Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
mazzer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: o2
Default BB 9500 V iphone

Please Login to Remove!

i have been using BB products for years now & resisted as far as i could the onslaught of apple into the smartphone arena..i even posted on here how i would never use or want an iphone. however a friend of mine allowed me to use his 3g for around 4 months now & must say, what it is designed to do - it does very well and i have been very impressed by the applications and obvious ease of connecting to itunes. however, as time has gone on the primary function of the device, i.e as a communications device, is not without its faults and frustrations, the list below comprises of my plus & minus and is not exhaustive:

MINUS
cannot run two apps at once
fiddly text UI
fiddly email UI
fiddly phone UI
not enough preference settings
Bluetooth limited
No voice control
surprisingly no wireless sync with an imac for itunes
PLUS
connectivity is effortless- it just works
exchange server sync works like a dream right out of the box
only crashed twice in 4 months
as many apps as you can shake a stick at

but i am going back to my BB storm, the reasons are very simple, you will find that apart from music and podcasts ( both available on storm) you will hardly use any of the apps as you will be too busy getting on with life, also the ease of functionality after using the iphone is actually a joy, and the iphone is ...sorry to say....soulless..i like the iphone..but i love the BB
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

No device is perfect for everyone. Pluses and minus and what is most important to the user will ultimately decide what device it right for you. I do have to say though, if the iphone had BBM and a unified mail box, it would be the perfect device, for me. As it is, it does not, forcing me to carry both devices.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
SmoothOperator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I own many devices, including two iPhones (3G and 3GS), three Blackberries, a Nokia N82 and if you include the devices I sold, I had way too many devices. Allow me to summarize.

iPhone: leisure device. Safari is the world's best browser by far, and nothing comes close to it. However, the iPhone sucks at multi-tasking, and for most applications, when you exit it will not resume where you left off if you return. Furthermore, there is no equivalent to the crucial left convenience key (i.e., application switcher) all Blackberry devices use. Yes, the App Store is nice, but really, who needs applications like Epic Fail? After browsing through the App Store, I find that many of those applications are impractical, and I get the feeling that they are apps just for the sake of being apps. iPhone is a device that appeals to the emotions, but from a practical and productivity prospective, it falls short compared to other devices.

Blackberry: productivity machine. A definite must for those who constantly receive emails for business. You basically take your office with you in your pocket. You receive an email from your boss, then you respond back immediately. Another email arrives from your customer and you want to give him an immediate answer. A MMS message from your associate arrives to give you the latest sales numbers. You copy and paste to your spreadsheet while your wife calls you from home, then you get an alert from your calendar telling you that you have an appointment with a new client right now, so you call him using his contact information to tell him that you will be fifteen minutes late. A new customer sends you an email and you add his information to your Contacts List, and you will write him later. Oops, you forgot to add something to your spreadsheet, so you go back to the MMS message to copy and paste to your spreadsheet, which is right where you left off when you last used it (thank God). At the end of the day, you use Desktop Manager to sync new contacts and data to your desktop.

Comparing the iPhone to the Blackberry, I would say that the iPhone has the feeling of Ooh! and Aaah! for its multimedia features, but Blackberry is more of a Get to the point device.

Last edited by SmoothOperator; 01-26-2010 at 11:18 PM..
Closed Thread