Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
jlock1980

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02UK/vodafone Spain
Default BIS/BES Wifi help!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone

I am new to blackberry and have been scouring the forum trying to find out why my blackberry is not registered on the BIS/BES when I have a data plan with o2. I am currently in Spain working and managed to get my blackberry to work on the Wifi I have in my apartment here (tested by turning mobile network off when roaming) but I have since purchased a Pay as You Go sim on Spanish Vodafone and since I put that one in I can no longer get the wifi to work although I can still browse and use Twitter app. The GPRS is in lower case (gprs) and wifi symbol is grey even when I put my o2 sim back in.

I have been on the BIS website (am in Spain so it automatically takes me to the Spanish version) to register an account, entered in the pin and IMEI data but I get an error message saying my handheld is not registered with the 'provider of servicios inalambricos' (Assume this is spanish for phone carrier?) It tells me to go into the HRT and register but when I do that I get a message saying that the message has been sent but nothing changes and they remain empty. I also tried to put in the APN settings as advised on the forum but again, nothing has changed. I am not sure if I need the APN setting for o2 or vodafone Spain?? Can anyone advise me as to what I can do?

Ideally I would like to keep the vodafone sim in because I need a Spanish number for work, and then try to access bb messenger on wifi....anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks to any who can help me...I am driving myself nuts with this!

Regards
J.x
Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Your BB's PIN is currently registered with a BIS account on O2 UK.

You therefore cannot register it with a vodafone spain BIS account.

You will not get data while using the vodafone spain SIM.
This includes BBM (even over wi-fi) because you are currently using a SIM without BIS.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #3
jlock1980

Thanks Midnight....I was coming to that conclusion after trying everything else! So, just to confirm, if i buy a prepaid sim with a data plan with Vodafone in Spain I will be able to use BBM etc again? I dont want to buy another one if I will have the same problem!

Thanks again for your help and assistance

Jessica
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlock1980 View Post
So, just to confirm, if i buy a prepaid sim with a data plan with Vodafone in Spain I will be able to use BBM etc again?
Not exactly. You'd need a prepaid SIM with a BLACKBERRY data plan, and to my knowledge, they don't exist from Vodafone.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

As I said, because the PIN of your phone is registered with O2, even if you managed to get a Blackberry data plan prepaid sim card, you would not be able to register with that carrier for BIS.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
jlock1980

hmmm so no way around this then? the only way I can use blackberry services here in Spain on a local sim is to pay through the nose? grrrrrr Forgive me for being dense but am i right in assuming that i need BIS for blackberry messenger? Because I was able to use twitter app and browse the internet on wifi with the spanish vodafone sim i just couldnt use facebook or messaging apps. I assume that twitter doesnt use BIS but facebook etc does?

Sorry for all the questions!
Jessica.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No, you need to ROAM on your O2 SIM in spain and pay through the nose.
You will not get BIS, until the BIS provisioned SIM (O2 sim) is in your BB.
Yes you need BIS.
And yes, thats correct.

Closed Thread