Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
ioniancat21

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Poor IPD Editing Tools

Please Login to Remove!

I just wanted to comment on the lack of IPD Editing and administration tools available for Blackberry Users. You would figure Blackberry would provide tools that would easily make this possible, however, this is not the case. Instead you have these small-time products like ABC Amber's tools and Magicberry's offerings along with all these freeware homegrown apps. While I commend these individuals for creating a "tool" in general, I have to say "thumbs down" to Blackberry for having a situation occur like this.

I remember back when Palm was king, a variety of tools offered for the Tungsten that allowed you to edit their files and databases. Today's Blackberry offerings make the Palm look like a piece of junk in comparison, yet the Palm had superior software tools to edit their data files.

These features should be included free as part of the Blackberry Desktop or as an upgradable option for it.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Nice (and illogical) rant

The IPD is a backup file. Not a content database. It was never designed for editing and extracting data.

How's Palm doing these days? Surprised that with their superior file editing that they aren't doing better.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

That's funny. I have a tool that exports .ipd files to .xml for easy editing. And converts back to .ipd
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
TTsoldier
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 2168B71A
Carrier: bmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
That's funny. I have a tool that exports .ipd files to .xml for easy editing. And converts back to .ipd
Can you share please?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Raptor464

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTsoldier View Post
Can you share please?
Blackberry IPD and service book editor

From this thread: Open-source IPD & service book editor (IPD->XML->IPD) - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Old 12-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Why would I want to edit an ipd of mine? If there is a reason, I don't see it.

I can see the possibility someone else would want to get into my ipd file, and I'm happy to encrypt it.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
ioniancat21

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Can you share please?
As I said, comments like this reinforce my point. If tools were so readily available, users like the above quoted wouldn't be looking for them. I'm sorry to have offended you BB loyalists and yes, Palm is toast today, as I said in my original comment when I stated:
Quote:
Today's Blackberry offerings make the Palm look like a piece of junk in comparison
If it's a game of file formats then..........Blackberry needs to have a software tool to edit the data in bulk from the phone. I don't care if it's an IPD or XYZ file, the bottom line is that Blackberry's data editing tools are weak. I have a user at my job that has almost 7500 contacts, to-do lists, alarms and all the trimmings going and when he says "remove these 1000 contacts and replace them with.....", many hours are spent doing this. Working in .XML is not like text, so if you don't have any idea how .XML statements are formed, you're up the creek. Would you want to edit under those conditions? I don't think so!! You guys commenting negatively here probably have a 50-100 contacts in comparison and don't understand the scope of what professional users want to accomplish.

How about mail-merging?? My user wants to merge his BB address book with Act! as well as Outlook 2003 and 2007 also. Try managing issues with duplicates when the data is from 3 different data sources!!!

Under these conditions, Blackberry's native and 3rd-party tools don't hold muster.

Like I said ABC Amber offers an IPD editor that does many of these things like weed out dupes, remove bulk contacts and the sort. The problem is ABC Amber is only an individual, not a company full of people so development of the tools are slow. Furthurmore, it's ironic that while BB is one of the biggest companies making smartphones, they have nobody developing software to address the gaps in their services.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So you apparently have found a game changing huge gap in the RIM offerings, that no one else seems to have found or cares about. That would be called a niche.

So all you need to do is find someone to custom code the app that you need.

And what, exactly, is a "professional user". Maybe I will ask any of the 2000 BB user here. Maybe they will know.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioniancat21
Quote:
Can you share please?
As I said, comments like this reinforce my point. If tools were so readily available, users like the above quoted wouldn't be looking for them. I'm sorry to have offended you BB loyalists and yes, Palm is toast today, as I said in my original comment when I stated:
Quote:
Today's Blackberry offerings make the Palm look like a piece of junk in comparison
If it's a game of file formats then..........Blackberry needs to have a software tool to edit the data in bulk from the phone. I don't care if it's an IPD or XYZ file, the bottom line is that Blackberry's data editing tools are weak. I have a user at my job that has almost 7500 contacts, to-do lists, alarms and all the trimmings going and when he says "remove these 1000 contacts and replace them with.....", many hours are spent doing this. Working in .XML is not like text, so if you don't have any idea how .XML statements are formed, you're up the creek. Would you want to edit under those conditions? I don't think so!! You guys commenting negatively here probably have a 50-100 contacts in comparison and don't understand the scope of what professional users want to accomplish.

How about mail-merging?? My user wants to merge his BB address book with Act! as well as Outlook 2003 and 2007 also. Try managing issues with duplicates when the data is from 3 different data sources!!!

Under these conditions, Blackberry's native and 3rd-party tools don't hold muster.

Like I said ABC Amber offers an IPD editor that does many of these things like weed out dupes, remove bulk contacts and the sort. The problem is ABC Amber is only an individual, not a company full of people so development of the tools are slow. Furthurmore, it's ironic that while BB is one of the biggest companies making smartphones, they have nobody developing software to address the gaps in their services.
We are supposed to read your mind in your OP and know what you are ranting about, which you fail to state until here?

Still, I don't see it as a blackberry issue. But obviously I'm not a user of your professional caliber.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
Raptor464

Hey...if you want to go through and edit your address book, calendar entries, messages or whatever....why don't you sync like everyone else does...edit on your PC...and then sync back...I think that's pretty easy
Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Apparently that's not what professional users do.
Closed Thread