Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #21
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Is that just with the Curve or can you do that with a laptop too?

BTW, When I picked up the 8320 they kept trying to sign me up for their Hotspot plan as if that would make my 8320 better somehow. And now it looks like all the Curve would care about is H@H.

It would be nice if someone would write a matrix of available plans and how they work with:
Code:
                        T-Mobile Hotspot
               No plan    H@H     Hotspot     Both
8320 data        No?      free     ???        free
8320 UMA         ???      free     ???        free
laptop data      No        No      free       free

Open Wifi network
               No plan    H@H     Hotspot     Both
8320 data       free      free     free       free
8320 UMA        mins      free     ???        free
laptop data     free      free     free       free
(If anyone has any info to fill in the missing pieces of that table, let me know and I'll try to keep it updated...)
(Edit 1: From T-Mobile's H@H FAQ - H@H does not let you use your laptop at T-Mobile Hotspots)
I was re-visiting this topic and I decided to take a close look at your chart.

The chart is little bit confusing.

For example, under the T-mobile HotSpot, you say 8320 UMA, it's "???" for No plan, Free with H@H, "???" for HotSpots, and Free for both.

So if it's free for H@H and "???" for HotSpots, how can it be free for both? Because you don't know what it is for HotSpots.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
redsocks23

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Summary:

If you have H@H, all domestic calls over UMA are not charged against minutes.

International calls over H@H are different.

How are International calls different? Can somebody explain that? I thought its part of the plan since you are on wifi.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #23
slimothy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile

Can the H@H add-on be placed on a data-only standalone BB plan?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #24
canesfins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
Carrier: BTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsocks23 View Post
How are International calls different? Can somebody explain that? I thought its part of the plan since you are on wifi.
If you call from an international wifi location to a US number then you are ok - if you call from an international wifi location to an international number then you pay international long distance charges.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #25
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

All calls made or received over wifi are no-charge, regardless of geographic location.

If you make an international call, normal international rates will apply.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:28 AM   #26
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

If you do NOT have the H@H feature added, all calls made domestically are counted in whatever voice plan you are on. The same for international usage.

If you do have the feature: all calls made and received domestically through any unrestricted WiFi will be unlimited. Currently, as a byproduct of the H@H, there are advantages for international. They are as follows:

If you have the H@H feature and you are located outside the US and connected to a WiFi:

xxx61656; Calls to a US based # are not charged.
xxx61656; Calls to an international # are charged at the T-Mobile long distance rate and not the roaming rate for that country.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #27
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrecyguy View Post
The chart is little bit confusing.
Sorry, let me know what I could do to it to make it less confusing. Should I say "H@H only" and "Hotspot only" for the middle 2 columns? Should I use the term "unl" or "unlimited" instead of free for the H@H UMA entries?
Quote:
For example, under the T-mobile HotSpot, you say 8320 UMA, it's "???" for No plan, Free with H@H, "???" for HotSpots, and Free for both.

So if it's free for H@H and "???" for HotSpots, how can it be free for both? Because you don't know what it is for HotSpots.
By both, that means you have signed up for both plans so it is definitely going to be free since that would mean you would have H@H and it is free if you have H@H. Having Hotspot in addition to H@H is not going to disable a benefit that you get from the H@H plan. The "both" column will thus contain "the best of both worlds" and is only there for comparison purposes to contrast what you get if you sign up for only one or the other.

The thing I don't know is if you can connect at all at a T-Mobile Hotspot if you don't have H@H (I've been meaning to stop by a Starbucks and see since I don't have either plan, but I haven't made it out to one yet). If it does allow you to connect then obviously the answer would change to "mins" for the No Plan column since you need H@H to get the unlimited part of it.

Another thing I don't know and I don't plan to investigate is whether having a Hotspot plan would have any affect on using UMA in a Hotspot location. I'm guessing no since I seem to recall a T-Mobile faq item that said something to the effect that neither of the two plans (Hotspot vs. H@H) offered services that the other provided - but they were responding to a question about whether laptops could use a Hotspot if you had H@H, not the other way around. My guess is that the ??? on the Hotspot column would be the same answer as the "No plan" column, but someone with Hotspot and no H@H should check to be sure.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #28
redsocks23

Model: 8700g
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
If you do NOT have the H@H feature added, all calls made domestically are counted in whatever voice plan you are on. The same for international usage.

