Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
squeakr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile
Question UMA and battery problems?

Please Login to Remove!

I have the T-Mo router and have everything working great. I want my N devices back though and see others having success with the DLINK DIR-655. I purchased and set up the router and configured everything to get it working correctly. I now have no call related issues, but have seen a drastic drop in my battery life. It has dropped in half on both my wife's and my phones. All is working on the data and UMA side for all devices (computers and phones) involved, but the battery life is drastically reduced. Is anybody else experiencing the same decreased battery level with the non- T-Mobile routers?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:41 PM..
Old 10-30-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
purepinay

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've been using a Netgear WNR834B,and haven't had any issues with battery life. I've been able to last 3 days without charging.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #4
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

The Tmobile marketing material says their routers have some settings that help battery life.

Also if you can get DD-WRT firmware onto your regular router that is supossed to help. I have a Linksys WRT54GS running DD-WRT and it does seem to extend my battery life. I was just in a hotel where I could only use their wifi connection and the battery drained noticeably faster. Was into red in less than 2 days where I can normally go about 3 on my home wifi.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
dwc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: tmob

The power saving features are called WMM and APSD, and are under wireless QOS on the Linksys router. See if your router has these features and enable them. They are designed to save power on voip wireless devices.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc View Post
The power saving features are called WMM and APSD, and are under wireless QOS on the Linksys router. See if your router has these features and enable them. They are designed to save power on voip wireless devices.
Thanks for explaining what these are for. I Googled a long time to find this kind of info and never did. All I could find was people saying to enable WMM without saying why. Qos is at least easy enough for even me to figure out.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
squeakr

Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

QoS is the Quality of Service setting that give priority for transmission across the data stream (ie VOIP has level 1 priority, Multimedia stream has level 2, standard data has level 3 and the QoS is supposed to limitthe lower priority transmission packets in order to maintain higher priority for the lower level packets tomaintain clear signal and constant transmission, note this is a basic example). The WMM (Wireless Multimedia Managment) essentially does the same prioritization on the data transmission packets but is more for music and video than the VOIP. I have never seen it written that either of these has anything to do with energy saving (not saying it does or doesn't just that I have never seen this documented). As per T-Mobile rep (if they know what they are saying) the battery saving feature is hard coded into the firmware and has nothing to do with these settings. I did have them enabled on the D-Link, but they made no difference. I have seen others running this router and havingno complaints of battery life. I would like to know their feedback and what they are seeing or how they are set up.
Closed Thread