I have only done this stuff with Mac OS X. When I pair my 8700 with my mac it is clear the the 8700 firmware/BT does not allow the wireless data service, this needs to be hacked pronto.

Last edited by deezmfnutz; 01-07-2006 at 07:37 PM..
Old 01-07-2006, 05:48 PM   #40
mbay2002
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

I too would like to see a hack to allow for bluetooth wireless data tethering, but, FIRST, how about a hack to allow data sync between BB and my laptop running Win2K???? BT is running great on my laptop, but my only option is the WIDCOMM BT drivers which for some reason RIM doesn't want to play with...
Closed Thread