gmmt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido
Default refurbished bb on fido connect

Please Login to Remove!

hi all,

I am new to the bb world.. with respect to the BB IMEI number and the Operator lock, how can I be sure that a refurbished bb (unlocked) will work with the fido bb connect? many thanks in advance..

Cheers,
g
Old 05-08-2007, 03:46 PM   #22
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmt View Post
hi all,

I am new to the bb world.. with respect to the BB IMEI number and the Operator lock, how can I be sure that a refurbished bb (unlocked) will work with the fido bb connect? many thanks in advance..

Cheers,
g
if its unlocked it will work. im using a tmobile berry on Fido.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
znino

Carrier: FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemaytoe View Post
So I signed up today for the fido bb connect. As I expected the fido representative on the phone was very clear in stating that the service is not warranted for any other phone but the one offered but I said I wanted to try it and that the worst that happens is that it doesn't work and I have to cancel my plan. As soon as I put in the fido sim I got messages, I hadn't even activated my pin and imei yet. I know this because I tried to put in my imei and I kept getting a message that the number was already registered. I called fido back and no one at tech support could help me, so I called rogers tech support and that's when I started to get some clear answers. Rogers and fido are almost but not 100% doing the same bb service. The bb connect plan while offered by fido is being handled by rogers. I was told by rogers that my fido bb connect plan is identical to the rogers plan. So, here I am with my unlocked 8700g, my grandfathered city plan at $40.00 per month(!!!) and now my email service. I picked the 25 meg for $40 plan as a place to start but from what I can see I won't be using the entire amount in a month. When I called rogers I asked them if they could give me some idea of the amount of data that I used since I started up a week ago. They told me that I have only used 1 meg. I find that incredible. I thought that I used it quite a bit.
Now I just have to figure out how to use the rest of this thing. I'm going to be hanging around this forum for some time to come I think.

Cheers,
Hi, you speak in your post of a 25Meg for $40 plan for data at FIDO. As far as I can see on their site, $40 buys you 7Meg not 25. I called them and the girl told me the same thing. Did I miss something here? Do you have a special plan? Any hints? I would obviously prefer 25Meg instead of 7Meg!
Old 05-24-2007, 05:54 PM   #24
rbgwynne

Model: none
Carrier: fido
Default Blackberry devices on FIDO

I run a BES at work with devices from all over north america on many different carriers (Rogers, Telus, Sprint, and Verizon). I do not use the Blackberry services of the individual providers. Instead, the device is activated on my BES server.

Does anyone know if I will be able to activate a blackberry device (or BB Connect device) through the Fido network to my BES?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 AM   #25
tkicovic

Default Blackberry Pearl: MMS and Attachments on FIDO

Does anyone know how to send pictures from their Pearl? I am on an unlocked Rogers BB8100, now on the Fido network. I just got BB Connect, but still can't send picture files. Help!

Tamara
Old 06-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #26
firevincen

Model: na
Carrier: na

OK, I just bought an unlocked 8800, and was trying to setup the BIS through BlackBerry Internet Service. It was giving me this error message when I was trying to create an user name and password, "The System has encountered an error, please try again". I called Fido, after few transfers and finally I was getting this answer "The BB Connect technology we used in Fido is different from the native BB. In order to set up the service properly, you probably have to wipe (huh?) the whole phone, and install the correct technology (eh?) in order to set up the BIS." Wellll....I am not sure what to do now. My BB doesn't allow me to set up BIS from the handset. Anyone having this difficulty? Do they actually take your IMEI or PIN when they setting up the BB Connect plan?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #27
znino

Quote:
Originally Posted by firevincen View Post
OK, I just bought an unlocked 8800, and was trying to setup the BIS through BlackBerry Internet Service. It was giving me this error message when I was trying to create an user name and password, "The System has encountered an error, please try again". I called Fido, after few transfers and finally I was getting this answer "The BB Connect technology we used in Fido is different from the native BB. In order to set up the service properly, you probably have to wipe (huh?) the whole phone, and install the correct technology (eh?) in order to set up the BIS." Wellll....I am not sure what to do now. My BB doesn't allow me to set up BIS from the handset. Anyone having this difficulty? Do they actually take your IMEI or PIN when they setting up the BB Connect plan?
I would put a big ZERO faith in any Fido customer service reps. Unfortunately in my many years of dealing with them, I have never had one that knew technically what they were talking about. That is not what they are trained for. On the odd occassion that go to someone technical level support, you cannot even talk directly to the tech guy, the customer support monkey keeps going back and forth. It is so stupid and frustrating!

