jacytan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Globe
Default Using LDAP api to get GAL

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

Im trying to develop a simple application wherein i get the GAL (Global Address List) from the Exchange Server. This is similar to the Lookup function of the Address Book. I was told to use the LDAP api but i just can't get it to work. I've tried the tutorial in the api but still no luck. I always get communication_error. Im not sure whether i connected to the server successfully or not, since the api does not contain any information about the said error. Can anybody shed some light about this? is there something i need to configure in the BES or the Exchange Server for this to work?

Also, if somebody was able to implement the LDAP api successfully, can you please post a simple tutorial about it? appreciate it a lot!

Thanks
Old 01-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
growse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
Carrier: Vodafone

I've been having a similar problem getting the LDAP API to work in the simulator, this time connecting over the internet to a host. I'm coming to the conclusion that the LDAP api doesn't work properly in the simulator.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
jacytan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: Globe
Default Simple Authentication in LDAP

Hi there,

i was able to successfully implement the LDAP api using the actual device.
i did not try it anymore in the simulator since there were a lot of complaints and i didn't want to waste my time. Now, i have another problem.

I am using Simple Authentication to access LDAP and everytime i try to access the LDAP, the blackberry prompts me for a username and password. is there a way to hardcode the username and password so that the user doesn't need to be hassled? or can i get a username and password of the blackberry device...is this possible?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
growse

I just placed my order for the code signing keys so I can test on the device.

I haven't got around to investigating this problem yet, but have you checked out the LDAPPasswordCache API - initially, this seems like a place you can store usernames / passwords for LDAP servers.

I havn't tried the above though, and I don't know if it persists across reboots. If it does, I imagine there's a way of storing credentials to disk locally?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
growse

After receiving my keys and signing my apps, it seems that LDAPQuery is either implemented badly, or not at all in the 4.7 OS. A simple piece of code that makes a call to an LDAP server and counts some records records a successful connection and 0 results, but in fact makes no attempt to connect to the LDAP server. This is on a 9500 connected to a BIS. I would tell RIM, but it seems they want £189 off me to raise a support request. I'd rather just implement the LDAP protocol myself.
Closed Thread