Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
deano_185

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Limiting the size of incoming emails

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all. New here and new to my BB, so plenty of questions to ask!

I realise the search button is my friend, however after trolling page after page in these forums, i just cant find the answer i need.

So, i just got a BB pearl, and have connected it to my work email (enterprise) - now, i am paying for 50% of my bill, and my work expenses the other 50% for me. However, for all my incoming emails, i need to know how to limit the size of them.

I used to use an ASUS pda phone, which gave me the fantastic option of "only download X amount of an incoming email" - which i had set to 2kb. Basically it would only download 2KB of the email, would never pull through attachments or signatures (unless i clicked on them and hit download) etc etc. However my BB is just pulling through the entire email, attachments and all, and on the first day of having it connected to email, i have almost used 75% of my monthly data allowance.

Being in australia, my data plan only allows me for 1MB of data, paying ridiculous amounts for excess data over that. (I realise how much this sucks, but its not the point im trying to make)

Can anyone tell me how i can limit or restrict the amount of the email that gets pulled through to my BB? I found the option "do/dont download message header" etc but it doesn't seem to have the option im looking for....

thanks all!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Welcome to the forums!

All BB's work the same in that when an email is sent to the device - only the first 2Kb are sent. For shorter emails, this can be the entire email (especially since they are text only, and no HTML to bulk it up). If you get to the bottom of the email and there is a 'more available' option (or your device is set to 'auto more'), then the device will pull down the next 2Kb of the email.

There is no way to control this - it's just how it works.

Opening attachments will use more data, though. How much depends on the size of the file.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
deano_185

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

thanks so much mate! thats exactly what I needed to hear. i can only assume the reason i chewed through so much data today is becuase when i connected, well did the "enterprise activation" - all these new apps showed up in my menu, i can only assume they were sent from my works BES or something....not to worry though, i have downloaded an APP that tracks my data (minimon) so i will just keep an eye out.

cheers!
Closed Thread