Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
steve2112
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T
Default Lost the BES settings on my BB after fooling with personal email add

Please Login to Remove!

Hopefully I didn't mess things up too bad.

Backstory: I have a personally owned T-Mobile Pearl. When I first got it, I had the $19.99 Blackberry add-on, and setup my home email on the device using the desktop redirector. I got laid off from work, so in order to cut down on expenses, I removed the Blackberry plan, and dropped down to the 300 minute $29.99 plan only. I used it only as a phone.

Fast forward to today - I started a new job last week, and I received a new Cingular (AT&T) 8700C. I configured it at work for use with a BES server, and installed DM 4.2 - everything was working great.

I got home tonight, and of course I had to play and see if I could get the device to receive both my work email and my personal email. I was looking at the "Personal Email Setup" icon, so I figured I would be able to do both. I am under the impression that this is possible, but I may be wrong.

All I did was plug it into my sync cable at home, and of course it recognized the new PIN on my 8700C, I confirmed in the desktop manager that I wanted to use this device PIN instead of my Pearl's PIN.

From one of my home computers, I sent 2 test messages - one to my work address, and one to my personal email address. They both arrived as I expected.

Then from the BB I did the same thing - sent 2 test messages to my work address and my personal email address. They both arrived, but here is my problem:

All the messages come from my personal account now, so when I checked the email address of where it came from, they were from my Cox email account - not my work address.

Is there any way to easily fix this? Obviously I cannot use the device like this at work, as my home email address will show up as the sender.

Also, the email option RECONSILE NOW is gone, so somehow I mucked it up and it seems like I deleted my work BES settings.

The Blackberry receives email for both accounts now, but I can only send from one - the personal home one (so it at least has some of my company's BES stuff in it somewhere - I just need to find out how to reverse this stupid mistake).

Is it possible to fix this here at home, or do I just need to do a cable sync at work to get it back to normal?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.

Steve2112
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Plugging the BB into an improperly configured Desktop Manager is a good way to make your corporate BES mail come to a screeching halt.

If you do a cable sync at work it should start working again. I suggest uninstalling your Desktop Manager at home and reinstalling it configuring only for BIS (not BES) and then you'll be able to plug in at home too without the problems.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:38 PM   #3
steve2112
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Thanks for the reply and warning. The only thing is that since my Pearl was for personal use, I do believe I installed the DM in BIS mode, because I do not have a BES server at home.

Does that make sense? I forgot what the install screen looked like, is it BIS or BES, or is there an option that has both? If it is just one or the other, it was definately installed in BIS mode, otherwise my personal Pearl would not have worked for the few months that I had the Blackberry service from TMO.

I am not going to do anything else at home, unless I can get my corporate BES delivered mail and access my cox.net account with the 8700C... I hope I am making sense.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

1st goto Options>Advanced>MessagingServices and choose which one you prefer to be your default.

2nd, when composing an email, scroll up to the header and in the SendUsing line make sure you choose the appropriate messaging service.

3rd, make sure your BIS account is set up properly.

4th, reinstall DM on your home pc as suggested above.

5th, re-sync device on your work pc and generate a new encryption key.

After all this, double check #1.

If this doesn't get you to the right place, pray.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You might even try this:

Go to Options >Security Options >General Settings. Scroll down to "Services." Highlight "Desktop" and click the menu key and select "Regenerate Encrypton."
Old 05-26-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2112 View Post
Thanks for the reply and warning. The only thing is that since my Pearl was for personal use, I do believe I installed the DM in BIS mode, because I do not have a BES server at home.
You mentioned using Desktop Redirector at home and that will mess up BES service books when you connect your work BB at home. You need to perform a clean uninstall and then reinstall using the BIS/internet option only (no redirector). If you use the latter option there's no way that your BES service books should be affected.

Last edited by takeshi; 05-26-2007 at 01:55 AM..
Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #7
jtdarden
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8xxx
PIN: member2393
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

By the way, when you remove/uninstall DM. Make sure you delete the following registry keys (disclaimer: do this only if you either know what you're doing, or are familiar with editing the registry):

HKEY_CurrentUser>Software>RIM
HKEY_LocalMachine>Software>RIM
Closed Thread