johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengrus
Could you please share how you set your Reply to address in this case for 4 different addresses?

Thanks!
Sorry if my post confused you...I only have ONE reply to address and that is the way I like it. I own the domain and that way I can switch ISPs, carriers, whatever and be assured that I will have the same e-mail addy forever.

I have 4 addresses that forward into Gmail and the reply to is the same for all.

hope that clears it up.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #62
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Anyone that concludes my instructions on my site can be enhanced in any way or expanded to cover other possibilities, please pm me.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #63
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Thank you for your reply, John.

A quick question:
Messages can be removed from BB in two ways:
one is manually delete which you have "handheld and mailbox" option,
and the other is being removed after set number of days, let's say 30 days.

I know the first method will get message off both your BB and mailbox, how about the second method? Will the messages be removed from the mailbox server after the set number of days (30)?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #64
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

A quick question:

I know the first method will get message off both your BB and mailbox, how about the second method? Will the messages be removed from the mailbox server after the set number of days (30)?

Thanks!
Your question relates to BIS 2.0, I guess, because you are refering to reconciliation of different mailboxes. I am on 1.8 an thus am not familiar with how 2.o works.

Sorry....anyone else have an answer?
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #65
Winston S.
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:

A quick question:

Thanks!
I was under the impression that e-mail would only be deleted from your handheld after thirty days if you didn't save it. I believe the server copy stays where it is as long as you don't do anything to it.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #66
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Guys,

I've set up my Cingular and GMail accounts according to the instructions and everything seems to work as planned. Unfortunately, this solution leaves me with two sets of emails in my Messages application on the BB. One set in the GMail icon and an equal set in my Cingular Icon results in TWO sets in Messages. Is this the way it's going to look with this setup or am I doing something wrong? GMail forwards messages to my Cingular account, and since I have my GMail account listed in BIS 2.0, the polling delivers a second set. Am I missing a filter or sould I accept the fact that I'll always have two sets of emails in my Messages application on my BB?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #67
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Your gmail address should not be set up in BIS, just your standard Cingular address with a reply-to and auto-BCC of your gmail account, then the filter setup in Gmail.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:56 PM   #68
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

aviationwiz,

I'll have to reread the instructions. Actually, I've found a solution that works well. I'll have to compare my slight change with what others are doing. My fix is that I left my GMail account in Cingular but have created a filter called "Polling Filter" in the GMail account on BIS 2.0. I instructed the filter to not forward any messages that arer sent to my GMail account. This effectively shuts down polling and leaves me with a single message in my Message app on my BB. So, when I get a GMail message that's forwarded from GMail, if I need to respond, I just use PD Reply as new using my listed GMail account.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:35 PM   #69
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Ah... I see the difference between what I did and what the instuctions called for. Some of you who have taken this method have used your BB account as a GMail or Yahoo! extension. I actually USE my Cingular account with a small group of family and friends, so when I use my @mycingular.net account to send a message, I want my replies to go there NOT GMail. I think I'll keep my setup as is. That way, when messages go to my GMail account, I can still reply to those without sacrificing my Cingular account.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #70
aviationwiz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I guess you're one of the few that actually uses their carrier address as an email address.

I used to use my VZW address the same way, but then decided not to, as it made it easier to put it all into Gmail, made it easier for others trying to contact me, and for looking back at old stuff.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #71
cdysthe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have been following this thread with interest and tested the setup with success.

However, I have two email addresses. Both these accounts are currently forwarded to my Gmail account. Just to make sure: There's no way through this setup, or by modifying it somehow, to have each of these accounts dealt with separately like Gmail itself is able to where I can have replies get the correct from address based on which address the email was sent sent to? As far as I can see I would need two Gmail accounts and have two carrier addresses/accounts to acheive this on the BB, right? Or am I missing something?

//C
Old 06-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #72
infernox
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviationwiz
Your gmail address should not be set up in BIS, just your standard Cingular address with a reply-to and auto-BCC of your gmail account, then the filter setup in Gmail.
I think I followed kbart63's instruction to the tee. And at the end of my Gmail filter setup, I get this.

Matches: from:(-myname@gmail.com)
Do this: Forward to [email address], Forwarding Disabled

My Gmail messages are not being forwarded. I tested mycingular.blackberry.net account and it works almost instantly. Anything I am doing wrong?
Old 06-19-2006, 05:17 AM   #73
kbart63
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile PAYG

I have not been following and I also do not have a BB anymore, but I just want to point out at the end of my directions there are some links to other threads. One of the thread called "BES BIS Devoe" has instructions to use the built in filtering of the web BIS setup to allow similar instant email functionality with any email account (gmail or otherwise). The only requirement is that you can set the source account to forward all messages to your bb.net address (I did not test on BIS1x, so if it works post). You then set a BIS web filter to stop the duplicate messages from showing up (instead of using a gmail filter).

If the gmail filter setup is not working, try disabling the gmail filter, set gmail to forward all messages to your bb.net address, and create the appropriate filter in the BIS web setup.

I do not want to write all the directions again so please try the link. Follow the steps for the bb.net address, not the optional Yahoo! accounts. It is a little wordy, but just remember that the main difference between the Gmail directions and the link below is where the filtering happens, nothing else.

BES BIS Devoe - Or How to Use BIS2 Filters and Yahoo! for all your instant eMail

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kbart63; 06-19-2006 at 05:47 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #74
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
Sorry if my post confused you...I only have ONE reply to address and that is the way I like it. I own the domain and that way I can switch ISPs, carriers, whatever and be assured that I will have the same e-mail addy forever.

