BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How many "push" accounts work at once on an 8700g or other BB?

Please Login to Remove!

I am considering buying another Blackberry and I have questions about email delivery and how it is handled. I only used a 7105t for under a month as a backup phone when I didn't have access to mine so I don't know much about them and I know that some of these questions have been answered before but hopefully it can be explained here in a way I'll understand. I read the FAQ section on this and while it told me a few things I wanted to know I still have some left. I will not have access to a BES Server unless I use a hosted service so please assume that I don't have that access in considering my questions.

1. Aside from the main Blackberry email address from T-Mobile (my current service) or Cingular, how many email addresses will be pushed to my device in real-time, rather than polling every 15 minutes or so?

2. I know that Blackberries still have all email accounts crowded into one messy list instead of separate ones, but when I reply to an email that comes to the device, will the reply address be the same as the one to which the email was sent or will it be the main Blackberry email address.

3. Will I be able to send and receive meeting requests via email and add them to the Calendar right from the phone?

4. On my Windows Mobile 5 device, there is a program called Microsoft Voice Command, which allows me to control the main PIM and phone features using my voice and it is completely user independent. Is there something similar for the Blackberry?

5. What do you guys here feel are the advantages or disadvantages of Blackberry push email versus MS direct push? I am using the latter currently and it is very good and I really do like it so that is definitely not my reason for looking to change. I just want to know differences that you guys (even with your obvious bias :D ) might want to point out.

Thanks!!

As a note, I am currently using an HP iPAQ 6915. I have a hosted exchange service giving me direct push email to the device along with immediate synchronizing of Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks. I want to give simplicity a try though, even if just on a second line, and that is something that BB seems to provide.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

Uhh to answer what questions I can
1:You can gather email from up to 10 accounts... Now whether those will be pushed or not depends on the service. I think they have to be IMAP with IDLE support or something like that
2:You can leave the individual mail boxes displayed on your homescreen so that way email is segregated, thats what I do and YES it will reply from the address that it was sent to as long as you have that set up thru your BIS or use BB reply (If thats still around)
3: I don't know
4: I don't think there is with 8700 or previous devices, maybe the pearl does?
5:I don't have any experience with MS Direct Push because i couldn't figure out how to do it on my Q. All I know is that enter a user name and password on the BB and bingo your good to go and I love it and I'll never switch again, I've left BB 2 times (once for size second for carrier) and I'm back again and definatly not going anywhere.

EDIT
I use all yahoo accounts on my BB and Yahoo is real time with BB along with reconciling and PUSH
Old 12-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

2. Depends on how you set it up. If you set up forwarding your BIS email address (*.blackberry.net) then no. If you integrate the account with BIS, then yes.

3. Nope. It's a BES-only feature.

4. I haven't seen anything like this either.

5. Mainly better reliability of the devices but YMMV.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

My sister just reminded me of something from back when I had the 7105t in February of this year. I had a "---@ameritech.net" email address being pushed to my Blackberry. I was not forwarding it, rather I set it up via the T-Mobile website for Blackberries, and it worked in real time. I also had the default Blackberry email address arriving in real time.

Is this the way it is always supposed to work? Would this be possible with an 8700g or Pearl?

She now has that very 7105t and has been unable to get two addresses pushed to her device. One is on the 15 minute delay setup while the main BB address is pushed in real time. I am wondering if I just have some special kind of magic...ok, stop laughing...

Basically, I have two Gmail accounts that I would like to use and I want to have them pushed to me so I can respond immediately to messages but I want to have the replies appear to be coming from the address to which the emails I am replying to have been sent. Thus, I don't want to forward them to some other address. Might I be successful?
Old 12-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #5
laser

Model: 8703E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
My sister just reminded me of something from back when I had the 7105t in February of this year. I had a "---@ameritech.net" email address being pushed to my Blackberry. I was not forwarding it, rather I set it up via the T-Mobile website for Blackberries, and it worked in real time. I also had the default Blackberry email address arriving in real time.

Is this the way it is always supposed to work? Would this be possible with an 8700g or Pearl?

She now has that very 7105t and has been unable to get two addresses pushed to her device. One is on the 15 minute delay setup while the main BB address is pushed in real time. I am wondering if I just have some special kind of magic...ok, stop laughing...

Basically, I have two Gmail accounts that I would like to use and I want to have them pushed to me so I can respond immediately to messages but I want to have the replies appear to be coming from the address to which the emails I am replying to have been sent. Thus, I don't want to forward them to some other address. Might I be successful?
Gmail pushes in real time.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Gnail and Yahoo both push in real time. BB's with BIS have separate mail icons and a mixed message list icon to choose from. It's up to you which one you want to use. When I reply to an email it uses the same address as the one I got it on.

Other email services may, or may not, push in real time. Depends on the service.
Closed Thread