daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default 2 of 3 Blackberrys have malware? I don't think so

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone care to comment on this?

Exclaim Mobility Acquires SmrtGuard Mobile Security Cloud-service Applications - MarketWatch

Quote:
PRINCETON, N.J., Oct 28, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Exclaim Mobility, Inc. announced today that the company will launch a new consumer mobile device security service, Snap Secure, as a result of the company's recent acquisition of Smart Solutions, Inc. and its award-winning SmrtGuard mobile security, privacy, data backup and restore application.

Two out of three BlackBerry devices, three out of four Windows Mobile devices and just about every Android device have malware infections. Specifically, consumers using Android devices, according to a report released by McAfee in August, were targeted with malware attacks 76 percent more over the previous three months, making it the most vulnerable system in the mobile market.
I call major BS on that article. Pure FUD designed to sell security apps for mobile devices. They are wrongly using the McAfee article to justify their propaganda.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: 2 of 3 Blackberrys have malware? I don't think so

I suppose it depends on *their* definition of malware.

Example: If a person consciously installs an app on their BB, trusting it to be a legit game for instance, but that app does something malicious like harvest contacts. Wouldn't that be considered malware?

Unless I am missing something, that is very possible. But two out of three may be a rather high assumption.

Last edited by devnull; 10-28-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Old 10-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I think it is pure BS, but devnull makes a good point re: definition of "malware".

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Devnull, I just found out about this today after I posted this thread. Check out these threads at CrackBerry about Jared Company apps.
Jared Company Spam after downloading app - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Why Is Jared Company Still Allowed to Offer Apps? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I've never downloaded any of their apps, and never will after reading those threads. But I don't know if any of the security apps for BlackBerry like SmrtGuard would detect that either. I guess the lesson is to be careful of the permissions apps ask for and what you allow. And read user agreements, privacy policies.

But claiming 2/3 of BlackBerrys, 3/4 of Windows Mobile and "just about every" Android device has/have malware is a huge exaggeration, unless thay have solid research data to back it up which I highly doubt.

Last edited by daphne; 10-28-2011 at 11:33 PM..
Old 10-29-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
I've never downloaded any of their apps, and never will after reading those threads. But I don't know if any of the security apps for BlackBerry like SmrtGuard would detect that either. I guess the lesson is to be careful of the permissions apps ask for and what you allow. And read user agreements, privacy policies.
I agree daphne. I would not download their apps either. When I first got a BB, I installed practically everything I could get my hands on. Themes, Apps, Games.... But when I realized that developers could sneak in code and not be detected, that was the end of that. Now, the only things I install are from RIM.

Not sure how this crap code could be detected either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
But claiming 2/3 of BlackBerrys, 3/4 of Windows Mobile and "just about every" Android device has/have malware is a huge exaggeration, unless thay have solid research data to back it up which I highly doubt.
I agree. Sounds like sales speak. I very much dislike sales people.

Last edited by devnull; 10-29-2011 at 10:11 AM..
Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Deadsoul

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Nothing

I think that's a very high number and devnull does make a point there
Closed Thread