Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
eva_madison

Model: 8530C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TELUS
Default Blackberry Virus??

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I know my blackberry "can't" get a virus or anything but listen to what's happening because I am convinced mine has one and do not know what to do about it. A lot of you are probably also smart computer people too so if there is another explanation I am open to it.

Two weeks ago my email account started mass mailing a virus/malware/spam whatever you want to call it to everyone in my contact list (some bounced back and returned to my email which I got on my blackberry and alerted me to the problem). I immediately ran a virus check, and many adware and spyware programs on my computer, they all turned up negative. Twelve hours after emailing itself out it changed my password to my email account. I have the account link to an alternative email, so I was able to regain access.

I did this on a separate computer and never entered the info on my laptop. I changed the password on my blackberry to relink to the account. Within 24 hours the same thing happened again. I freaked my computer was clean and could not figure out how this happened. Again I repeated the same process but entered the new info on a computer outside my home and our network. I continued to run and find new scans they all showed no problems. The password and mass emailing happened again. My father suggested that maybe it was my BB and I told him he was crazy. I repeated the process to regain my account but did not enter the info on the BB. I waited a week and nothing happened. I thought maybe it was a problem through Hotmail so I relinked the account with my blackberry. Within 24 hours the thing had massed emailed itself and changed my password again. Again all computer scans were still negative, even though I had never logged into my email on the computer during this whole time that was linked to my network, I avoided both home and work computers.

I got the account back and waited four days to link it with my BB, again within 24 hours the same thing happened. I was convinced this was a coincidence so I tried it once more and waited four days- nothing happened, but within 24 hours of being relinked with the BB it was taken again.

I have the account back, again...and its been fine for the last two days but if I relink it I know it'll be stolen again. I am changing both the secret question and password to something new each time. I have zero problems until I enter the new password in BB to have access to the account on my phone. It HAS to be the BB I just don't know how it is possible, what to do about it or why the virus is not changing my alternate email were it is changing my password.

Help? Advice? I tried searching the internet and have come up with nothing and I have done battery pulls in between here hoping that would help. I feel like I am going crazy and am hoping there is logical solution here but I've tested it and every time withing 24 hours of the password being entered on my BB the process repeats. Thoughts?

E.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

There is no virus that works on a BlackBerry. However, it is possible to get a worm on your media card (just like on a usb flash drive) that can infect your computer and vice-versa.

If you have a media card in your BlackBerry, and if you connect your BlackBerry to your computer with the usb connector, the worm could get transferred from one to the other. Nothing can cause your BlackBerry to send mass email, but a worm can do that on your computer.

If you do connect your device to your PC and it has a media card, have your antivirus scan the card.

I think what happened is your computer is infected and causing all the trouble. There are viruses and worms that aren't always detected by antivirus software. Try an online scan of your computer with a different antivrus such as the ESET Online Scanner, which has one of the best dectection rates.
Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner

You might also download the trial of Kaspersky Antivirus and install it on your PC. It's good for a month and has great detections.
Free Kaspersky Anti-Virus Software 2010 - Kaspersky Lab United States

(I don't work for either of these companies, but I know they are good products).

You could also go to a free computer help forum and get help to check your computer for undetected viruses.
Virus & Other Malware Removal - Tech Support Guy Forums
MalWare Removal; View forum - Malware Removal

It's possible you have a worm that is infecting your entire home network also.
http://www.securelist.com/en/glossar...gloss189275916

Last edited by daphne; 06-12-2010 at 01:38 AM..
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
b52junebug
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Many
Carrier: Corp demo abuser..

What about Spyware? It could be that. They recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the OS to remove it. Some company is offering a spyware removal tool as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Spyware would not be causing it to send mass email to the contact list. I agree with daphne in that it is most like a worm or other nasty bug on your PC that is/was transported via the media card.

Scan the system as she suggested and get rid of all the bugs and then reformat the media card.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wirelessly posted

Also agreeing with Daphne, there is no form of spyware/virus to this day.

Anti-virus/anti-spyware programs are the first thing to try.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Read Daphne's post. I had an employee who had his media card infected by his PC and it sounds exactly what she offered.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Enflick

Model: 9800
Carrier: bELL

Welcome to 2010, mobile viruses :/
Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
happyt8r

Model: 93784
Carrier: Verizon

Wife is having the exact same problem. She told me about it literally an hour ago. I googled around and happened on this forum thread. I would agree with the other posters about it being an issue with a virus on the PC except we run Ubuntu Linux on all of our PCs. I am not saying Linux is infallible and it very well may still be a virus on the PC(I do not want this to become a OS vs. OS flame war and be labeled a troll), but the chances of it are slim to none compared to more well known and more prolific operating systems so it is bringing my worry back to the blackberry simply for that reason. I am going to research this a little more and I will post back if I find anything else.

