ryusoma
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Video playback on Bold

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all.

i'll admit this is a frivolous question but I wanted to know some facts.

What level of support does the Bold have for video playback? The processor speed should certainly be adequate for 'desktop-level/DVD-quality' Divx files (720p) as my Dell Axim x51v with a similar processor and higher-res screen has no problem.

But I've tried a few files copied from my pc, and they all either return a green-screen with audio, or stuttering audio and video in AVI containers, and the MP4 file I tried played neither audio or video. And yet the preloaded Speed Racer promo clip on the Rogers Bolds seems to play back full-screen without any hiccups. Is this because the clip is using the h264 codec? What file container is it using?

Can someone tell me:

A)Is there/will there be a media player that plays back standard desktop files?
I don't want to be like iPhone/PSP lusers who have to reencode every file just to view on their mobile device.

B)What exact formats does the Bold support properly? If we know what codecs, resolutions, containers, etc then perhaps it would be beneficial to just download content in that format right from the start if it can play back something watchable on the desktop.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Akito

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

I also am curious to know more about the Bold video. I bought the Bold to replace my 8700r and iPod Touch in hopes of having one device instead of carrying around 2 units. I have tried converting divx files to the same settings that I have used on my touch and playback is kinda choppy.

Anyone figure out the right settings for video conversion?
Ryusoma... I tried converting one of my divx files to h264 and I only get audio... no video at all.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
ryusoma

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Telus

can somebody tell me where the preloaded video clips (On Rogers, BMW M3 and Speed Racer ads)are stored in phone memory so that I can extract them and analyze the specs on a PC? The Bold's media player identifies them as MP4 files but I have no data besides that on codecs or bitrate.

MP4 itself is a fairly common desktop media file container, but it's how the contents are written that really matters..
Closed Thread