SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
GMail supported IMAP a while back... but it was very flaky and "unsupported" on BlackBerries, priop to BIS 2.5 I stuck with POP access due to delays and the fact sometime it would sync unread/read messages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke03 View Post
I had this with BIS 2.5 though.
See my above post, some had some didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
Confirmed, no more workarounds/filters. I think I can finally get rid of that gmail application as well.
That GMail app is still useful for reading labels and etc.. I still got it just incase.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #62
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
That GMail app is still useful for reading labels and etc.. I still got it just incase.
That's why I said "I think" LOL
Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #63
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Works fine for me.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #64
sugar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile

Works here.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #65
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
I believe this is only a feature of BES. BIS 2.6 only allows 1-way sync for IMAP. Meaning from BB to Server, not the other way around.
I am new to bb...so forgive me if I just do not get this about 2-way and bes vs bis. Why does my yahoo em sync 2-way (pretty instantaneous also) to my bb and gmail does not??? I am on bis only.

Btw how do I do this gmail upgrade? I go to my sprint.blackberry.net acct, delete my gmail acct, re-add it, then for safety sake re-request service books to be sent, on my bb for safety sake do the battery pull. Do I have this (steps) all correct?
Old 03-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #66
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger13 View Post
Btw how do I do this gmail upgrade? I go to my sprint.blackberry.net acct, delete my gmail acct, re-add it, then for safety sake re-request service books to be sent, on my bb for safety sake do the battery pull. Do I have this (steps) all correct?
All you really need to do is delete your gmail account on your BIS site, then add it again, that's it.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #67
PapiPabs

Model: 9000
PIN: occhio
Carrier: AT&T

Has anybody else noticed their BB Maps icon missing after resending their service books to take advantage of the BIS upgrade? It's still listed under Options->Advanced Options->Applications, and the service book for BB Maps is still there...just no icon. I've tried a custom theme and it still won't show. Just found it odd.

Also, are you not able to edit your email signatures from the device (as was stated would be possible with 2.6) if you've already created a user account on BIS (not using automatic login through Personal Email Setup)? Changing sigs is still not an option for me at this point. On a side note, I did see the option to "show password" at first when I deleted and recreated my Gmail account on the device, but I don't see it anymore when I edit the account and scroll down to the password field. I get the feeling I've probably missed a step somewhere...

EDIT: Looks like the "show password" option only shows up on the initial setup of the account. Scratch that one from the record! LOL

Last edited by PapiPabs; 03-21-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #68
SteveO86

Hmmm I've still got my BB Maps icon.

Your right about the signature thing. I can't edit it from my BlackBerry..

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #69
PapiPabs

Quote:
Hmmm I've still got my BB Maps icon.

Your right about the signature thing. I can't edit it from my BlackBerry..
Sooo basically I've got no new useful functionality and I've lost my BB Maps icon...thanks RIM! Great update! LOL

It may be an "AT&T figuring out what was up and hiding it again" thing, but perhaps I'll try a downgrade-then-upgrade and see if the icon comes back. Not a huge deal if it doesn't since I've got Google Maps installed, but knowing that it's there and I can't see it/figure out how to get the icon back will kill me!

Thanks for confirming.

Last edited by PapiPabs; 03-21-2009 at 01:22 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 PM   #70
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

I still have my bb maps icon.

and when i delete from the desktop (googlemail), still does not delete from BB (still not good).

Yes, almost instant bing when gmail receives email !

So, when gmail mail arrives, why is red astericks only showing next to my BB's Message Center icon and NOT the Gmail icon (it used to do both) ?
Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #71
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
I still have my bb maps icon.

and when i delete from the desktop (googlemail), still does not delete from BB (still not good).

Yes, almost instant bing when gmail receives email !

So, when gmail mail arrives, why is red astericks only showing next to my BB's Message Center icon and NOT the Gmail icon (it used to do both) ?
1) Yes I get the icon as well
2) I think it only does the reverse. Delete from BB will delete from desktop
3)yes

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #72
PapiPabs

I managed to get the BB Maps icon back by restoring the service books from a backup I did at the beginning of this month. Just as a test, I logged in to my BIS account on my PC and resent service books with BB Maps open, and as soon as the service books were pushed it popped up a message saying "Maps has been disabled".