Oh and hello nice to meet you guys!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enflick View Post
Welcome to 2010, mobile viruses :/
It's not really a mobile virus.. It would be the exact same thing if the virus was on a USB Thumb Drive or CD/DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyt8r View Post
Wife is having the exact same problem. She told me about it literally an hour ago. I googled around and happened on this forum thread. I would agree with the other posters about it being an issue with a virus on the PC except we run Ubuntu Linux on all of our PCs. I am not saying Linux is infallible and it very well may still be a virus on the PC(I do not want this to become a OS vs. OS flame war and be labeled a troll), but the chances of it are slim to none compared to more well known and more prolific operating systems so it is bringing my worry back to the blackberry simply for that reason. I am going to research this a little more and I will post back if I find anything else.

Oh and hello nice to meet you guys!
Welcome to the forums!! Still stand on previous, we got no record of a BB virus that has been seen yet, but if one does arise I will stand corrected.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
CoraCora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SKLX
PIN: no pin on a sidekick
Carrier: T-Mobile US

What cause a computer to get a fatal errror and rebot itself? From the memory card?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #11
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraCora View Post
What cause a computer to get a fatal errror and rebot itself? From the memory card?

Who said anything about a computer getting fatal errors or rebooting?

Or are you hijacking this thread?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #12
SteveO86

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Who said anything about a computer getting fatal errors or rebooting?

Or are you hijacking this thread?
????? Yea seriously that came from left field... Or maybe even the outfield..

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
nroi

Model: 8520
Carrier: Airtel

well mate...seems like some serious problem..!!
to be precise it aint a VIRUS.. rather yu kn tk it as a TROJAN,,,
if your mobile has the internet access the Trojan(Lets call it FISH) cn send the vital data like yur password including other data...
the person on the other end may change it..

Yur problem is quiet obvious... as js like any other mobile or pc.. der r 2divisions.. 1personal settings(Platform on which apps r loaded) n 2nd generalized data storage..

when yu store any data its been stored on 2part.. n ordinary FISH attacks d same....

I have a FISH which has targeted my BB platform... its changing my folders into EXE files... n m hvin a hardtime takin it out..

BITDEFENDER worked for me.. check it out if it works for yu..

Good Luck!!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
SteveO86

The fact that can not even spell your post correctly is 1 thing.

I find it even harder to follow you post.

To re-iterate the fact.. To date, no virus has attacked the BlackBerry Platform.

The media card is a simply USB Storage device and can store virus, however the attack does not come through the BlackBerry platform.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #15
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nroi View Post
well mate...seems like some serious problem..!!
to be precise it aint a VIRUS.. rather yu kn tk it as a TROJAN,,,
if your mobile has the internet access the Trojan(Lets call it FISH) cn send the vital data like yur password including other data...
the person on the other end may change it..

Yur problem is quiet obvious... as js like any other mobile or pc.. der r 2divisions.. 1personal settings(Platform on which apps r loaded) n 2nd generalized data storage..

when yu store any data its been stored on 2part.. n ordinary FISH attacks d same....

I have a FISH which has targeted my BB platform... its changing my folders into EXE files... n m hvin a hardtime takin it out..

BITDEFENDER worked for me.. check it out if it works for yu..

Good Luck!!
Your statements do not make much sense, if any, and what you are posting is incorrect.

BitDefender does not have a version for BlackBerry. You can see here the mobile platforms it supports.
BitDefender Antivirus for Mobiles | BitDefender Antivirus

Please get your facts straight before posting about something you know nothing about.

If you are trying to post spam for BitDefender, they should fire you because you screwed it up badly.

Last edited by daphne; 07-15-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #16
RABnTN

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

In BB App World...Lockout Mobile Security

Back-up (contacts & photos, including from Media Card)
Virus Scan
Missing Device (locates lost phone).

Best of all, it's FREE...and works well on my 9700.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
CoraCora
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: SKLX
PIN: no pin on a sidekick
Carrier: T-Mobile US

No i was asking for my own issue but i resolved it by reformatting my media card.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 PM   #18
daphne

Quote:
No i was asking for my own issue but i resolved it by reformatting my media card.
Next time you should start your own thread instead of posting a different issue in someone else's thread.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM   #19
wengelman

Model: 8530
Carrier: verizon
Default Same thing

I don't know what it is but I just had the same thing happen to me. Mass email was sent from my blackberry and not my pc because my pc wasn't working because I am moving. The mails where spams to my contact list for a pharmaceutical company for ****** LOL. I am sure my mom was happy to get that. Honestly not sure what to do, or how to get rid of it.

Thanks for any advice

Wengelman
Old 07-16-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

ever send an email to everyone in your contact list?

if yes then one of them might be infected and not you
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread