Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Question VZW upgrade to new BIS...??

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so I just learned that TMO is the only carrier to have upgraded to a new version of BIS that allows for manipulation of the "reply-to" address, not only in the way PocketDay does (which only determines what address is replied to when a respondant uses the REPLY feature), but also the display address (allowing the BB user to make an email from his/her BB seem to come from any email address they'd like).

Now, of course, I'm not surprised the VZW isn't leading the way in something like this (we're pretty much the last to get and do anything), but has anybody heard if and when they may make the effort to upgrade? This feature is a long time coming.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Well no one knows. Seems T-Mobile is working out the kinks so Cingular and Verizon will implement a bug-free(?) version. My question is do they partner with Yahoo, or MSN, or Google for the mailbox integration.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Well no one knows. Seems T-Mobile is working out the kinks so Cingular and Verizon will implement a bug-free(?) version. My question is do they partner with Yahoo, or MSN, or Google for the mailbox integration.
Can anyone provide the specifics regarding enhancements to the TMO BIS? The only feature upgrade I am aware of is the ability to edit the REPLY-TO address displayed in outgoing messages sent from the BB. Other details?
Old 01-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
whsbuss

I can't remember exactly where you can find the BIS features..... its either here on the BB forums or maybe at TMO.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Tmobile Upgrade Features

Take a look at the attachment.

The yahoo integration is awesome, so I hear. I am working on an update to my TIPS website to reflect this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
I can't remember exactly where you can find the BIS features..... its either here on the BB forums or maybe at TMO.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf T Mobile BIS Upgrade.pdf (24.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 01-23-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Take a look at the attachment.

The yahoo integration is awesome, so I hear. I am working on an update to my TIPS website to reflect this.
Thanks Stinsonddog. I knew I saw that somewhere.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
KonTiki

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

I am a doubting Thomas here, and a believer of if it aint broke dont fix it. I really hope that Verizon does not opt for it, Leave well enough alone. I have no problems with the system the way it is, and for me the addition of a yahoo mail service is no big deal. My yahoo account I use for junk only whnever I do not want to give my real email to anyone. I remember the pains people went through when T-Mo instituted this and the number of weeks of griping that followed. Even if in the long run it is to be better I dont want to go through weeks of instability to get there when I am stable right now.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Don't you want full reconcillation

Wow I love my BES since it went that way. I think all the carriers will go here out of necessity, pushed by gmail and yahoo for attention in this space. I think the difference might be that they won't push the zebras into the crocodile infested waters all at once. Swim when you are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I am a doubting Thomas here, and a believer of if it aint broke dont fix it. I really hope that Verizon does not opt for it, Leave well enough alone. I have no problems with the system the way it is, and for me the addition of a yahoo mail service is no big deal. My yahoo account I use for junk only whnever I do not want to give my real email to anyone. I remember the pains people went through when T-Mo instituted this and the number of weeks of griping that followed. Even if in the long run it is to be better I dont want to go through weeks of instability to get there when I am stable right now.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:15 AM   #9
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

If it will delete mail from my pop server when I delete it from the BB, I am ALL OVER IT.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 AM   #10
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default Reconcilliation

See the chart here for Cingular. I assume it will be the same for all carriers.

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...id=6440&page=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
If it will delete mail from my pop server when I delete it from the BB, I am ALL OVER IT.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:18 PM   #11
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I am a doubting Thomas here, and a believer of if it aint broke dont fix it.
Understood, but this isn't a case of something broken being fixed. This is a case of something providing a level of functionality that can be improved to provide even MORE functionality. Personally, the ability to configure the From address on an email sent the the BB is priceless! Pocketday allows you to configure what address is used when someone responds by clicking Reply, but it will always show that it came from the Reply-To address configured in the VZW BWC. I manage multiple work email accounts and could really use the upgraded capabilities.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #12
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmadrid
Understood, but this isn't a case of something broken being fixed. This is a case of something providing a level of functionality that can be improved to provide even MORE functionality. Personally, the ability to configure the From address on an email sent the the BB is priceless! Pocketday allows you to configure what address is used when someone responds by clicking Reply, but it will always show that it came from the Reply-To address configured in the VZW BWC. I manage multiple work email accounts and could really use the upgraded capabilities.
What I've done is written some perl scripts on my linux server (bbreply and bbrelay) that gives me From address capabilities. Its a workaround that works but its somwhat kludge. Having BIS functionality is the way to go.

I do know Verizon has been testing it to replace the BWC and I hope its sooner rather than later. According to RIM, BIS deployment is a wireless carrier decision.
Closed Thread