It looks like my prior suspicions were probably right...AT&T caught wind of people using BB Maps on their devices and put the kibosh on the operation via a change in the service books. You know, just when you get your head above the water, they push you back under!!! Hahaha...

Last edited by PapiPabs; 03-21-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #73
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post
Sooo basically I've got no new useful functionality and I've lost my BB Maps icon...thanks RIM! Great update! LOL
I wouldn't blame RIM... just AT&T

Quote:
That's how it was suppose to be... 1 way sync...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiPabs View Post
I managed to get the BB Maps icon back by restoring the service books from a backup I did at the beginning of this month. Just as a test, I logged in to my BIS account on my PC and resent service books with BB Maps open, and as soon as the service books were pushed it popped up a message saying "Maps has been disabled".

It looks like my prior suspicions were probably right...AT&T caught wind of people using BB Maps on their devices and put the kibosh on the operation via a change in the service books. You know, just when you get your head above the water, they push you back under!!! Hahaha...
LOL, how long till your contracts up time for a switch lol... Granted BBMaps is a very basic GPS app.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #74
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Us VZW users dont see it as basic if we dont want to pay for navigator

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:50 PM   #75
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
VZ overcharges - everyone knows that, but what you get in return is a reliable network and good cust service. It's like buying a lexus, very similar car to a camry, but cust svc and the experience is what you are paying for (aside from maybe a slightly better car?).
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #76
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:

That's how it was suppose to be... 1 way sync...

If this is the way it is supposed to be, then BIS when it comes to push mail is a rip off when you consider my buddies on Palm are getting full two-way push (IMAP) mail with google and a few other email services for what, price of the 3+ year-old chattermail client? And folks on Win Mo devices can get free (at least now w/ beta) Seven client and do the same with yahoo, hotmail and gmail?

So, is BB using simply using the 'excuse' that 2-way only works with BES b/c they have not worked out the kinks with hotmail and google (and others)? I ask b/c Yahoo mail is full 2-way w/ BB. And BB is known as the premier email/messaging pro (and consumer) device in the industry, maybe I am just expecting a bit more from them.

Last edited by winger13; 03-21-2009 at 08:06 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #77
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Yes BIS is well just BS - oh I mean BIS. When you have both, nothing compares to BES.

Quote:
If this is the way it is supposed to be, then BIS when it comes to push mail is a rip off when you consider my buddies on Palm are getting full two-way push (IMAP) mail with google and a few other email services for what, price of the 3+ year-old chattermail client? And folks on Win Mo devices can get free (at least now w/ beta) Seven client and do the same with yahoo, hotmail and gmail?

So, is BB using simply using the 'excuse' that 2-way only works with BES b/c they have not worked out the kinks with hotmail and google (and others)? I ask b/c Yahoo mail is full 2-way w/ BB. And BB is known as the premier email/messaging pro (and consumer) device in the industry, maybe I am just expecting a bit more from them.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #78
PapiPabs

Quote:
I wouldn't blame RIM... just AT&T
Good call. The BB Maps deal is AT&T. I wish that RIM had come through on letting BIS users change the email signatures for their accounts through the device though.

Quote:
LOL, how long till your contracts up time for a switch lol... Granted BBMaps is a very basic GPS app.
Hahaha...nah. I'm loving the Bold way too much to even consider a switch. Google Maps seems like a better app anyway. I just needed to find the reason the icon wasn't showing up so the issue wouldn't be hanging over my head!

Last edited by PapiPabs; 03-21-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #79
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
So true.. While it is basic I have used a handful of times and it is great!!

Quote:

Could.. However we have alot more stability then Win Mo.. At least in my expereince... Eventually I'm sure we will get GMail similiar to that we do with Yahoo..

But hey... before we had 0 way sync with Gmail/POP Access now we have 1 Way/IMAP..

It's an improvement at the very least.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #80
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default GMail Sent Mail Showing up in Inbox, Again

Due to BB issues, we been testing for past 4 hrs or so. During that time, I noticed sent gmails are again showing up in the inbox, but only for one of my gmail accts (out of three gmail accts).

anyone seeing this?

NEVER MIND, DELETED THAT ONE GMAIL ACCT FROM BOTH BB'S AND RE-CREATED. WORKS OK NOW

Last edited by winger13; 03-22-2009 at 12:57 AM..
Closed Thread