Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
Nick_22

Model: 7250
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Aliant
Smile BB 7250 Need help changing carrier to the Aliant network service provider

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I have a BB 7250 from Earthlink and I want to activate it on the Aliant Network....I have upgraded the handheld software from v4 to v4.1
Now....the new carrier (Aliant) will activate the foreign unit; however they are concerned with how the unit will roam....the local dealers here are not helpful with ensuring the unit has the proper settings for voice & data to work on the Aliant network.

What I would like to do is:

1) Check to ensure the unit is not locked...I read the faq on this however my BB does not have the sim card option under advanced tools.

2) Program the unit with Aliant settings - country code, etc (When I activate the unit at a dealer I want to ensure everything is correct for my confidance in the dealers here based on my recent experiences and questions is not good)

3) Flash the unit will the Aliant PRL. (Since I did the upgrade to 4.1 their is a EVDO task that must be completed at a dealer (As per the Aliant website); however the 4 dealers I talked to didn't know anything about it)

Can anyone help? I have searched the posts but unable to find what I am looking for.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
cache_r_joe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus (Canada)

I may be wrong, but it might not be as easy as that. I'm from Atlantic Canada also and I know for Cell phones there is some chip changes that have to be made if you want to change your phone from Aliant to Rogers or Telus. Aliant/Telus change is the closest because Telus roams on the same towers, but you may be looking at more than just a setting change. Have you tried calling an Aliant dealer to see if it is able to be done, or even if it is worth doing.

Joe

Pain is Temporary... Pride is Forever

Old 08-08-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Nick_22

Thanks for your post Joe...
The Aliant tech reps say "Some handsets adapt; some foreign handsets don't...You won't know until you try - Take it to a dealer to get it programmed". Some Aliant dealers say it can be done...but in the same breath they say they don't know where to start....So I am stuck trying to find a dealer that can program "outside" the Aliant "friendly" phone setups to get my BB programmed. The problem is getting the Aliant settings on the phone and then to find a place to get it flashed with the final step that is suppose to be done by a dealer for the v4.1 EVDO upgrade to see if the Handset will update to the Aliant PRL...All dealers I have talked to have the deer in the headlight expression on their face when I talk of the flash for the EVDO upgrade that is posted in the instructions on the Aliant website for dealers to execute for the v4.1 upgrade.
So I thought if I could put the settings on the phone 1st that would be one step closer to find out if it will work when I have a dealer activate it...and if it doesn't work after all that, I would be satisfied that all has been done and my 2 1/2 yr old would have a new toy.

Last edited by Nick_22; 08-08-2007 at 10:18 PM..
Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
procpuarie

Model: 7280
Carrier: Mike Telus

i'm almost positive that the blackberry doesn't use EVDO. I use telus and no blackberries use EVDO.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 AM   #5
procpuarie

Model: 7280
Carrier: Mike Telus

I'm form the telus network and blackberries don't use EVDO. i don't think you need EVDO only 1x service
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by procpuarie View Post
i'm almost positive that the blackberry doesn't use EVDO. I use telus and no blackberries use EVDO.
I think that is incorrect.
I believe the 7250, 7130, 8703e and 8830 ALL use EVDO. Where are you getting your information from please?

Check out Telus' page - even that says EVDO.

products & services / business solutions / data services / devices and accessories / PDAs and converged devices / BlackBerry Solutions - TELUS Mobility - Quebec
Old 08-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
cache_r_joe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Telus (Canada)

That is indeed incorrect. I have a 7250 with Telus and I have EVDO. The desplay shows 1XEV. Depending on where you are you may have to update your roamer list and you may have to be in a certain area. I'm from Moncton and I can't update the Roamer list from here I had to do it in Halifax. If you are in that area, let me know and I'll let you know how to do it, or if you want to PM me I'll pass it on to you.

Pain is Temporary... Pride is Forever

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
sK8z

Hi!
hope i can be of help.

I have a 7250 and most of the guys in my company do as well. Everyone else in the compnay has a 7250 with EVDO, so it does exist.

its a PRl update (as you found out from the website) and the reason the dealers don't know about it is becuase they can't do it.

the only aliant store that seems to be able to is the Downeast store on the Bedford Highway which is their main tech facility. i havent taken mine down yet because unlike bell canada Aliant want $25 or somethign for the flash (bell it's free, go figure right?)

hope that helps!
Closed Thread