Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular
Default "Content Compression" and "Content Protection"

Please Login to Remove!

On my 7100g, under settings/options/security, there is something that says "content compression" and another item that says "content protection". Can someone explain what each of these options does.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:46 PM   #2
jdh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Content Compression, as the name implies, compresses the data on your Blackberry to save space. Information is dynamically compressed/decompressed as you access it. Turning this off will gradually de-compress everything on your device, and you will see your available memory go down proportionally. While there is perhaps a small performance hit to having this option turned ON, I haven't found it to be particularly noticeable for most daily use.

Content Protection actually encrypts the data stored on your Blackberry, using ECC (Elliptic Curve) cryptography. I think the default setting is 168-bit or thereabouts, unless you're running against a BES, in which case an IT Policy might set it to a higher encryption strength.

This particular setting (Protection) will noticeably slow down your Blackberry, but it will also ensure that all of the data on the device is protected against hardware-based attacks (ie, disassembling the device and trying to read the data directly off the chips).

While it's a nice feeling, it's mainly relevant for DoD and law-enforcement level security, and probably not required by most users unless you're storing extremely confidential data (a good password and the normal BB password protection will protect your data well enough for most people, since ten incorrect passwords will wipe the device).
Old 05-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #3
Eric5273
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks for your explanation. You are correct that I do not need the protection option turned on.

I was more curious about the compression option. This was turned on by default on my 7100g. However, I have very little data stored on my device. I use my BlackBerry mostly for personal use, and only have about 30-40 contacts in the Address Book. I rarely use the Callender and never use the Tasks or MemoPad. And I usually do not have more than about 20 emails stored on my BlackBerry at any one time. Currently my BlackBerry shows 15.5 MB free space. So I think I am going to disable the compression option. I just wanted to make sure it was what I thought it was before doing that.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
rsun
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t/T-Mobile/Verizon

I disabled it on my 7100t, I already feel the device is a dog, wanted to try to squeeze as much performance out of it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
MountainTopCO

Model: 9180
Carrier: Verizon

Does the BB device have a default encryption with out setting up Content Protection? If so, what is it?

We are debating if we realy need Content Protection. We have some user needing HIPAA complience. SoI need to know what the default ecryption level is.
Closed Thread