BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #21
brentcizek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I'm loving Garmin Mobile(right now its 20% off)..so for me 80 bucks gives me the great garmin name...(pretty big fan)

Also of course have google maps, BB weather, Slacker Radio and for twitter fans...Tiny Twitter

Used to have twitterberry and i HATED it... so far tiny twitter seems a crap ton better.

does anyone else have complaints on where the USB port is located..? I use my phone a helluva lot while its plugged in..and this is going to take some getting used to...why on earth would anyone put a charging jack to the right or left of the keyboard? Almost makes it impossible to hold with two hands and type..or even just your right hand...and my left hand is retarded...so crap.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
proussak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGuy View Post
Interesting question.
You can set your BB's MSMS (Mass Storage Mode Support) to "On"/"Yes" Options >>> Memory >>> MSMS "On" and "Yes" when connected. Then Save!
Now, when connecting to your Mac via USB, your BB will show up as an icon on your Desktop. Double-click on it and go to the Music portion of the files. Now just drag songs from your iTunes directly into your BB.

Side note: Your OS must be Mac OS X version 10.5.5 or higher! I bet most people don't own Macs this new.
I do see the BB as an attached drive (and I'm running only 10.4.1 by the way) and I suppose I can drag and drop but doesn't that lose a lot of the iTunes database info? Can I drag a playlist? Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
NorthAurora
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcizek View Post
I'm loving Garmin Mobile(right now its 20% off)..so for me 80 bucks gives me the great garmin name...(pretty big fan)
Nothing beats Garmin, that's for sure. I downloaded their 7 day trial and will see if it's worth to have on the BB.

How do you get the 20% off? Their site lists the $99 price for lifetime (registered to your blackberry)
Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #24
hearmeoutx

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

I have facebook, twitterberry, weather eye, buzz me, amaZe, BuzzMe, AIM, MSN, and a few others. I use them all on a regular basis .
Old 02-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

OMG, just downloaded the free Garmin app and its impressive. Easy to use, high res taking advantage of the 8900's beautiful screen, and quick to load. Those Garmin programmers should really get into making other apps as this program is probably the most impressive thing from any 1st or 3rd party. I won't pay $3 for a pretty theme but I'm willing to pay the $100 for Garmin's app; now where can I get that 20% off?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
Tixxx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: t-mobile

Definitely curious as to where to get Garmin for Blackberry for $80 as well. Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM   #27
NorthAurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumsGum View Post
OMG, just downloaded the free Garmin app and its impressive. Easy to use, high res taking advantage of the 8900's beautiful screen, and quick to load. Those Garmin programmers should really get into making other apps as this program is probably the most impressive thing from any 1st or 3rd party. I won't pay $3 for a pretty theme but I'm willing to pay the $100 for Garmin's app; now where can I get that 20% off?
I couldn't agree more, impressive application. Having been a long time Nuvi owner I love the instant familiarity of the typical Garmin application.

It seems that the navigating to coordinates feature was left out, which is a bummer.

Also, I wonder what happens if you have to switch devices, like when your BB breaks and you're getting a new one. Their website says that the lifetime purchase price is tied to a specific BB.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #28
Tixxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAurora View Post
I couldn't agree more, impressive application. Having been a long time Nuvi owner I love the instant familiarity of the typical Garmin application.

It seems that the navigating to coordinates feature was left out, which is a bummer.

Also, I wonder what happens if you have to switch devices, like when your BB breaks and you're getting a new one. Their website says that the lifetime purchase price is tied to a specific BB.
Question: How can I transfer my Garmin Mobile for Blackberry license to a new phone?
Answer:

Garmin Mobile is offered as a one time purchase for your Blackberry. The license applies to the first phone on which the application is activated. If upgrading to a different Blackberry, the license expires and much be re-purchased if continued use is desired.

If a phone is replaced by its carrier because of a malfunction, Garmin can transfer a license to the replacement device. This transfer must occur within the first twelve months of activation and is at Garmin's sole discretion. Garmin allows one transfer of this type for each license. In order to transfer a Garmin Mobile license, please contact technical support.

To find out more about the Garmin User Terms, view the Garmin Mobile for Blackberry EULA.
Last modified on: 12/17/2008
Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #29
CableGuy711

^ wow THAT sucks. I really love my garmin GPS, but I'm not sure I'd be down paying for a new license everytime I change phones
Blackberry 8300 Curve (2 Faithful Years)
Blackberry 8100 Pearl (My 1st Love)
Old 02-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
brentcizek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900

Hey..here's the link for the "blackberry lounge"

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

completely retarded...I asked a rep from garmin why the price isnt honored through the whole site...and he comes back saying its "blackberry lounge" price...
Old 02-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #31
Tixxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcizek View Post
Hey..here's the link for the "blackberry lounge"

