BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #1
MPScan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default VZ8830, Unlock Code: Obtaining w/o paying retail?

Please Login to Remove!

I've read from many sources that you can get a VZ 8830 unclock code direct from Verizon when you pay full retail for the phone.

I've also heard, they changed their policy recently. Specifically, in the past week, they will provide this unlock code even when you haven't paid full retail. The only criteria is that you are a customer in good standing for more than 60 days.

Is this true? According to posts, effective 7/27/07, anyone with an 8830 can call VZ and, as long as they are a customer in good standing for 60+ days, get an unlock code from them.

Has anyone had luck calling Global Tech Support and obtaining an unlock code when they didn't pay full retail for the phone?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
Carrier: *

Tell them by law they must give you the unlock code. Written law (yes, there is one about unlocking GSM) does not depend on "If you paid full retail or not". Nicely tell them they are required to unlock the phone by law and if the person on the phone is giving you a hard time nicely ask for their supervisor and reexplain the "by law" thing to them.

I had to unlock the GSM on a Sony Vaio a few months back, but Sony didn't support unlocking the radio on a laptop that runs Vista because HyperTerminal (used to enter the ATDT unlock codes) in no longer part of Windows. Also, Sony didn't support unlocking on an OS that wasn't preinstalled on the laptop from the factory (i.e. XP, which has HyperTerminal). My solution, I installed HyperTerminal myself, calmly called Level 1 support, explained that I have everything working fine, just need the code and that unfortunatly for them they must provide it due to US law. The guy understood my request, but had to speak with his supervisor to get authorization because it was a unique situation that the "average user" doesn't usually have. Supervisor escalated it to Level 2 which gave me the code no questions asked. So, sorry for the long story, but it is law... they must do it. People should have been able to do it this way long before this latest update came out.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
Dean

Carrier: Verizon
Default No need to pay full retail

I just called and even though I did not pay full retail, I spoke with global support and it was unlocked in 10 minutes. I did have to have a non-verizon sim card or it would not work. They were really nice about it.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
ssbands04
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Agreed, mine got unlocked in about 3 minutes
Old 08-09-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
Theogenes

Does this mean Verizon is no longer the antichrist? ;)
Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 AM   #6
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post
Does this mean Verizon is no longer the antichrist? ;)
Are you crazy.. Let all the other users keep thinking that ;)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Tell them by law they must give you the unlock code. Written law (yes, there is one about unlocking GSM) does not depend on "If you paid full retail or not". Nicely tell them they are required to unlock the phone by law and if the person on the phone is giving you a hard time nicely ask for their supervisor and reexplain the "by law" thing to them.
While this tactic may work simply based on "scaring" a customer care rep... there is absolutely no US law that requires a carrier to provide you with an unlock code for your device.
Along side that, there is also no US law that makes it illegal for a carrier to lock the phone in the first place.
They are allowed to lock phones, and they are not forced to unlock at your request.

The legislation you are referring to (as written into the Digital Milennium Copyright Act) simply makes it legal for a consumer to unlock a GSM mobile device, whereas previously it was a crime to do so.
This legislation is often misunderstood by most people.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-09-2007 at 06:02 AM..
Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #8
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
While this tactic may work simply based on "scaring" a customer care rep... there is absolutely no US law that requires a carrier to provide you with an unlock code for your device.
Along side that, there is also no US law that makes it illegal for a carrier to lock the phone in the first place.
They are allowed to lock phones, and they are not forced to unlock at your request.

The legislation you are referring to (as written into the Digital Milennium Copyright Act) simply makes it legal for a consumer to unlock a GSM mobile device, whereas previously it was a crime to do so.
This legislation is often misunderstood by most people.
I was wondering if someone would say something about this "law". Who in their right mind would get on the phone and say "its the law!!" and not even know exactly what "law" they are attempting to quote. I am sure half the CSR's would say riiiiight its the law OK here is your code sir please don't arrest me.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post

I had to unlock the GSM on a Sony Vaio a few months back, but Sony didn't support unlocking the radio on a laptop that runs Vista because HyperTerminal (used to enter the ATDT unlock codes) in no longer part of Windows. Also, Sony didn't support unlocking on an OS that wasn't preinstalled on the laptop from the factory (i.e. XP, which has HyperTerminal). My solution, I installed HyperTerminal myself, calmly called Level 1 support, explained that I have everything working fine, just need the code and that unfortunatly for them they must provide it due to US law. The guy understood my request, but had to speak with his supervisor to get authorization because it was a unique situation that the "average user" doesn't usually have. Supervisor escalated it to Level 2 which gave me the code no questions asked. So, sorry for the long story, but it is law... they must do it. People should have been able to do it this way long before this latest update came out.
Please show me this law. Where?
Closed Thread