BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default 4.1.6 > 5.0 w/out re-activation?

Please Login to Remove!

I followed the upgrade instructions here, and it clearly states at the last step that "after you complete the upgrade process, users must reactivate their BlackBerry devices. Instruct users to connect their BlackBerry devices to the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager to receive new SRP routing and service name information".

I want to avoid this! Can anyone point me to a knife-edge cutover doc that explains how to migrate to 5.0 (exchange) while (a) keeping all database data / user info intact, (b) not requiring users to re-activate, and (c) doing this all at once therefore minimizing downtime?

I noticed the section of the doc that details how to "Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on a new computer and create a new BlackBerry Configuration Database", but it doesn't seen appropriate to create a new DB considering I don't want to lose any configuration info. Any help would be most appreciated.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
lawdogg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa82 View Post
I followed the upgrade instructions here, and it clearly states at the last step that "after you complete the upgrade process, users must reactivate their BlackBerry devices. Instruct users to connect their BlackBerry devices to the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or BlackBerry® Web Desktop Manager to receive new SRP routing and service name information".

I want to avoid this! Can anyone point me to a knife-edge cutover doc that explains how to migrate to 5.0 (exchange) while (a) keeping all database data / user info intact, (b) not requiring users to re-activate, and (c) doing this all at once therefore minimizing downtime?

I noticed the section of the doc that details how to "Install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on a new computer and create a new BlackBerry Configuration Database", but it doesn't seen appropriate to create a new DB considering I don't want to lose any configuration info. Any help would be most appreciated.
I don't think you can do that with a knife-edge cutover. Only way to do it is to upgrade in place.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #3
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

I know when we did our 2.2.6 --> 4.1.3 upgrade, the handhelds reactivated, but they all did that automatically on their own (some took 10 minutes, others took upwards of 2 hours). The users didn't need to do anything (which was nice). I'm hoping that 4.1.6-->5.0.0 works the same way. Can anyone confirm?
Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
Raiden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310i
Carrier: Vodafone

Yes please confirm this, i am on 4.1.6 want to go to 5.0 without re-activating the devices...
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
dmbascfan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

I thought that was the whole point of the Transporter service...to "seemlessly" migrate users from one domain to the other...i.e. 4.1.6 to 5.0????
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
SEP
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: -

havent seen where this transporter option is yet...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #7
LevinU

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

I updated yesterday from 4.1.6 to 5.0.0 and users don´t have to activate manually. the only thing was that a automatic activiation was running for updating some servicebooks, policies, etc
Old 05-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

The transporter tool is part of the 5.0 Enterprise Resource Kit. I'm sure it migrates users from one server to another, as it says it does, but what about migrating the configs? All BES-related settings? I'd like to migrate everything, as fast as possible, without any inconveniences to the end user...
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEP View Post
havent seen where this transporter option is yet...
It is in Resource KIT for BES 5.0.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinU View Post
I updated yesterday from 4.1.6 to 5.0.0 and users don´t have to activate manually. the only thing was that a automatic activiation was running for updating some servicebooks, policies, etc
Can you point me to the documentation that you followed? I'm assuming this was on Exchange? Did you use the Transporter Tool?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
The transporter tool is part of the 5.0 Enterprise Resource Kit. I'm sure it migrates users from one server to another, as it says it does, but what about migrating the configs? All BES-related settings? I'd like to migrate everything, as fast as possible, without any inconveniences to the end user...
Some of the documentations talk about building a new BES 5 domain and moving users from the BES 4 domain to the new one. You would use the Transporter to move users from the BES 4 domain to the BES 5 domain.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #12
Justa82
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
Some of the documentations talk about building a new BES 5 domain and moving users from the BES 4 domain to the new one. You would use the Transporter to move users from the BES 4 domain to the BES 5 domain.
My understanding of this particular upgrade process is that you lose all device / configuration settings as you migrate to the new BES. I'm looking to avoid this, and to avoid re-activation.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

You dont lose device config, but you have to create a new ITPolicy as it is knot imported with transporter. An install over old BES will keep ITPolicy.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
fmsadmin

Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevinU

Can you point me to the documentation that you followed? I'm assuming this was on Exchange? Did you use the Transporter Tool?
I am also looking for the same answer as Justa82 to verify if you used the cutover upgrade process as described in the initial post and what documentation was followed as I can not risk forcing device activations to 400+ users.

I am reading the 5.0 Upgrade Guide that states on page 44 devices will have to be reactivated. If anyone has performed the cutover upgrade using the same configuration database without having to reactivate devices, please let me know what steps you followed or how you got around it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #15
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

performing a move with the transporter does not require devices to have to manually reactivate. They go through what is similiar to a mini activation where they'll get new service books; just like if you move from one BES to another BES within the same database.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
usererror
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
Carrier: Verizon Droid

I just finished my upgrade from 4.1.6 to 5.0, and nothing was syncing to my BB after about 5 minutes, saw this thread, and saw that some users took a while to update. I took the battery out of my phone (RIM's fix for everything?) and boom i got my test emails as soon as it rebooted. The new Web interface is going to take some exploring to get used to.

Odd thing, the web gui works on my desktop but does not work in IE on the actual server? I am not sure if the server just needs a reboot or not. Anyone else see that? No actual errors on the page, just blank white and "Done" at the bottom.

Last edited by usererror; 07-15-2009 at 11:08 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
Z Tuned
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

To use the transporter service, does each BES installation have to share the same database?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmsadmin View Post
I am also looking for the same answer as Justa82 to verify if you used the cutover upgrade process as described in the initial post and what documentation was followed as I can not risk forcing device activations to 400+ users.

I am reading the 5.0 Upgrade Guide that states on page 44 devices will have to be reactivated. If anyone has performed the cutover upgrade using the same configuration database without having to reactivate devices, please let me know what steps you followed or how you got around it.
I think you were reading about a NEW server and a NEW database.

Using Cutover method, users do knot need to be reactivated.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #19
V1GG3N

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Phased Migration Documentation

I too am doing a phased migration of BES from 4.1.6 to 5.0. This just happens to coincide with our migration to Exchange 2007 (from 2003) so we're looking to move mailboxes and BB devices together. Obviously we'll move the mailbox first, then move the user to the new BES server using the Transporter.

My issue is that I dont see a lot of documentation about how to perform a phased migration as outlined in the BESX Upgrade Guide on page 49. I couldn't find any reference to this procedure in the Admin or Install guides either. Ideally I would like to move to a new local DB on the new server.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you
Closed Thread