Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
user name here

Model: World
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Lock Keyboard feature disappeared

Please Login to Remove!

I have a blackberry World and I did an update yesterday. After the update was completed, I no longer had an icon to lock my phone. I can still lock the keyboard by pressing the mute button or the button on top of the phone, but I like the old way of locking the phone and pressing * + green button to unlock. Does anyone know how to retrieve this feature?
Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
kellyjdrummer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMo

It's probably no longer there, but hit the Menu button then Show All. If it doesn't show up, it's gone. Personally, I find the new method somewhat safer.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
user name here

Model: World

Thanks, I had already tryed the "show all" and its not there. the only thing I like better about the old way of locking is when the phone is in my pocket, I am more likely to press one button to unlock it than I was to press 2 buttons on the key board.

Does anyone know how to get it back?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

In earlier versions of BlackBerry Device Software, a Lock icon was present on the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, which could also be invoked through a keyboard shortcut by pressing the letter K.

Due to changes in the security features of the BlackBerry smartphone, starting in BlackBerry Device software 5.0.0.362 for the BlackBerry smartphone, the icon has been renamed to Password Lock and the icon only appears when a security password is enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.

If a password is not configured, the icon is not present on the BlackBerry homescreen and therefore the keyboard shortcut K, will not allow the BlackBerry smartphone to be locked. For information on password security and steps for configuring a password, see article RIM KB00588.

If a password on the BlackBerry smartphone is not desired, a keypad lock can be enabled by pressing the Lock button on the top of the BlackBerry smartphone. Some BlackBerry smartphones do not have a lock button and the Mute button may perform the same function as the lock button.

Last edited by tsac; 03-26-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
fryebrandon1

Model: 8530

Thank You soo much tsac! I was wondering what happened! This fixes it!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
sckrat

Model: 9960
Carrier: VerizonWireless

I just upgraded to BB device software 5.0.0.591 (VerizonWireless) and the keyboard lock feature is gone. I liked that feature and used it constantly every day. I assume from the above post there is a way to work around it to get the same result; however I was happy with the old way. I hope, assuming it just wasn't an oversight, that there will be enough pressure on BB to add that feature back to the software.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
kellyjdrummer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMo

Mine works with the "A*" button, not the "K" button and unlocks with mute after upgrade to .509. No problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
cyrilthomas

Model: 8900C
Carrier: Vodafone

Any plans of RIM to get the lock features back... Hoping to get it very soon....
Old 07-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrilthomas View Post
Any plans of RIM to get the lock features back... Hoping to get it very soon....
Nope. It's not coming back. Lock buttons are it. They're far easier anyway.