As to your problem, my experience with the Pearl was straightforward. I setup the BIS directly at BlackBerry Internet Service like and after creating a logon, that is where I input my PIN and IMEI etc. I never gave that info to a FIDO rep. All I told FIDO is that I wanted to subscribe to a FIDO blackberry data plan. Did you do that? Perhaps it won't let you create your blackberry account unless your profile shows you have subscribed to a data plan?

I dont buy the wiping the phone business. I would seriously doubt that the Pearl and the 8800 have such different operating systems that it would not work because of that. My Pearl is a "native" BB and I had nothing to wipe!

what brand is your BB 8800? Rogers? My pearl, although unlocked, is a rogers branded phone.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #28
dicin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

The Pearl and the 8800 are almost the same. Zinino is bang on with the datail. I have a BB 8100 with Rogers which i will be porting back to Fido since they have reinstated me back on the Canada Wide unlimited plan.
There is no difference between BIS Rogers or Fido.

Cheers,
Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #29
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagga View Post
Well this is because just in 2006 ALONE of all users on Rogers Wireless network only 4% yes just that many, uses wireless data (including ALL packages).

Thats 4% of 6.5million users on Rogers Wireless! 260'000 PPL! OUCH not enough to sustain profits from data alone. This is NOT isolated from common ppl and BES users this includes users owning SE phones and other business' using Mobile Data Modems (like Fido's iFido service - initially started by Innuckshuk Inc) & local Toronto Police Cars using EDGE data to communicate with Police HQ.

Pathetic I know ... but with stratosphere pricing then Rogers will never have a blowout qtr or find short-term return on investment for their limited 3G service.

So you see the viscious circle.
it's sad to see how idiotic Rogers is and how much we all suffer from being hostage to them. they often make the excuse that canada has a lower population, but where blackberry users are, toront-montreal, calgary, vancouver etc...our population density is extremely high. but like you said, they themselves are being short-sighted likely. bell, unfortunately isn't much better, and telus just doesn't have the infrastructure. so we are stuck. much of the problem stems from the way the industry was regulated to protect bell in the first place.
it is ironic though that the birthplace of the blackberry has the very worst blackberry plans in the developed world.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:16 AM   #30
firevincen

Model: na
Carrier: na

Thanks Znino for the prompt response.

Actually I called them last night to activate the BB Connect plan before I create a Logon. Only after that I got the error. However, seems they have changed the logon menu? It asked me first to enter the PIN and IMEI before I can create any user name and password.
I completely agree with you that 8100 and 8800 have the same backbone as I owned a Pearl before.
As for the brand, yes it is Rogers Branded Unlocked.

I am thinking calling in and ask them to cancel the service and set it up again. Until this point, I think they simply did not activate my BB Connect.

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by znino View Post
I would put a big ZERO faith in any Fido customer service reps. Unfortunately in my many years of dealing with them, I have never had one that knew technically what they were talking about. That is not what they are trained for. On the odd occassion that go to someone technical level support, you cannot even talk directly to the tech guy, the customer support monkey keeps going back and forth. It is so stupid and frustrating!

As to your problem, my experience with the Pearl was straightforward. I setup the BIS directly at BlackBerry Internet Service like and after creating a logon, that is where I input my PIN and IMEI etc. I never gave that info to a FIDO rep. All I told FIDO is that I wanted to subscribe to a FIDO blackberry data plan. Did you do that? Perhaps it won't let you create your blackberry account unless your profile shows you have subscribed to a data plan?

