Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
c13tay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Orange
Default Gps

Please Login to Remove!

Does the 8700 have a GPS receiver built in, just waiting to be activated ???

If so - how do you activate ???

if not - which BB's do ??

thanks
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

It depends upon the provider. My 8703e is with VZW which does not have an activated internal GPS antena. So to combat this I am purchasing an external GPS BT Puck antena. Other providers do have the internal GPS enabled.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Review
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

That sux that gps is there but verizon won't activate it. Any idea why they have it disabled?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
sinebar

Model: 8703e

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
It depends upon the provider. My 8703e is with VZW which does not have an activated internal GPS antena. So to combat this I am purchasing an external GPS BT Puck antena. Other providers do have the internal GPS enabled.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Review
So blackberry 8703e models come with GPS only for certain service providers? I got my 8703e from Sprint and it has full GPS. In fact I got the GPS service yesterday, tried it out and it worked great. It did take about 24 hours for the service to get activated though.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

It's really that Verizon is notorious for crippling devices that they sell.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
blakeatl

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
It's really that Verizon is notorious for crippling devices that they sell.

Glad I don't have them. Can't you hack the phone or is it also a no service issue?
Old 12-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by c13tay

thanks
I don't think anyone has really answered your question. You asked about the 8700 - the 8700's do NOT have a built in GPS receiver. The 8703e does (and its a GPS *receiver*, not just an antenna - you need more than an "antenna.") On the 8703e, Verizon has deactivated the GPS so you can't use it, while Sprint has it activated. But if you're using an 8700 of any flavor - c, g or whatever - there's no GPS receiver in it.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
mark0341

Model: 8330
PIN: E Tree's
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (BLACKBERRY 8703e (ALLTEL): BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

The 8703e for Alltel has GPS. If you want an external GPS receiver/antenna the GlobalSat BT-359 is one of the best. Cost is $99.99.

Last edited by mark0341; 12-16-2006 at 10:04 AM..
Old 12-15-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
DallasFlier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0341
If you want an external GPS antenna the GlobalSat BT-359 is one of the best. Cost is $99.99.
Not singling you out in particular, but this information keeps getting said wrong, and it gets confusing. The GlobalSat is NOT a GPS *antenna*, its a GPS *receiver* and you need more than an "antenna" to pick up GPS signals. Its confusing because there ARE "external GPS antennas" that can be used with some receivers for better reception - but the BT-359 isn't one of them, and an "antenna" will not allow your BlackBerry to receive GPS signals.

A TV antenna won't allow you to watch TV, a radio antenna won't let you listen to the radio, and a GPS antenna won't allow you to use GPS!

Last edited by DallasFlier; 12-15-2006 at 03:25 PM..
Old 12-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier
Not singling you out in particular, but this information keeps getting said wrong, and it gets confusing. The GlobalSat is NOT a GPS *antenna*, its a GPS *receiver* and you need more than an "antenna" to pick up GPS signals. Its confusing because there ARE "external GPS antennas" that can be used with some receivers for better reception - but the BT-359 isn't one of them, and an "antenna" will not allow your BlackBerry to receive GPS signals.

A TV antenna won't allow you to watch TV, a radio antenna won't let you listen to the radio, and a GPS antenna won't allow you to use GPS!
Actually to get particular an antenna is both a receiver and a transmitter according to the literal definition of an antenna:

"An antenna or aerial is an arrangement of aerial electrical conductors designed to transmit or receive radio waves which is a class of electromagnetic waves."

On the other hand, a receiver only does that, receives, not transmit.

"a receiver is an electronic circuit that receives a radio signal from an antenna and converts the signal into sound, pictures, navigational-position information, etc. Radio and radio receiver are often used specifically for receivers whose output consists only of sound, although other types of receivers, such as television receivers, are technically radio receivers as well."

GPS uses both an *antenna* and *receiver* to complete the location process. In the world of GPS the antenna is used to send the signal to the receiver.

The BB series 8700 (which includes the c, g, r, 03e, and 05g). A side by side comparison is here:BlackBerry

In part you are correct that a GPS antenna does not complete the required two part receiver/antenna dicotomy, for the purpose of this discussion *antenna* is being used inclusively for both the receiver, and antenna.

"GPS receivers passively receive satellite signals; they do not transmit. "
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
DallasFlier

Well, Bruce, I hate to get picky, but an antenna, strictly speaking, *enables* reception and/or transmission of signals, but can do *neither* on its own. If you don't want to take my word for it (Electrical Engineering degree and 28 years in the industry) then lets go to the manufacturer's data sheet for the GlobalSat BT359 which was being referred to. You can find the manufacturer's data sheet HERE.

Note that the manufacturer says that the device is a "SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver" and further down in the description it says "With Bluetooth version 2.0 and built-in ceramic patch antenna, the BT-359 provides faster acquisition times..." So the receiver has a built-in antenna, but its most certainly NOT just an antenna, nor will you ever see it referred to as such, except erroneously such as it has been here.

As I said earlier, you CAN find and purchase a stand-alone GPS antenna - and that's where the opportunity for real confusion arises and why I bothered with the correction in the first place. As a matter of fact, the same manufacturer sells a GPS antenna by itself HERE, and its a really super deal, as you'll see that its suggested list price is only $19.99 compared to the suggested list price of $159.99 for the receiver. It even looks similar to some of the receivers - its a black "puck." But rest assured that if you go buy one after making the assumption that they're functionally the same after reading the erroneous posts here, and expect to use it alone without a receiver to do GPS navigation, you'll end up sorely disappointed - just as you would if you go to Radio Shack and buy a TV antenna and expect to watch the Super Bowl on it.

