BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Prev Alltel...now Verizon
Default Not a complaint...a question...what makes 9630....

Please Login to Remove!

I'm not posting a complaint, I am just asking if anyone with technical hardware knowledge has any idea what makes this 9630 reboot itself haphazardly??

All of a sudden the device just white screened and rebooted itself. Now in my area the signal strength is not the best. Everytime our daughter comes home to visit from college her 9630 will reboot itself like this 2 or 3 times while she is here in like a 2-5 hour span. She said it never acts like this while she is at school, which is in a larger market where she has an excellent signal.

So can anyone give me any insight into why this is happening? Does this mean that the unit is faulty and needs replacing, again??

Again this is not a complaint post, I am just trying to figure out why the unit does it...I mean maybe this is normal for this unit, I really don't know and just want some input from the tech gurus.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Well if you live some were with weak signal the phone would go into full RF power to talk to the cell site. So maybe itxxx8217;s just over heating? Going to full RF power is normal by the way. All phones adjust power to talk to the tower. This is part of the battery saving feature. What I am saying does not explain why your phone is booting all by itself but maybe that has something to do with it? I would exchange the phone.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

I don't know your skill level. There's .42 OS available in beta. If she upgrades that may remedy this problem.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well my skill level is not super techy and besides I have seen some people saying they had problems with these beta versions and I do not wanna add problems. So I think I wanna wait til the full version of the OS upgrade is out. I just can't figure out why my phone did it and why my daughter's does not have any problems til she comes home. Almost seems like it is something pertinent to this area and has nothing to do with the phone having a problem.

Almost as if VZW is making some kind of change that affects the Tour and thus the phone to reboot to load the change. Kind of like an update on a computer. Understand that is just my uneducated guess...that was why I asked on here, I thought maybe there was a VZW tech person that could answer the question.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostman72 View Post
Well if you live some were with weak signal the phone would go into full RF power to talk to the cell site. So maybe it’s just over heating? Going to full RF power is normal by the way. All phones adjust power to talk to the tower. This is part of the battery saving feature. What I am saying does not explain why your phone is booting all by itself but maybe that has something to do with it? I would exchange the phone.
I think this is going to be your answer, or close to it then if it just happens when yall are home. Verizon does not send OTA updates to BB's like they do their other phones so that won't be the issue of them updating it and having to reboot. I have a Tour on Verizon and mine never does it. The new OS is rumored to drop in two days or you could have them switch out your phones.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
shoppergirl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
I think this is going to be your answer, or close to it then if it just happens when yall are home. Verizon does not send OTA updates to BB's like they do their other phones so that won't be the issue of them updating it and having to reboot. I have a Tour on Verizon and mine never does it. The new OS is rumored to drop in two days or you could have them switch out your phones.
I am on my 4th new phone and this one has had the least amount of issues so I will see if the new OS update helps this problem before I get #5.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #7
lostman72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppergirl View Post
I am on my 4th new phone and this one has had the least amount of issues so I will see if the new OS update helps this problem before I get #5.
The new OS is not out yet from Verizon. I am testing the one that should be comiing out very soon. At this time no one has said when it will come out?
Closed Thread