Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
ExtMtnBkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Newbie Question

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, I just got a 7280 from work, connected to a BES running 4.0. I was wondering if it was possible to set up personal email (i.e. gmail or other pop mail) on it as well. Could someone please explain how to set this up or direct me to a tutorial? Thanks, in advance
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #2
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtMtnBkr
Hey, I just got a 7280 from work, connected to a BES running 4.0. I was wondering if it was possible to set up personal email (i.e. gmail or other pop mail) on it as well. Could someone please explain how to set this up or direct me to a tutorial? Thanks, in advance
You could always forward the messages to your work or blackberry email account, other than that I beleive you would have to have the system admin allow it on the BES and odds are they wouldn't allow it
Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #3
salsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

You can setup personal email on your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Internet Service (aka BlackBerry Web Client). Talk to your carrier about setting up a BIS account for you. Once it is setup, you can 'integrate' up to 10 personal email accounts for your BlackBerry.

Note: If your company has an IT policy on the BES which prevents another messaging service, you will not be able to send using the BIS account but that shouldn't be an issue if you just want to receive the email.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You need to set up an account on the BlackBerry Web Client (also known as the BlackBerry Internet Service) from your wireless carrier. Assuming you are using Cingular (as an example), you log into the Cingular BWC, located at https://webclient.blackberry.net/Web...ite=mycingular and register your BB. This will set up a second e-mail address on the BB (you@mycingular.blackberry.net or whatever). You can then use the BWC to collect the e-mail from up to 10 POP3 accounts - every 15 minutes - and push it down to your BB. When you reply, you can either reply from the BES work) account, or the BWC (personal) account. Works great.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:45 AM   #5
ExtMtnBkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

thanks for the quick replies. i work for a small company with a relatively relaxed it policy. i dont want to foward b/c the point (for me anyway) of the personal email is to keep my personal messages off the BES server. I'll give it a shot this afternoon and see how it works.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #6
AboutBlackBerry
BANNED

Model: 7290

Quote:
Correct, if you will go to the BlackBerry Webclient you can setup those other accts - i'm using my corporate email (we do have a BES) and also using the webclient for my email from my website, gmail, and hotmail. Works great!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
ExtMtnBkr
Thumbs Must Hurt

i got it working, so far so good, thanks again for the help. I have 1 Q though. I set up my gmail account, and as anticipated there was a 8-10 min delay in accessing the pop messages, so i set gmail to foward to the webclient and now i receive 2 messages on my handheld when i get an email, one immediately (presumably from the foward) and then one 10 mins later (presumably from the pop access). Is the only way to prevent this by choosing either the pop access or the fowarding and eliminating the other method?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #8
salsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Is the only way to prevent this by choosing either the pop access or the fowarding and eliminating the other method?
Yes
Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #9
sdrury

Model: 7100g

I have my work email set up and it works but I can not get my verizon accout to work. I get the error message that it can not be authenticted.

Any ideas?

Steve
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
snetzel

Model: 7100T

Thanks NJBlackberry! Works great! And, it also proves that our server has to be updated from 3.6 to open pictures. When sending/opening through BIS, pics come through just fine. Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
netPOSER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
You need to set up an account on the BlackBerry Web Client (also known as the BlackBerry Internet Service) from your wireless carrier. Assuming you are using Cingular (as an example), you log into the Cingular BWC, located at https://webclient.blackberry.net/Web...ite=mycingular and register your BB. This will set up a second e-mail address on the BB (you@mycingular.blackberry.net or whatever). You can then use the BWC to collect the e-mail from up to 10 POP3 accounts - every 15 minutes - and push it down to your BB. When you reply, you can either reply from the BES work) account, or the BWC (personal) account. Works great.
I visited that link using FireFox and got the error after login that my browser isn't support. Then I assumed it's all WAP-based and used my BB and got an error about frames, selected the login link, and after logging in the site doesn't support the BB browser--wtf? Now I have to use IE?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #12
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
i got it working, so far so good, thanks again for the help. I have 1 Q though. I set up my gmail account, and as anticipated there was a 8-10 min delay in accessing the pop messages, so i set gmail to foward to the webclient and now i receive 2 messages on my handheld when i get an email, one immediately (presumably from the foward) and then one 10 mins later (presumably from the pop access). Is the only way to prevent this by choosing either the pop access or the fowarding and eliminating the other method?

I believe GMail allows you to turn off the POP3 access which would mean you would go with forwarding your GMail to your BWC. I prefer this method because there is absolutely no delay in receiving your GMail on your BB. I have been online and registered my GMail address on a website and I instantaneously receive the notification on my BB, works awesome!
Old 08-18-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by netPOSER
I visited that link using FireFox and got the error after login that my browser isn't support. Then I assumed it's all WAP-based and used my BB and got an error about frames, selected the login link, and after logging in the site doesn't support the BB browser--wtf? Now I have to use IE?
I got the same message but just clicked on the do not show again and proceeded using Firefox. For the most part it worked fine just a few little quirks, like when you try to delete all of the messages at once by clicking on the box in the gray area to select all of them, it doesnt work only selects the first one and then you have to select all the others manually. I worked around this by going to the home page and clicking on empty the delete folder, all gone. Other than that Firefox works fine in it.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Closed Thread