Last edited by DallasFlier; 12-15-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
backbeat
No longer Registered.

Model: 8700G

Quote:
Originally Posted by c13tay

thanks
Are you sorry you even asked yet?
Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Well, Bruce, I hate to get picky, but an antenna, strictly speaking, *enables* reception and/or transmission of signals, but can do *neither* on its own. If you don't want to take my word for it (Electrical Engineering degree and 28 years in the industry) then lets go to the manufacturer's data sheet for the GlobalSat BT359 which was being referred to. You can find the manufacturer's data sheet HERE.

Note that the manufacturer says that the device is a "SiRF Star III Bluetooth GPS Receiver" and further down in the description it says "With Bluetooth version 2.0 and built-in ceramic patch antenna, the BT-359 provides faster acquisition times..." So the receiver has a built-in antenna, but its most certainly NOT just an antenna, nor will you ever see it referred to as such, except erroneously such as it has been here.

As I said earlier, you CAN find and purchase a stand-alone GPS antenna - and that's where the opportunity for real confusion arises and why I bothered with the correction in the first place. As a matter of fact, the same manufacturer sells a GPS antenna by itself HERE, and its a really super deal, as you'll see that its suggested list price is only $19.99 compared to the suggested list price of $159.99 for the receiver. It even looks similar to some of the receivers - its a black "puck." But rest assured that if you go buy one after making the assumption that they're functionally the same after reading the erroneous posts here, and expect to use it alone without a receiver to do GPS navigation, you'll end up sorely disappointed - just as you would if you go to Radio Shack and buy a TV antenna and expect to watch the Super Bowl on it.
I am not doubting your 28 years of experience nor the stats related to the GPS manufacturer. I am simply stating in this thread the *antenna is being purposfully oversimplified for discussion purposes. The basic premis of an antenna and receivers function are being stated. The 8700 model is inherently capable of GPS functionality without the use of a BT Puck. For whatever reason VZW decided to not make this a reality. Other posts on this site will attest to the same (I am not stating anything that hasn't already been said in other erroneous posts.).

Last edited by brucejr; 12-15-2006 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #14
DallasFlier

Quote:
The 8700 model is inherently capable of GPS functionality without the use of a BT Puck.
<sigh> NO, which goes back to the original question asked. The 8700's, including c, g and r - have NO GPS functionality in them whatsoever - zero, zip, nada. The 8703 however, does - and THAT is the one that Verizon has disabled but Sprint and Alltell support. If the OP has an 8700 of any flavor, there's NO GPS circuitry in it.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

As originally asked by c13tay, as per the Blackberry website

BlackBerry GPS-enabled*: Supports Location-Based Services such as turn-by-turn navigation and mapping, resource tracking, continuity of operations or emergency response teams and transportation and logistics
*Check with service provider for availability, roaming arrangements and service plans. Certain features outlined herein require a minimum version of BlackBerry software.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:42 PM   #16
DallasFlier

Did you bother to READ? The link you quote is, of course, for the 8703e, and YES, that one DOES have built in GPS, as I had just stated. It is absolutely the ONLY 87XX device that currently does! The original poster asked about the 8700, and I quote "Does the 8700 have a GPS receiver built in, just waiting to be activated ???" One more time, the 8700(c,g,r) DOES NOT, the 8703e does. OK?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

no it does not.
I purchased a GPS receiver at Cingular, downloaded BBmaps and it now works
The only issue is no voice prompts but is great.

8700c here
Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 PM   #18
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Did you bother to READ? The link you quote is, of course, for the 8703e, and YES, that one DOES have built in GPS, as I had just stated. It is absolutely the ONLY 87XX device that currently does! The original poster asked about the 8700, and I quote "Does the 8700 have a GPS receiver built in, just waiting to be activated ???" One more time, the 8700(c,g,r) DOES NOT, the 8703e does. OK?
Do you read? I was being specific in my response to him about the 8703e. Note the comment about VZW not enabling the GPS.

"It depends upon the provider. My 8703e is with VZW which does not have an activated internal GPS antena. So to combat this I am purchasing an external GPS BT Puck antena. Other providers do have the internal GPS enabled.

Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Review"

Your threads seem to be venom filled. I would recommend backing down a little. This is supposed to be an open forum for discussion, not hostility.

Last edited by brucejr; 12-15-2006 at 11:27 PM..
Old 12-15-2006, 11:26 PM   #19
DallasFlier

Quote:
Do you read? I was being specific in my response to him about the 8703e.
With all due respect, you were not. You said, and I quote "The 8700 model is inherently capable of GPS functionality without the use of a BT Puck." That was not being specific about the 8703e at all and was giving him false information about the model he DID ask about, the 8700. I was not hostile until you were first, repeatedly arguing AND giving the wrong info, per what I just quoted from your post. 'Nuff said, I'm done.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #20
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Yes, the 8700 are inherently capable, that means can be GPS enabled (either internally or externally). Show me the significant difference (statistically significant, not anecdotal) between the 8700 models other than different providers. When I meen inherently , I mean the technology in each model has the capability of GPS. I don't have 28 years of experience but I do have a basic knowledge of provider driven models and how each decides what they want capable on their particular device. Other threads have discussed the ristricting nature of such a policy and the negative effect of said policy in availability of a particular technology. How this has created a philosophy of switching back and forth between providers for a particular option. This is akin to the 80's and 90's with console games having monopoly on a particular game. Now games are multi consol since the market is there to the benefit of the game manufacturers.