BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
jriesenfeld

Model: 8700
Question questions about 8700 - want advice for 1st time purchase

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I've been looking to get an integrated phone PDA for a while (don't know the technical term), and was pointed to the Blackberry. Saw the 8700g on Amazon for basically free with a new 2 yr Tmobile contract. Seems like that's the best deal out there - correct me if I'm wrong. Before I make the final plunge, I have a couple questions:

1) I currently have a Palm PDA and have been using that as my calendar/to do list. Now I need to work with 2 separate and distinct calendars - one work and one personal. Does the Blackberry software offer this ability to have multiple calendars? Also, is there a sample screen of these calendars online anywhere?

2) Is it possible to sync my current Palm PDA data with the Blackberry?

3) My personal computer is an iBook G4 with OSX. Does the Blackberry desktop software run on the Mac? If so, are there any online screen shots of what the desktop software looks like? Any problems or concerns with using Blackberry with Mac?

4) There is a USB charger cable that hooks the Blackberry up to the computer. Can you synch with this too?

Thanks. Nice forum by the way.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriesenfeld
Hello,

I've been looking to get an integrated phone PDA for a while (don't know the technical term), and was pointed to the Blackberry. Saw the 8700g on Amazon for basically free with a new 2 yr Tmobile contract. Seems like that's the best deal out there - correct me if I'm wrong. Before I make the final plunge, I have a couple questions:

1) I currently have a Palm PDA and have been using that as my calendar/to do list. Now I need to work with 2 separate and distinct calendars - one work and one personal. Does the Blackberry software offer this ability to have multiple calendars? Also, is there a sample screen of these calendars online anywhere?

No you can't have separate ones, buy you can sync with 2 pcs. I suggest using codes in your events.

2) Is it possible to sync my current Palm PDA data with the Blackberry?

Yes but see 3. You can transfer your data with the Intellisync software

3) My personal computer is an iBook G4 with OSX. Does the Blackberry desktop software run on the Mac? If so, are there any online screen shots of what the desktop software looks like? Any problems or concerns with using Blackberry with Mac?

I don't have a Mac. Ask Seattle18 your questions. The desktop software is for a PC so I am not sure about 2 in light of 3

4) There is a USB charger cable that hooks the Blackberry up to the computer. Can you synch with this too?

Yes standard cable charges and syncs.
Thanks. Nice forum by the way.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
guttapercha
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
Default As long as someone's asking about Amazon..

I'm about to pull the trigger on the 8700g too, but Amz only offers two plans when you buy the product. Neither plan meets my needs. Can it be changed immediately without penalty?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Maan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttapercha
I'm about to pull the trigger on the 8700g too, but Amz only offers two plans when you buy the product. Neither plan meets my needs. Can it be changed immediately without penalty?
I had the same issue with Amazon's limited plan when I bought mine 2 weeks ago. However, I was able to just walk into a T-Mobile store and change plan without penalty.

Now, I am not sure if my Amazon rebate will be affected. I somehow don't think so because I upgraded the plan (didn't downgrade) and kept the same T-Mobile number that was orginally provided to me. Could someone please confirm this?
Closed Thread