Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Immer9er

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Navigator and Music?

Please Login to Remove!

Is it possible to listen to Music (and switch songs) while using vz navigator?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Hold down the menu button (the one with all of the dots on it) and switch to your music player and do the same to switch back you need to do this to hop back and forth. Kind of cumbersome but it can be done. You may be able to assign a conv key to make the process easier.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
SpeedVX

You can use both at the same time, but when I tried it I ran into a bit of a problem. Whenever the voice prompts from VZ Navigator would break into the music to announce directions, the music would stop (naturally), but wouldn't start again after the voice prompt was done (nuts).

The only way I could get the music to restart would be to use the BB key to jump back to the music player (as pointed out by Blackberry Guru) and hit play again. The music would then pick back up where it had been paused by VZN.

Oh, and if you are going to run both, be sure to have your car charger. I just about killed my battery (which had been full) on a trip from North Jersey to NYC and back (about an hour and half all told).

Then again, I was also running bluetooth and making a call or two, so I was working the phone a bit.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
Immer9er

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedVX View Post
You can use both at the same time, but when I tried it I ran into a bit of a problem. Whenever the voice prompts from VZ Navigator would break into the music to announce directions, the music would stop (naturally), but wouldn't start again after the voice prompt was done (nuts).

The only way I could get the music to restart would be to use the BB key to jump back to the music player (as pointed out by Blackberry Guru) and hit play again. The music would then pick back up where it had been paused by VZN.

Oh, and if you are going to run both, be sure to have your car charger. I just about killed my battery (which had been full) on a trip from North Jersey to NYC and back (about an hour and half all told).

Then again, I was also running bluetooth and making a call or two, so I was working the phone a bit.
How do you use both at the same time? Did you somehow re-assign the volume keys in vz nav to be the volume keys of the media player? Also, do you know if there eventually will be an update so music will come back after the voice prompts from the vz nav?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
SpeedVX

Using them both at the same time wasn't a problem. I'm not sure which one I started first (I think it was VZN) and then I used the BB key to go back to the home screen (or maybe I used the red key -- not sure which) and launched the music player.

As to an upgrade to fix the problem, that I don't know about. I hope so.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
SpeedVX

Oh, and you also asked about the volume keys.

That was another thing I noticed -- the volume of the voice prompts came through much quieter than the music. I didn't play with the unit enough to figure out how to fix that, but since I was running the whole thing through my car stereo (via a cable from the headphone jack) I just turned up the volume on the car stereo when I heard the music shut down since I knew a voice prompt from VZN was coming.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #7
rob_p

Model: 9500

Wirelessly posted

Agree on all points. I was traveling today had my Storm plugged into the rental car radio and all was fine until "Emily" gave out her words of wisdom at which point I has to take my eyes off the road to het the music running again.

Here's to hoping RIM fixes this in a future release.
Closed Thread