I dont buy the wiping the phone business. I would seriously doubt that the Pearl and the 8800 have such different operating systems that it would not work because of that. My Pearl is a "native" BB and I had nothing to wipe!

what brand is your BB 8800? Rogers? My pearl, although unlocked, is a rogers branded phone.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #31
jamroco2000

Model: m600
Carrier: Fido
Default Got it working with a SE M600i

Hey everyone,

Thanks a ton for this post - I didn't realize this was possible with Fido - I thought you had to have the Nokia device (which I like to call a brick with a keyboard) to use blackberry connect.

Here is my situation and how I got it working (Note this isn't for blackberry users but rather for devices that offer blackberry connect service)

I have an unlocked Sony Ericsson M600i - from doing some reading online - this particular model does offer support for Blackberry Connect - except I somehow have to get the Blackberry Connect software onto the device (it doesn't come preloaded). To do this I visited the Sony Ericsson support site (specifically the UK site as the US site didn't offer the software for download) and downloaded the generic SIS installer for Blackberry connect for my device. I installed it onto the phone and set it up with the generic settings.

From there I called Fido and basically told them I had a blackberry device and I needed to add the blackberry connect service to my account. Now here is where it got strange. He never asked me for my pin or my IMEI. I asked that he probably needs it and he said "no" - just go to the fido registration site and type your pin in and put in the generic IMEI number which is 222222222222228.

Now when I visited the fido blackberry site and tried to register my pin - it didn't work! My first instinct was it didn't work at all - but then I tried to register the service from the phone using the blackberry connect software - that worked! Except what I think it did is it connected to the main blackberry site and not the fido blackberry site. This is ok because fido uses the same site - it just brands it with the Fido logo.

So what I did is I created the account first on the phone (it doesn't ask for the pin and imei as it gets it from the phone). Once I was able to do that - I then went back to the fido site and used the username and password I created on the phone and I was able to login with no problem. From there everything was smooth sailing and I was able to get a fido blackberry email account created, and have it push the messages to the phone.

Hopefully this helps some of you out there and of course if you have any questions of me - please ask.

Thanks

Jamroco2000
Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #32
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Ask me ;)

mine did work but they charged me every single data i've used to end up with a 370 bill.

For them to tell me OH ur phone isn't supported bla bla bla bull and tell me i can't use bbconnect anyone has that problem?
Old 07-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #33
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

you should not have this problem at all...

look at my sig and you will know why i say that. you must have went over the data usage, have you looked at your bill to see?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #34
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
you should not have this problem at all...

look at my sig and you will know why i say that. you must have went over the data usage, have you looked at your bill to see?
No i didn't go over when i look at my bill and it says clearly 4072 kb..

when i ask the chick she told me oh ur phone is not a fido phone thats why and then told me the bbconnect is ONLY for the e62 that my phone is a rogers phone and bla bla bla

Last edited by MissKalunji; 07-16-2007 at 08:40 PM..
Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #35
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

thats messed... do you have the bill online or in print? how lond ago was this? if you have it in email form, email it to me and i'll take a look...

i know i heard this was a issue a while back (billing issue), but as far as i knew it was fixed.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #36
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here's a description of my bill

it says i used 4,047.00 kb = 202.73

when i asked him if extra mb wasn't 6$ each she told me yes but you got charge 0.05 cents each....
Old 07-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #37
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
thats messed... do you have the bill online or in print? how lond ago was this? if you have it in email form, email it to me and i'll take a look...

i know i heard this was a issue a while back (billing issue), but as far as i knew it was fixed.
It was through online.....pdf...

if you want i can copy paste it? and e-mail it to u
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM   #38
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

yeah email it to [email address]

and i'll take a look at it...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #39
MissKalunji
Thumbs Must Hurt

sent
Old 07-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #40
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

looking into it now... I'll email you back with when i figure it out. but i think i see the prob, not sure.
Closed Thread