If you do have the feature: all calls made and received domestically through any unrestricted WiFi will be unlimited. Currently, as a byproduct of the H@H, there are advantages for international. They are as follows:

If you have the H@H feature and you are located outside the US and connected to a WiFi:

xxx61656; Calls to an international # are charged at the T-Mobile long distance rate and not the roaming rate for that country.
Thanks for the clarification. So as long as you call any US phone number, you are not charged anything additional.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 AM   #29
jsanchez

Model: 9500
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuberprof View Post
So can you tether your BlackBerry connected to a T-Mobile Hotspot (i.e. Starbucks) to your laptop, basically giving you T-Mobile Hotspot service for free?

After reading all this, I'm not sure that this question was answered. If I buy the unit with H@H service, can I tether the BB to my laptop while sitting in a Starbucks TMO Hotspot and enjoy the Wifi on my laptop browsing?

Is it supposed to work? Anybody actually done it?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #30
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just a note that I tried to add some explanations to my "table" post above to help explain what my rows and columns were showing. Not sure if that helps those who might have been confused by it...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #31
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theuberprof View Post
So can you tether your BlackBerry connected to a T-Mobile Hotspot (i.e. Starbucks) to your laptop, basically giving you T-Mobile Hotspot service for free?
Anyone had a chance to try this yet???

If this is possible, you can essentially get the tmobile laptop hotspot access for only 9.99 instead of 19.99 by way of tethering to your 8320.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #32
anthonymoody

Model: 8700

Quote:

Holy cannoli - what are the T-Mobile long distance rates and where can I find them?

TM
Old 09-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #33
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:55 AM..
Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
secrecyguy

Model: 8100

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post

If this is possible, you can essentially get the tmobile laptop hotspot access for only 9.99 instead of 19.99 by way of tethering to your 8320.
Not sure what you are trying to say...

But the original post did say that he got H@H and he was able to access T-mobile's HotSpots at Starbucks.

But of course, you have to tether your 8320 Curve to your laptop. (hooking up the phone to the laptop to use as a modem)

Also HotSpots are not $19.99. I already checked because I am in the process of updating my comparison chart. The HotSpots is $29.99 extra per month if you sign up for 12 months and unlimited data.

There are cheaper plans available though for HotSpots.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #35
markbb99

Carrier: T-Mobile US

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd78 View Post

Yes this works - it's not as fast as laptop directly connected to the wifi - but it's still reasonable speed - and for me at least it is worth the saving.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #36
anthonymoody

Model: 8700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Found with a quick search of the T-Mobile website:

International Dialing From the US

Dave

Thanks so much (and thanks for enabling my laziness :D)

TM
Old 09-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #37
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

FWIW - I updated my chart in post #3 above to include data on what happens if you don't have an H@H or Hotspot plan at a T-Mobile Hotspot site (basically you can make calls with UMA for minutes, and you can browse the sales site for their Hotspot site just like any unregistered laptop user...)
Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #38
DaCurryman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780

I just got my 8320 Curve in the mail today and I wanted to sign-up for the H@H service. Is it no longer $9.99/month? I don't see the promotional price on the site anymore (I see it as $19.99 when I log into my account). That would really suck since it was really the only reason I chose the phone.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #39
Pinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCurryman View Post
I just got my 8320 Curve in the mail today and I wanted to sign-up for the H@H service. Is it no longer $9.99/month? I don't see the promotional price on the site anymore (I see it as $19.99 when I log into my account). That would really suck since it was really the only reason I chose the phone.
The price went upto 19.99/mo for single line users and 29.99/mo for family plan as of October 3rd
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #40
Pinman

So what is the final say to this question???

If I own an 8320 Curve and also have Hotspot@Home service...can I search the web on my curve if I am in wifi (i.e. in a hotel/airport) without paying for an additional data plan??