I have 4 addresses that forward into Gmail and the reply to is the same for all.

hope that clears it up.
john,

thanks for the great instructions. as a new bb user, i found them to be simple and clear.

i set up my first gmail account as explained and it's working great !

i'm still confused on how i would set up my 2 other email accounts (1-gmail, 1-yahoo)on my bb. would i set them up the same way i set up the first gmail account?

the thing is, i do not want 1 reply address for all 3 of my email accounts. i would like each account to have a it's proper reply address. is this possible?

another thing i noticed was that the email doesn't show the senders email address, and that you have to select the option "Show Address". is there an option to have it show the address with the "From & Subject" lines by default?

i am getting emails in both "messages" and my "name@tmo.blackberry.net". is there an option to have my emails arrive in the "name@tmo.blackbery.net" only? seems kind of redundant to have them in both.

and finally, when i get an email, i only see the little yellow envelope icon on the top left. is there any way possible to have it show the number of emails there are on the actual "name@tmo.blackberry.com" icon before i open it? similar to how mac's mail program displays it in the dock.

thanks again for your gmail instructions. any help with my other questions would be appreciated.

thank you

btw. love your signature
Old 06-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #75
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC
john,

thanks for the great instructions. as a new bb user, i found them to be simple and clear.

i set up my first gmail account as explained and it's working great !

i'm still confused on how i would set up my 2 other email accounts (1-gmail, 1-yahoo)on my bb. would i set them up the same way i set up the first gmail account?

the thing is, i do not want 1 reply address for all 3 of my email accounts. i would like each account to have a it's proper reply address. is this possible?

another thing i noticed was that the email doesn't show the senders email address, and that you have to select the option "Show Address". is there an option to have it show the address with the "From & Subject" lines by default?

i am getting emails in both "messages" and my "name@tmo.blackberry.net". is there an option to have my emails arrive in the "name@tmo.blackbery.net" only? seems kind of redundant to have them in both.

and finally, when i get an email, i only see the little yellow envelope icon on the top left. is there any way possible to have it show the number of emails there are on the actual "name@tmo.blackberry.com" icon before i open it? similar to how mac's mail program displays it in the dock.

thanks again for your gmail instructions. any help with my other questions would be appreciated.

thank you

btw. love your signature
First off, I have to correct you. I did not write the instructions, the tech. part of it is WAY over my head. Stinsondog did a ton of work compiling the info. and Kbart63 came up with an even easier solution so thank them.

I am just a big proponent of this setup because I was so frustrated that I finally bought a BB and then learned I had to wait 15 minutes for polling to get my e-mail.

More to your point; I do not know how to fix the filters etc to do what you want to do. I am not a tech guy, just a salesman who learns this stuff on a need-to basis. There are many highly qualified people here who may be able to help you but I am not one of them.
Hopefully someone will chime in with answers to your questions, good luck and sorry I could not help further....
Old 06-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #76
TBC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMO

Gotcha, thanks John, Kbart63 and Stinsondog!
Old 06-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #77
andynyc

Model: 8100c

How does one prevent e-mails composed on the Blackberry from appearing in the gmail inbox? Is it necessary to create a 2nd e-mail filter in gmail that keys in on the Blackberry signature and "skips the inbox"?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM   #78
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynyc
How does one prevent e-mails composed on the Blackberry from appearing in the gmail inbox? Is it necessary to create a 2nd e-mail filter in gmail that keys in on the Blackberry signature and "skips the inbox"?

I like this because it gives me a running copy on Outlook in my office ( after outlook pops gmail) of e-mails sent and received. Without a copy of what I send I only get half the conversation.

Take a look at Stinsondog's page:
http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Gmail.htm

In the "old" directions step 7 refers to how the sent e-mails go to "archive" not inbox. Maybe you should use the old directions (which still work they are just longer) and incorporate this option. Just a thought, check it out.

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 06-19-2006 at 03:29 PM..
Old 06-19-2006, 03:32 PM   #79
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think that instructions for this very clever system are perhaps a little unclear on this point. I assume that everything arrives in your Inbox. At least from the description of the filter provided... (I don't actually understand this statement: "Messages sent from your BlackBerry will be bcc'd to your Gmail address and will be labeled as "Sent Mail" and "Inbox".")

I use a similar system for my work email and the BCC of sent emails arrives in my Inbox. I then file them into project subfolders (which contain both received and sent emails) so the Inbox is actually a convenient place for them to arrive.

Last edited by cooperpwc; 06-19-2006 at 03:35 PM..
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM   #80
cfjacksn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
andynyc,

It appears that you set up your GMail and BIS accounts the same way I did. You set up forwarding in GMail to your BIS account AND added your GMail account to BIS. The thing that seems to be misunderstood about this whole process is that in effect, the posted instructions, as is, replaces your @myprovider.net account WITH GMail or Yahoo!. This is fine for people who prefer to use one or the other, but there are some of us who prefer to retain our @myprovider.net account separately. So, like you, I saw two messages in my Message folder; one each from the Cingular and GMail icons.

My solution was to create an UnPolling Filter in my BIS account. I let Gmail continue forwarding to my Cingular account (rapid delivery) but added a second filter in my GMail account within Cingular that tells it to not forward everything to my BB that is addressed to my GMail account. This effectively shuts down polling of my GMail account by Cingular, but allows me to be able to use Cingular as a "reply-from" address. It also means I only have one message instead of two. The GMail app on my BB remains empty.

I hope this helps a bit.

Incidentally, Since the messages are not forwarded to my BB, yet since I'm on BIS 2.0 and have no access to my messages other than what's on my BB, what ultimately happens to the messages that are polled but not forwarded? Do they sit in some corner server somewhere in the dark, waiting for their 30-day expiration date?

Last edited by cfjacksn; 06-19-2006 at 04:55 PM..
Closed Thread