Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
DaveAnderson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Questions on T-Mobile and Wi-Fi Use

Please Login to Remove!

Love my Curve and I'm hooked with T-Mobile. However, I'm trying to get my bill to come down a little so I knocked off the HotSpot @ Home Add-On feature @ $19.99.

#1) I can still use Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet and browse via Wi-Fi. Is this costing me any sort of money or is it part of my blackberry unlimited data package?

#2) I can still make phone calls through UMA, right? It just costs me my minutes?

#3) If #2 is yes, what about on weekends? Can I use unlimited UMA on weekends even with no HotSpot @ Home Add-On?

Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #2
ltj13
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Internet won't cost u anyrthing.

You can still make calls over uma but they come off ur monthly minutes. Its just like making a call normally.

Last edited by ltj13; 01-21-2008 at 06:14 PM..
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAnderson View Post
Love my Curve and I'm hooked with T-Mobile. However, I'm trying to get my bill to come down a little so I knocked off the HotSpot @ Home Add-On feature @ $19.99.

#1) I can still use Wi-Fi to connect to the Internet and browse via Wi-Fi. Is this costing me any sort of money or is it part of my blackberry unlimited data package?
When you are connected and using Wi-Fi you are not touching the T-Mobile network so they have no reason to charge you anything. So you're safe.

Quote:
#2) I can still make phone calls through UMA, right? It just costs me my minutes?
Correct.

Quote:
#3) If #2 is yes, what about on weekends? Can I use unlimited UMA on weekends even with no HotSpot @ Home Add-On?
Without a HotSpot@Home feature on your T-Mobile account you are billed just like you would be if you were connecting via a cell tower.

Think of HotSpot@Home as just another way to connect to the T-Mobile network. Nothing changes with regard to billing unless you have the HotSpot@Home feature.

Dave
Old 01-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
ericthebikeman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Quote:

Browsing is free.

Quote:
Yep. Unless you have the H@H service it will take your minutes.

Quote:
It acts the same as using a cell tower. Night, Weekends, Mobile-Mobile, and MyFaves would NOT use minutes. In simplistic terms you basically have a cell phone tower in your house.
We wired up the basement at work, which is essentially a bunker with zero signal penetration, and got great results. Saved $80-100k over having the telco bring in repeaters.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
amc1

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint

These were the exact answers I needed.
I am with Sprint and the signal in my house stinks. My wife cannot get a signal at work which is an art museum and basically a concrete bunker.
So - to go with this option (and I would really rather have a Curve than a Pearl and I know my wife would do better with a Curve) we would have a signal at home and at work. We have a wireless set up at home and she has public wifi at work.
Only 9 more months of a contract with Sprint - booo hooo.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

9 months? I would just pay the money and switch. You may even be able to get TMo to pay the ETF for you.

Make sure you look into routers and make sure your router is compatible. Some routers have difficulty with UMA.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc1 View Post
We have a wireless set up at home and she has public wifi at work.
Before signing into a contract with T-Mobile you may want to try and test out the public wireless your wife has available to her at work. UMA will not work on every single wireless network you find and if you are able to get UMA on your device the call quality may be horrible if the bandwidth available is low.

When I worked for T-Mobile there were always folks who neglected to do some research before signing on only to call later complaining they lived in an area with zero cell coverage (I never understood that one, they signed up with T-Mobile so how is it T-Mobile's fault they live in an area with no coverage... check the coverage map for where you plan on using the phone before signing the contract maybe?) or their 8320 wouldn't work on UMA with <insert name of some unknown 3rd party wireless router or public wireless network here>.

Take what the salesperson in the store with a grain of salt especially if you hear them say "Oh yeah, you'll get UMA anywhere you can get wireless."

Dave
Closed Thread