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

completely retarded...I asked a rep from garmin why the price isnt honored through the whole site...and he comes back saying its "blackberry lounge" price...
Really cool of you, thank you!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #32
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah, i kinda figured garmin was for the life of my phone. i still may bite and go for it, even though i'll probably upgrade this 8900 in 2 yrs like i have every other phone i've had.

i just can't say enough great things about this garmin app. it truly is a marvel, every thing from turn by turn with speech including street names, down to the details like the matching icon for the new "wireframe" berry themes; everything in this garmin app screams quality high level programming. how every did they fit everything in a 1.5mb download i don't know.

it really does turn your phone into a full featured gps device. i do have to test the app more and see how the battery drain is and have to find a phone holder for my car that will hold the phone upright before i pay for the full version. i do urge everyone to try out the app for free for 7 days.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
NorthAurora

Quote:
how every did they fit everything in a 1.5mb download i don't know.
The 1.5mb is just the core application. It basically downloads pretty much everything on demand including the maps, so you really should make sure to have an unlimited data plan, but most blackberry users have one anyway.

I noticed with google maps that when I am on the highway the app has problems to keep up with downloading the maps, especially when you're driving over 60mph. When you zoom out more it has to download less and that usually works, but then you can't read the street names and other details.

I will try and see how this Garmin app handles this situation on the highway. I would hope that it does some intelligent caching.

Last edited by NorthAurora; 02-23-2009 at 09:07 AM..
Old 02-23-2009, 10:52 AM   #34
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Not sure what to think now. I picked up a Garmin 755T a couple of months ago, and that's a superb device. I know the software is really close between this and the BB version, and it's tempting to have this on the 8900. But... the large touch screen on the 755T really makes for a good driving experience -- not sure I'd be as happy with with the 8900 as a nav device on my dashboard. One of the reasons I chose the 755T was its 4.3" screen as opposed to the smaller 3.5" GPS devices -- the 8900 screen is gorgeous for a mobile phone, but seems small to me for a car GPS. I think I *would* like nav on the 8900 for walking (e.g., around NYC) or bike riding -- although I'd be very curious to know the relative battery life between the 755T dedicated GPS device and the 8900 running Garmin software.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #35
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAurora View Post
The 1.5mb is just the core application.
i know, it's still a marvel of a program. i veered off course and it quickly recalculated the map with new directions. though i haven't tried seeing how fast that map would refresh at 60+mph. the app isn't a resource hog either. i had slacker streaming music, bluetooth on, and had garmin up and the 8900 handled it well. hats off to garmin for producing a gem of a program.

a couple small negatives though; to really get the most out of the app you'll need to connect the phone to your car's aux input as the phone's speaker volume would probably be to low to hear the turn by turn directions in real world situation. oh, and due to the app streaming street names, the bitrate quality is poor compared to a dedicated gps device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Not sure what to think now. I picked up a Garmin 755T a couple of months ago, and that's a superb device. I know the software is really close between this and the BB version, and it's tempting to have this on the 8900. But... the large touch screen on the 755T really makes for a good driving experience -- not sure I'd be as happy with with the 8900 as a nav device on my dashboard. One of the reasons I chose the 755T was its 4.3" screen as opposed to the smaller 3.5" GPS devices -- the 8900 screen is gorgeous for a mobile phone, but seems small to me for a car GPS. I think I *would* like nav on the 8900 for walking (e.g., around NYC) or bike riding -- although I'd be very curious to know the relative battery life between the 755T dedicated GPS device and the 8900 running Garmin software.
yeah, i'm still debating on whether to bite myself. figuring that i'd have this program for 2 yrs (life of my phone) the $80 becomes $3.33 a month, a worthy price for the novelty alone. i'm gonna put heavy use on it during this trial week and see where i'm at. i'm more worried about the added battery drain to my phone.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #36
Tixxx

Does this actually work with the 8900? Garmin blackberry I mean. Seems I can't access satelites and now my maps program can't either.

Last edited by Tixxx; 02-23-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #37
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
yeah, i'm still debating on whether to bite myself. figuring that i'd have this program for 2 yrs (life of my phone) the $80 becomes $3.33 a month, a worthy price for the novelty alone. i'm gonna put heavy use on it during this trial week and see where i'm at. i'm more worried about the added battery drain to my phone.
Battery drain is the biggest concern for me -- that and the fact that I have a brand new shiny 755T with a 4.3" touchscreen with a very loud speaker. Only real value for me, I think, would be applications where I'm on foot or bicycle.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
Terasec

Model: 8350
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nextel/sprint
Default 2 i recomend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoBB View Post
Hey guys

What useful and free applications would you recommend I download into my new, shinny 8900?

Thanks
Are viigo
And slacker
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #39
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

wow, i just tried vlingo and it's a greap voice to text app. vlingo
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #40
Tixxx

Quote:
wow, i just tried vlingo and it's a greap voice to text app. vlingo

Which model do you choose under T-mobile? 8900 not available.
Closed Thread