Old 08-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Please explain :)

Please Login to Remove!

I've just purchased a Blackberry Curve 9300, my first Blackberry, so I know nothing of it's operating system or inbuilt security.

I am a techno novice who hasn't the first clue so please be patient with me..

Now I am used to my PC and having to have antivirus software on it. I've also recently had an android which my neighbours lad instantly put AVG on, insisting it should be protected.

And now my problem is this, and I have this problem cos I'm stupid...;) I've been having a look through this section, and I just plain can't get my head round the fact that my Blackberry can go onto the internet and such as Facebook etc without some sort of antivirus thing on it, cos I just can't understand how a Blackberry can't catch viruses or why there are no viruses that will attack a Blackberry.

My android was an upgrade with my contract and was a pain in the rear, so I have bought this one myself. So not only do I want to look after it for the money spent side of things, but it's now my 'baby' and just about the bestest ever phone and I love it to bits and want to look after it...

I wonder if someone could explain in simple terms to this rather thick aged Blackberry owner why they don't get viruses etc...

Thanks
Ang x
Old 08-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Please explain :)

There are no known virus for the BB - yet. They are pretty secure devices, so that probably has soemthing to do with why there are no viruses out there, at least in any large numbers.

I don't even know if there is an anti-virus program for the device, probably is somewhere, but very few people use it. You just don't need it - yet.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the reply...

So, if the android operates more like a PC, is the Blackberry more like my old phone...Samsung U800 that could access the internet but wouldn't catch anything?...but with smartphone features?

Sorry to be a pest...

Ang x
Old 08-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

The main problem with Android' security or lack thereof is that Google does not examine apps before allowing them in then Android Market. There have been scores of malicious apps in the Market that were designed to steal user data, send texts and more. Also apps that leak user data without user consent or knowledge. BlackBerry and Apple iOs do not have that problem because apps are subject to strict standards. iOS has had some privacy issues and big security issues when jailbroken but BlackBerry has none of those issues. There are some spy programs that work on BB but they have to be user installed and allowed. Keep your BlackBerry password protected with a short timeout and don't give others access. BlackBerry is the most secure mobile device. Viruses made for Windows and other platforms do not work on the BB os.

Last edited by daphne; 08-20-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Old 08-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Daphne, that puts my mind at rest a lot more...

I can stop my endless trawling of the net for an antivirus that I don't need and that doesn't seem to exist....which I was getting fed up with doing. Must have searched the same web pages dozens of times....lol.

I'm not someone who tends to connect the phone to the PC, so thinking about it logically can't even catch anything from there eh.

Good to know my new baby is safe.... thanks...

Ang x
Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Keep your BlackBerry password protected with a short timeout and don't give others access.
I've put a password on, but as I'm home most of the time ( I'm disabled) and have dozens of txts coming in in an evening I haven't enabled it cos of having to put the password in every few minutes.

Am I doing right on that or not.....should it be enabled all the time?

Ang x
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

A password is the best way to secure your BlackBerry. No BlackBerry has ever been hacked to get past it. You can set the time delay for the device to lock itself for up to one hour. Options > Security > Password.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Rambo. I'll set it up properly now...

Thanks for your help everyone...
Ang x
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

I recommend backing up your BlackBerry on a regular basis - if not by using Desktop Manager, then you can use BlackBerry Protect and back up online.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
wellingtonboot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Daphne...

Actually I saw something last night that I'd forgotten all about.

I was fiddling with the BB and got rid of Twitter. I do FB but can't get my head round Twitter so I had this mad notion of getting rid of it in case I see an app that I like better. Not very likey cos I don't do app downloading....

Anyway, I went through the delete bit and the BB asked if I wanted to restart and I said yes.

It restarted and there on the screen was a thing that said....checking unbuilt security...

So I am now password protected, I've seen it has inbuilt security and I'm a happy bunny...

Ang x
Closed Thread